Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VERY OT : Claustrophobia on Plane

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by fraisse10
Can I exhume this to ask: the Mrs and are have an 11 hour flight in F in a 747 coming up: she can suffer from claustrophobia: bearing that in mind, I have currently snagged 2A/F; am not Gold - should I shoot for 1A/F at -72 or (as I am inclined) stay with what I have?

Obviously, we are very fortunate to have the space that F affords and some may think I am asking whether I should have Sevruga or Beluga, but I am anxious that she is happy.

Advice very welcome, please.
I can't advise on the seats (see my username) but in all seriousness, if the claustrophobia is in any way severe a trip to the GP and a small prescription of diazepam (or similar) might be a good idea.

(I know some people don't like the idea of the chemical approach, but it really is a very good drug at reducing short-term anxiety, and I know that feeling "stuck" on a plane for 11 hours can cause a lot of anxiety if there is no sense of escape. Even if your wife doesn't actually use the diazepam, the fact it is available at all can be just the psychological crutch somebody needs to cope. And finally, there can be a risk that any claustrophobia/anxiety felt on the flight over could cause even greater problems for the return flight, so I'd be doubly-in favour of some diazepam in the handbag.)

And finally, if your wife does go with the diazepam, it would be a good idea to keep a copy of the prescription on you in case of questions at customs - it is a controlled drug in many juristictions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.