OT: Terminal 5 Hotel to be Sofitel

Old Oct 13, 05, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
OT: Terminal 5 Hotel to be Sofitel

The same company that is changing Le Miridien at Gatwick to Sofitel will also run a Sofitel at Terminal 5 to open in 2008.

Terminal 5 hotel deal signed
(12 October 2005 15:54)

Arora International hotels has singed a £65m deal with the British Airports Authority (BAA) to purchase Heathrow’s only hotel at the forthcoming Terminal 5.

The 600-room property will operate as Accor Sofitel and will be directly linked with Terminal 5.

It should be completed in time for the opening of the new multi-million pound terminal in March 2008.

Surinda Arora, chairman of Arora International hotels, said: “Our focus will now be on working with BAA and other partners to deliver this landmark five-star Sofitel in time for the opening of Terminal 5.”

Margaret Ewing, chief financial officer of BAA, who has spent more than a year on the deal, said: “This sale brings to a successful conclusion our overall strategy for the project. Our first task was to select the right operator and we are delighted with the Arora/Sofitel combination.”

The deal is due to complete when the construction of the hotel begins in March 2006.
Old Oct 13, 05, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Just about the only major hotel chain that does not award BA Miles to guests is given the contrat to run a hotel that will be exclusively used by BA passengers !!!
Old Oct 13, 05, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RJB
Just about the only major hotel chain that does not award BA Miles to guests is given the contrat to run a hotel that will be exclusively used by BA passengers !!!
I would bet (not much though) that we will see Sofitel becoming a BA partner in the future-- Gatwick and Heathrow both Arora owned will be a strategy to get Sofitel into the program, which until now may not have been worthwhile for either side.

OR

It was intentional so BA miles are not given out thus saving the hotel £££ for the guests arriving and departing on BA flights. You can take the convenience and no points or travel off site and get your points.
Old Oct 13, 05, 6:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RJB
LOL! You're very sharp RJB! Indeed this is a surprise, but I bet we see Accor magically become a partner in the future. Unfortunately Sofitel's own programme is pretty ropey as well - I think you get a EUR200 voucher after a certain amount of spend (thought it was EUR 2,000 but that sounds far too generous)?
Old Oct 13, 05, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by PhilH
Unfortunately Sofitel's own programme is pretty ropey as well - I think you get a EUR200 voucher after a certain amount of spend (thought it was EUR 2,000 but that sounds far too generous)?
There was an article in the most recent InsideFlyer which attempted to explain Accor's somewhat baffling array of loyalty programs. I have a Sofitel Gold Privilege card (through Amex) although their website gives little indication of what benefits this gives, and certainly it doesn't differentiate between Gold and Silver. Phhh!
Old Oct 13, 05, 6:50 am

Hmmm, Arora manage the crew hotel at Heathrow. Not my favouritest place to stay, although presumably Sofitel will impose more exacting standards than my own dear employer.
Old Oct 13, 05, 7:32 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Should've been a Kempenski, or an Intercont.
Old Oct 13, 05, 7:45 am

Yikes. Just priced a night in the old Meridien/new Sofitel for LGW for a potential CE trip next February. The cheapest room rate is coming out at £149 + VAT! Used to be from £99 + under LM and could always find a room at £119+. I hope this isn't an attempt by the new owners to gouge the market as I for one won't be paying £175 to stay in that place!
Old Oct 13, 05, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aristoph
Yikes. Just priced a night in the old Meridien/new Sofitel for LGW for a potential CE trip next February. The cheapest room rate is coming out at £149 + VAT! Used to be from £99 + under LM and could always find a room at £119+. I hope this isn't an attempt by the new owners to gouge the market as I for one won't be paying £175 to stay in that place!

They won't have their promotional rates loaded yet for Feb next year. Wait a couple of months and the price "should" come down...
Old Oct 13, 05, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Sofitel eh? Just as useless as Le Meridien.

aristoph - I am completely with you 100% - I am very against paying over the odds if I'm not going to get any nights towards retaining a particular tier in the hotel programs, unless the hotel in question is a Fairmount/Four Seasons/Ritz Carlton.

Why can't we have a nice HYATT at T5 or something more useful!!!!!
Old Oct 13, 05, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by flyclub
aristoph - I am completely with you 100% - I am very against paying over the odds if I'm not going to get any nights towards retaining a particular tier in the hotel programs, unless the hotel in question is a Fairmount/Four Seasons/Ritz Carlton.
I'm actually not that bothered about reward schemes frm hotels and never let it influence my choice ( heresy! heresy!). But the only selling point of the Gatwick LM in my opinion is its location - even at £119+VAT I reckon I'm paying over the odds for the quality of the room! If they don't drop these prices I will sadly have to review my plans which involve 7am departures from LGW
Old Oct 13, 05, 2:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by BA97.com
There was an article in the most recent InsideFlyer which attempted to explain Accor's somewhat baffling array of loyalty programs. I have a Sofitel Gold Privilege card (through Amex) although their website gives little indication of what benefits this gives, and certainly it doesn't differentiate between Gold and Silver. Phhh!
I too have a gold card on the same basis and am yet to use a Sofitel (might get round to it next year). The brochure thay came with my replacement card implies, but does not explicitly state that I can pick up points based on my spend at any hotel in the Accor group.
Old Oct 13, 05, 4:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, British Airways ID, Lloyds TSB Visa Debit Card
Where did the Arora and Sofitel/Accor connection come from??
Old Oct 13, 05, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by RJB
Time to join Flying Poo? AF elites and Petroleum Club members used to get some good benefits at Accor hotels and especially at Sofitel. (I don't know if that still stands or not.)

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 13, 05 at 4:48 pm
Old Oct 14, 05, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by Tits McGhee
Where did the Arora and Sofitel/Accor connection come from??
It is not unknown for some hotel groups to use other brands on their properties where they think it will gain extra business. Millennium & Copthorne, for example, have a number of properties branded as other brands apart from Millennium and, er, Copthorne.

It would be commercial suicide to use the Arora brand at LHR, a brand which is unknown outside the UK and not that well known inside it (although their Manchester property is OK). Cliff Richard is a major investor in Arora, don't you know!

Search this Thread