Search

Free Silver - is it for real?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2005, 10:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Free Silver - is it for real?

Has anyone any experience of this yet, and how it works (in reality)?

I've had the letter telling me its back.

Done the points (just!)...

...but a month on, have received nothing from BA.

Can anyone tell me whether I have to request this from them, or just wait?
...and if I phone up to chase it, can I charge BA a £25 off-line service fee for doing so?
Old Jun 15, 2005, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First of all, congrats on doing 4500 tier points. I'm knackered having clocked up 3500 - I dread to think how you feel.

Having just checked it is clearly shown on the website. I would make the call and ask then what is going on - I assume you would have a nomination form to complete.

Last edited by Swanhunter; Jun 15, 2005 at 10:51 am
Old Jun 15, 2005, 10:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Others have reported receiving a pretty pack detailing it as a benefit and I am sure I have seen some marketing puff with it defined as a benefit.
We all enjoy a decent package
Thanks for the info. Any idea what else there is to get beyond this - otherwise I'm tempted to move over to VS/CO for the pond and US domestic.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 10:58 am

Programs: etihad guest silver/ba bronze
silver what?
Old Jun 15, 2005, 11:00 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Originally Posted by eiflyer
silver what?
Companion Card. Offered to those who accumulate over 4500 Tier Points in their membership year.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 11:18 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Originally Posted by DFB_london
Thanks for the info. Any idea what else there is to get beyond this - otherwise I'm tempted to move over to VS/CO for the pond and US domestic.
Access to the secret lounge.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DFB_london
We all enjoy a decent package
There are the rumours about revenue Prem - though I understand that needs something like 20,000 tier points p.a over a long period of time to get you in consideration.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
There are the rumours about revenue Prem - though I understand that needs something like 20,000 tier points p.a over a long period of time to get you in consideration.
That's more than 1 flight a week in Long Haul F every week, for a year !
Old Jun 15, 2005, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by latitude
That's more than 1 flight a week in Long Haul F every week, for a year !
I can't imagine that ...

I peaked at somewhere between 5000 and 5500 tier points one year, and that was enough.

Out of curiosity, I totaled up my base miles (before any class of service or tier point bonuses), and I had two consecutive years with more than 250,000 base miles each year credited to my BA account.

A fair bit of my travel back then was in Y or W, so maybe if I'd been in F all of the time, I would have hit 20000 tier points, although I suspect it'd have been closer to 15000.

And I didn't travel every week, although I made up for that with some crazy whirlwind tours. Figure that 250,000 miles in a year is around 4800 per week, assuming that you traveled every week, which I didn't, as I did manage to spend a few weeks at home. If I had travelled every single week, and done it in F, then maybe I would have had a shot at 20000 tier points.

I can't imagine keeping up that pace for long though. I'm happy to travel just enough these days to requalify for gold without having to go out of my way for tier points ... and maybe I'll see a gold upgrade for two again in my future this year.

But I digress ... back to the OP ... how it worked in the past (at least in the US) is that you had to call the Executive Club and ask them. They did send me a letter informing me about it ... nothing fancy, but I did have to call. As I recall, they directed me to a nomination form on a web site that I had to print out, fill out, sign, and fax back. There was one person who did all of the processing of this award (at least in the US office), she wasn't in the afternoon I called, so they had me fax it to her attention. All in all, it was relatively painless. I faxed in the form on a Friday, and the nominee's status was updated the early part of the following week.

Maybe times have changed, but my experience was that when you fly that much, the EC was more than happy to take your calls. Hopefully those days aren't completely gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.