Wiki Posts
Search

Am I destined for bad luck with LGW?!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2005, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, UA
Am I destined for bad luck with LGW?!

Took the gf for lunch in BLQ yesterday on an I-class. Thoroughly enjoyable day all-in-all. Lovely weather, lovely food, she loved the food on the flights too(!), and a bit of pasta brought home for good measure.

All fab, except for one thing..... the trip to LGW. Having come a cropper on my last LGW to MLA back in July, I decided we'd stay at the Renaissance on Friday night for a bit more relaxation on both Friday and Saturday morning. All is going smoothly, until we hit J11 on the M25..... whammo! "M25 closed J10 to J8"..... and then, almost two hours later we made it to the hotel.

Transpires that a car fire near J9 had closed the M25 between J10 and J8 and it took us ages to take the diversion.

I feel as though I'm destined to have endless troubles on the road en-route to LGW now!
Old Sep 19, 2005, 12:12 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Why not take the train? Much easier, no parking hassle etc!
Old Sep 19, 2005, 12:23 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
You were very unlucky! Despite living near LHR I much prefer to travel from LGW and have done about 2 CE trips a month at the weekend and only got stuck in traffic once in the last year. Usually only takes 45 minutes door to door.

I have tried the train as it seemed the obvious solution but for me it's at least 1.5 hours and frankly not worth the hassle - even with free weekend tickets.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 2:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by QF Hammer
Why not take the train? Much easier, no parking hassle etc!
For long trips I agree, however being an I-class trip to Europe for lunch veteran ( ), for me living in Cardiff, it would be a very long day if I relied on trains. However, I try and avoid LGW for day trips from Cardiff unless I am overnight as it is a little too far - LHR much more convienient.

Having said that, when I was away for a week last week, I was amazed I could do LGW to Cardiff in 3 hours platform to platform, mainly aided by the train between LGW and Reading not stopping at some of the stops! ^

Arriving into LGW between 0700-0800 on a weekday then driving to Cardiff at that time of day is impossible to do in 3 hours by car due to the traffic on the M25, let alone any accidents, etc.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 4:16 am
bkm

Programs: BA LH AA
Smile

Please BLQ went well..

Perhaps you can let us all know next time you are venturing to LGW, so we can avoid making the journey, as you seem to attract trouble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.