Wiki Posts
Search

BA versus Expertflyer

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2005, 9:28 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lopinc1
I was curious about this also so I tried out what you said. When I selected Amadeus as the method in KVS, it did not give an option for POS selection. Why is that? So does it default to the US POS or UK POS?
The POS for the Tool's Amadeus/AUA option is, presumably, Austria and it cannot be changed.

BTW, you appear to be using a very old version of the Tool and should upgrade.

I compared some BA flights between KVS and ExpertFlyer and the results look the same. Is there something we're missing? Seems that the GDS doesn't matter so much as the POS.
The issue becomes when the results do not match (as demonstrated here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...79#post4164391), in which case Amadeus data would be more accurate.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by KVS
The POS for the Tool's Amadeus/AUA option is, presumably, Austria and it cannot be changed.

BTW, you appear to be using a very old version of the Tool and should upgrade.

The issue becomes when the results do not match (as demonstrated here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...79#post4164391), in which case Amadeus data would be more accurate.
Using version 1.4.3 F, is there one after that?

So when looking up BA flights with the Amadeus method, a POS of Austria means you're seeing the UK BA inventory?
Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:27 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So when looking up BA flights with the Amadeus method, a POS of Austria means you're seeing the UK BA inventory?
Not unless Austria had recently decided to become a part of the UK .

Also, there is really no such thing as "UK BA inventory":
  • The POS country for the Amadeus: AUA/*A method of the Tool is Austria
  • The POS country for the Worldspan: ITN/CWT & Apollo: ITN/CWT methods is United States
Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by ropmot141
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I thought that nigel was unable to get availability from his normal call centre (UK?) but when he called the US they used some of their availability to confirm his booking. I.e. no POS=UK "D" bucket, so call BA-US and get them to confirm your flight out of their POS=US "D" bucket? What I can't believe is that it would be possible to get around the system like this and find availability to confirm into. Perhaps I've grasped the wrong end of the stick entirely?
I have had this with ex LIS bookings. BA Portugal did not have A class avaialbility for given dates. BA Portugal explained that they are given very limited availability on certain routes and in certain fare buckets. I got them to make the booking for alternative dates and then rang BA UK who had wide open A class availability for my original dates.

This does work and theoretically one could just keep ringing up around the world until one hits what one wants. It is not even continent specific as the BA Portugal experiences demonstrate.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by KVS
Not unless Austria had recently decided to become a part of the UK .

Also, there is really no such thing as "UK BA inventory":
  • The POS country for the Amadeus: AUA/*A method of the Tool is Austria
  • The POS country for the Worldspan: ITN/CWT & Apollo: ITN/CWT methods is United States
Haha, no I wouldn't imagine so. What I meant to say was, we know that if you phone BA US you can get a certain inventory, and if you phone BA UK you get a different set of inventory, so when using the Amadeus method of the KVS tool, which one am I seeing?

Or is the answer a 3rd set of BA availability that isn't either the UK or US set?

Last edited by lopinc1; Jun 21, 2005 at 1:13 pm
Old Jun 21, 2005, 1:19 pm

Haha, no I wouldn't imagine so. What I meant to say was, we know that if you phone BA US you can get a certain inventory, and if you phone BA UK you get a different set of inventory, so when using the Amadeus method of the KVS tool, which one am I seeing?

Or is the answer a 3rd set of BA availability that isn't either the UK or US set?

The answer to your question is in the quote which begins your question
Old Jun 21, 2005, 1:27 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What I meant to say was, we know that if you phone BA US you can get a certain inventory, and if you phone BA UK you get a different set of inventory, so when using the Amadeus method of the KVS tool, which one am I seeing?

Or is the answer a 3rd set of BA availability that isn't either the UK or US set? Either way, we would need to know so we know which country to call.
The short answer to your question is "3rd set". However, it's more complicated than that. POS consists of a number of components. While Country is, often, the most significant component, it is not the only one.

For example, BA could, in theory, set it up so that:
  • If an agent at a BA call centre located in UK requests availability for flight A, in class Y, return Y2
  • If an agent at a BA travel shop located in London requests availability for the same flight, return Y3
  • If an agent at a BA travel shop located in Oxford requests availability for the same flight, return Y4
  • If a BA LHR airport agent requests availability for the same flight, return Y5
  • If another airline's office, located in the UK requests availability for the same flight, return Y6
Old Jun 21, 2005, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by KVS
The short answer to your question is "3rd set". However, it's more complicated than that. POS consists of a number of components. While Country is, often, the most significant component, it is not the only one.
So, if I understand this, if Country is the most significant component this will play more of a role, along with who (TA/CTO) is asking for the inventory, then what GDS is used to do the res? Not all TA's are on the same GDS.

Talk about revenue management!
Old Jun 21, 2005, 3:18 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by inlanikai
So, if I understand this, if Country is the most significant component this will play more of a role, along with who (TA/CTO) is asking for the inventory, then what GDS is used to do the res? Not all TA's are on the same GDS.
GDS type is not a part of the POS; however, as I explained earlier, data across various GDS systems is not always updated in real-time.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 2:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by pauldb
www.americanairlines.co.uk/ will sell you the US inventory.
How do I book the US inventory online please? I went to the AA (uk) site and there are 3 choices to select on which country you reside in. If I do UK then am I sold the UK inventory and the price is a lot higher. If I choose US as my residence I get the lower Business Class fare but as I understand it, do I not have to then go to an AA office in the states or can I go to a UK with my Locator?

Thanks
Old Jun 24, 2005, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by pachamama
How do I book the US inventory online please? I went to the AA (uk) site and there are 3 choices to select on which country you reside in. If I do UK then am I sold the UK inventory and the price is a lot higher. If I choose US as my residence I get the lower Business Class fare but as I understand it, do I not have to then go to an AA office in the states or can I go to a UK with my Locator?

Thanks
I am not sure whether if you pick UK you are ssold the UK inventory in any event !

AA UK ticketing is done either of Spain, or sometimes Ireland. I wonder whether they are not using Euro availability

I think that if you probably have to pick the location that matches your CC addresss.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 11:16 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pachamama
When you select "Country of Residence:" at
http://www.aa.com/apps/reservations/...horEvent=false
you are selecting your POS (see the FAQ in the link below for an explanation of what it means).

If you select "U.S. & All Others" as your POS, you will get ex-US availability. Their booking engine does list UK as a valid selection for the billing address.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 11:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by KVS
When you select "Country of Residence:" at
http://www.aa.com/apps/reservations/...horEvent=false
you are selecting your POS (see the FAQ in the link below for an explanation of what it means).

If you select "U.S. & All Others" as your POS, you will get ex-US availability. Their booking engine does list UK as a valid selection for the billing address.
Yep - that's the baby - thank you very much for your info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.