Wiki Posts
Search

Please, no more Fish

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2005, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Tesco Blue
Please, no more Fish

Like a number or fellow BA FTers, I am not a lover of fish.

You can therefore imagine my delight at being presented with a cold prawn salad on my CE trip to Dublin this weekend. On the flight home, BA catering really surpassed themselves with another cold prawn salad, this time with the added bonus of an accompanying piece of cold salmon.

I know it's all down to personal tastes, but when there is no choice of meal, is cold shellfish really a good option? It must be quite a regular thing as the Purser commented she thought one of the directors must have shares in a prawn farm.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 3:50 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
You really need to check out this thread from a few years back. One of the funniest ever. Unfortuntley due to some very dangerous comments by a now banned poster Merry chose to delete most of his post so there are lots of blanks in the thread.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by ChickenOrBeef
Like a number or fellow BA FTers, I am not a lover of fish.

You can therefore imagine my delight at being presented with a cold prawn salad on my CE trip to Dublin this weekend. On the flight home, BA catering really surpassed themselves with another cold prawn salad, this time with the added bonus of an accompanying piece of cold salmon.

I know it's all down to personal tastes, but when there is no choice of meal, is cold shellfish really a good option? It must be quite a regular thing as the Purser commented she thought one of the directors must have shares in a prawn farm.
A subject that has troubled posters at the BA board before...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30997
Old Jul 11, 2005, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
I'm not a fish lover either and always groan when the salmon salad appears. Usually the vege option is just the same salad without the salmon.

Didn't you get an alternative option in CE?

I guess the nightmare meal for an FTer would be Salmon and Mushrooms!
Old Jul 11, 2005, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire), VS Silver, Skywards Blue, UA General, Qantas Bronze.
I completely agree...

I don't mind the chicken, although it usually quite firm. The crew are usually more than happy to run down the back and get a couple of the all day deli boxes or a hot panini for you to choose from, I have never even needed to ask them to do this in the past.

Whenever I have seen the fish option being offered I have always seen more than one person turn it down.

I even went so far as to try the smoked Salmon sandwiches on my most recent flight to Madrid, but alas nothing has changed, and my taste buds just don't like fish!
Old Jul 11, 2005, 4:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
I must admit - I am not a fan of the prawn salads either - not a big fan of king prawns in general really.....

However I am quite partial to the salmon with salad - in fact I was kindly given two salmon fillets recently as shown here

Consequently - I think we are all agreed prawns should be banned from the salads in Club Europe, even if they can be soaked with Balsamic vinegar..... BA lurkers take note...flyclub has spoken.....
Old Jul 11, 2005, 4:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
Got my agreement here as well.

If it's with a salad I normally end up picking the fish out and leaving to one side.

But I can also understand that it must be nigh on impossible for BA to cater for everyones eating habits ! Maybe they could add a section into dietry requirements in the booking process with a couple of tick boxes, meat, fish, spicy food etc so one could tick their preferences.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 4:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Just got back from GVA on Saturday. I remember discussing with my colleagues what the food was like in CE as on the 10.10 (just too late for the cooked breakfast) I got a piece of ham and a few bits of cheese which was hardly substantial. They gave glowing reports on the chicken and beef salad. I remarked that I hope I didn't get salmon as I always seem to get this on the way back to LHR and it was truly vile. The FA came round to do the drinks:
FA: Would you like a drink
srbrenna: A G&T please
FA: And would you like some wine with your meal
srbrenna: What is on the menu this evening?
FA: Salmon
srbrenna: Groan....
Old Jul 11, 2005, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M Silver
I don't know where you get statistics, but a lot of people who don't eat 'fish' are happy to eat shellfish. I'd be willing to bet that more people (as a %) eat prawns than eat, say, beef.

So the only option would be to have chicken ALL the time, and that is much too tedious, so I think, if you don't like what's offered on one occasion, then just have the veggie.

I do admit that it was bad scheduling to have fish in both directions though.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Tesco Blue
Originally Posted by edi-traveller
Didn't you get an alternative option in CE?
The alternatives were prawn salad or no prawn salad.

After being told that DUB is such a short flight and there was nothing else I could have, I enquired what was being served in economy. After a huff and a tut, the charisma-less crew member stomped back to Y and returned with an All Day Deli box containing a cheese sandwich and a strawberry trifle.

On a positive note, they have started serving Lily O'Brians choccies again ^
Old Jul 11, 2005, 4:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Londonflyer
So the only option would be to have chicken ALL the time, and that is much too tedious, so I think, if you don't like what's offered on one occasion, then just have the veggie.
True, in fact if I usually recognise the Purser on a flight, I usually receive two pieces or chicken, salmon, etc.

However once when they thought they were being helpful and giving two pieces of chicken breast, it was so dry I was convinced it could choke a camel . I needed at least another bottle of Piper to wash it down.....

(That is a very rare occurence - 99% of the time I find the food excellent)
Old Jul 11, 2005, 4:36 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Well, for the record, put me down as someone who loves fish. I have to admit, though, that being served nothing but salmon does get rather tedious (what happened to salmon being the 'luxury' fish?) But to my mind, there are few things finer than well-prepared trout or bass.

Having said that, there was a time when BA were serving some gorgeous pepper-crusted salmon on LON-BUD; I wonder what happened to that..?

As for prawns, well, unless they're big and served in a shell with loads of garlic butter, I don't want to know.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edi-traveller
I guess the nightmare meal for an FTer would be Salmon and Mushrooms!
Au contraire..... I am a lover of fish, and request a SFML on all my travels. The more fish the better AFAIAK.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 4:41 am

YUK!!!! I can't stand fish or seafood of any description!!! It grates even more when you're paying through the nose for a meal you can't stand!!! Why can't they have a "no seafood" option in MMB where you pick your meal?
Old Jul 11, 2005, 4:49 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Originally Posted by koksy
Why can't they have a "no seafood" option in MMB where you pick your meal?
There used to be such an option but it was "enhanced" a couple of years ago. Personally I love all different kinds of seafood but Sheena hates it. Even the smell of it makes her feel sick. The only time I have fish at home is if she is out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.