FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BBH swoops for British Airways account (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/481425-bbh-swoops-british-airways-account.html)

MANCHESTER Oct 11, 2005 8:23 am

BBH swoops for British Airways account

So BA have a new ad agency after 23 years!!

http://media.guardian.co.uk/advertis...589739,00.html

BBH swoops for British Airways account

Tuesday October 11, 2005

Bartle Bogle Hegarty has scooped British Airways' £60m global advertising account from M&C Saatchi, ending one of the longest relationships in British advertising history.
In an announcement this afternoon, BA acknowledged the contribution of the agency that came up with the "world's favourite airline" slogan but said it was time to "adapt to the changing environment in which we operate".

The decision was widely predicted but deals a serious blow to M&C, whose founders, Charles and Maurice Saatchi, have worked with BA for more than two decades.

The BA commercial director, Martin George, praised BBH, the advertising agency behind campaigns for Levi's, Boddington's and Impulse, for its "outstanding insight" and "proven track record".

"BBH will become British Airways' worldwide advertising agency. It was chosen for the outstanding insight, creative ability and proven track record of delivering effective advertising it demonstrated throughout the pitch process," he said.

"BBH joins us at an exciting time as we embark upon a period of major product and service investment. Its reputation for creativity and strategic thinking will greatly help British Airways maintain our position as a leader in innovative global marketing and advertising."

M&C Saatchi has held the British Airways worldwide creative advertising contract since 1995. Before that it was handled by Saatchi and Saatchi.

Recent campaigns include "Johnny Foreigner" narrated by PJ O'Rourke, and "Club World - More Beds More Places".

"We have enjoyed a long and successful relationship with M&C Saatchi, which has produced many memorable campaigns for us over the years," Mr George said.

"However, we must look to the future now and adapt to the changing environment in which we operate and the needs of our business."

cressers Oct 11, 2005 8:36 am

I hope the first thing they do is ditch the bloomin music.....deeeerrrr dunna duh..

srbrenna Oct 11, 2005 8:39 am

Originally Posted by cressers
I hope the first thing they do is ditch the bloomin music.....deeeerrrr dunna duh..

Hear hear! The Delibes is getting very tedious!

MANCHESTER Oct 11, 2005 9:04 am

I think BA will continue to market themselves along the same lines as before (ie positioning Club as the superior biz class product to premium paying passengers & push the competitive prices to the price sensitive leisure passengers).

To many (ie not the jaded few at FT), 'that music' evokes romantic thoughts of travel, exotic locations, relaxing, returning home from the unknown etc. Therefore I'd be very surprised if it goes!

BBH have clearly demonstrated that they understand BA's needs better that M&C, hence the change....but I think the shift in marketing will be a slow evolution.

But hey, what do I know?! It will probably be a complete overhaul & that's why I'm not employed by an ad agency! It does also look like Willie wanted to make a big statement early on about who's boss & that Lord King & Maurice Saatchi being pals is no longer relevant

krug Oct 11, 2005 10:13 am

Originally Posted by MANCHESTER
To many (ie not the jaded few at FT), 'that music' evokes romantic thoughts of travel, exotic locations, relaxing, returning home from the unknown etc. Therefore I'd be very surprised if it goes!

I rather like The Flower Duet - it was Lord King's personal favourite apparently, and adapted well to Malcolm McLaren's remix (BahrainLad will no doubt know all about this).

I think it is very BA but then as in all things maybe it is time for a change and some more modern music.

As an aside, I think the current ads being run for American Airlines featuring the fat New Yorker (who I think is in one of those mobster shows) does a dreadful piece of work at pitching to a UK market, and is slightly deceptive in that it shows their First Class product, not the derisory Business seat.

PhilH Oct 11, 2005 10:37 am

I agree too. The music is a lovely tune, but has simply been used far too much. Its getting very old and past it now.

BA or bust Oct 11, 2005 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by PhilH
I agree too. The music is a lovely tune, but has simply been used far too much. Its getting very old and past it now.

Oh no..... my BA Amex card quivers in sympathy when I hear that tune... what will I do?

Maybe they could replace it with the the tune to The Dambusters... ;)

The Saint Oct 11, 2005 1:18 pm

Sacrilege. Delibes must be kept.

Don't mind sending it in for a remix, but for me it is BA through and through.

@:-) It is generally a mistake automatically to link new with better. @:-)

Imperial Special Oct 11, 2005 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by BA or bust
Oh no..... my BA Amex card quivers in sympathy when I hear that tune... what will I do?

Maybe they could replace it with the the tune to The Dambusters... ;)

or Thunderbirds :p

knifeandfork Oct 11, 2005 5:29 pm

"London Calling"

It's time.

krug Oct 12, 2005 12:29 am

Originally Posted by knifeandfork
"London Calling"

It's time.

Nice idea ^