Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another fuel surcharge increase on its way

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2005, 2:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Another fuel surcharge increase on its way

According to the BBC , Virgin Atlantic have announced a £6 hike in fuel surcharges to £30 per sector, effective 7 September. Business analysts expect BA to follow suit.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 2:31 pm

I know we've had this discussion on here...

Originally Posted by GregM
According to the BBC , Virgin Atlantic have announced a £6 hike in fuel surcharges to £30 per sector, effective 7 September. Business analysts expect BA to follow suit.
But this really is b***ocks, isn't it? This must the only business there is that gets away with such behaviour - seemingly the governments of the world care not...

Am I missing something, or are we getting shafted here?

Or Both!
Old Sep 6, 2005, 2:39 pm

Am I missing something, or are we getting shafted here?
Yesterday, the price of unleaded fuel hit £1.04 per gallon. You, the motorist, have no choices but to pay the increased oil price!

The airline industry has no choice but to pay the increase either. We have a choice - either hit you with a surcharge or refund your ticket and make you rebook at a higher fare - perhaps, in retrospect, we should offer you the option. The third option is to carry you at a loss, but as a business answerable to its investors, that is out of the question - particularly as the airline industry is unfairly being shafted by the EU regulations concerning delays over which it has no control (eg Weather, Air Traffic Control etc)!
Old Sep 6, 2005, 2:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Yes - something free will be even less free than before!!!
Old Sep 6, 2005, 3:14 pm

Programs: BD DC, BA EC, AAdvantage, Hhonors and now NZ Aipoints
Originally Posted by bealine
Yesterday, the price of unleaded fuel hit £1.04 per gallon. You, the motorist, have no choices but to pay the increased oil price!

The airline industry has no choice but to pay the increase either. We have a choice - either hit you with a surcharge or refund your ticket and make you rebook at a higher fare - perhaps, in retrospect, we should offer you the option. The third option is to carry you at a loss, but as a business answerable to its investors, that is out of the question - particularly as the airline industry is unfairly being shafted by the EU regulations concerning delays over which it has no control (eg Weather, Air Traffic Control etc)!
thats ok, but the sham is that it is added on as a surcharge, meaning those of us who want a "free" ticket, end up paying almost as much to use a bloody amex voucher, than to fly two cheap Y returns!!!!!!!!!

I have no bones with the surcharge, but airlines should factor it into the cost of a flight, if it means adding 7 instead of 6 to every flight to cover those of us who may travel on miles once in a while, then so be it, but that is the part of this carry on which shafts us, and it p1sses me off.

It has long been established that airlines treat the surcharges as a cash cow

P
Old Sep 6, 2005, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's so difficult about hedging your fuel costs for the next year. You know roughly your requirements, month by month, you buy forward contracts, you know what your future fuel costs will be. Am I missing something?

I hedge against my foreign currency expenses for 2006 in the same way. I am buying certainly. Why can BA not do the same?
Old Sep 6, 2005, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by simon_n10
What's so difficult about hedging your fuel costs for the next year. You know roughly your requirements, month by month, you buy forward contracts, you know what your future fuel costs will be. Am I missing something?

I hedge against my foreign currency expenses for 2006 in the same way. I am buying certainly. Why can BA not do the same?
They do - 81% hedged at $45 for this financial year (to March 06) and 40% covered at $50 for next year. Substantially below spot (crude not aviation) of $67 currently.

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...tats_Aug05.pdf
Old Sep 6, 2005, 3:48 pm

Substantially below spot (crude not aviation) of $67 currently.
........and tipped to carry on rising for a while yet!!!
Old Sep 6, 2005, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IIRC, whenever surcharges have been introduced or increased BA has NEVER EVER reduced them in a timely manner when fuel charges again decreased.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 5:46 pm

Anyone seen the oil price drop significantly over the last three years?
Old Sep 7, 2005, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
How often does BA reset its prices? Six monthly with the new timetable? In which case, there is no reason why a fuel surcharge should be in place for more than six months. I'm pretty sure Advertising Standards will also be looking into this very soon. Any surcharge now should, realistically, only reflect oil price rises in recent months, not over the last 3 years!
Old Sep 7, 2005, 1:55 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by simon_n10

Yeah, it's true - but I do not think that even the mose seasoned analysts foresaw the events that led to crude reaching $70 or so a barrel.

Will it go down - I wish that I knew as I could be a very rich woman - but if it should - then - shouldn't the fuel surcharge go back down? Let's watch!
Old Sep 7, 2005, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by bealine
Yesterday, the price of unleaded fuel hit £1.04 per gallon.

£1.04 per gallon? ($1.90) That is a great deal! Surely you mean per liter?
Old Sep 7, 2005, 3:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Deciding to add it as a surcharge rather than as a base cost is deliberate to decrease their liabilities on miles. Any fool knows that. That they're hedged for the most part makes it even more so. What would they do if the price went against their hedge, would they add a "hedge charge"? Come on...

I've had enough of all this nonsense of charges and surcharges - for me a flatbad in a tin with M&S reheated food and a third rate bubbly is not worth 2 grand. I might start keeping all the points for the hotel stays in their hotel accounts, get free comfy nights in a heavenly beds. These are free.

Miles collection on BA - even with the twofer - is becoming less and less an attractive proposition for anyone who does not do J lounghaul every month (or who does not have an addiction to the game).
Old Sep 7, 2005, 3:13 am

£1.04 per gallon? ($1.90) That is a great deal! Surely you mean per liter?
.......Sorry, I did indeed mean £1.04 per litre (liter the US way) - I wrote my post after a long, long shift!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.