Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Visa for China

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2005, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Out of further interest, if a family is travelling, do they all have to waste their time queuing at the Embassy or can one member queue to leave and collect the passports ?
With most countries you can send a visa courier agency to do this for you (though they do charge Ł30+ per time for this). There are several such agencies in London. Whenever I get visas through work I never actually have to go to the embassy (except for the US).

I would be amazed if they insisted on seeing the family(or even you).
Old May 24, 2005, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by RJB
Just out of interest ... if you fly into HK then fly from HK to Shanghai a few days later, do you need a multiple entry visa or is a single one OK?
No Visa for HK, so I think in this case you'd just need a single entry to get into PVG the once. My Dad did this a couple of years ago - and actually arranged the visa locally when he got to HK. Apparently very quick, easy and cheaper to do it that way...

Both my trips to China have been LHR-PEK at the start and my company sorted the visa for some extortionate amount (Ł100 or so IIRC) via our TA for turnaround within a day or two. Since it was work, I needed an invite letter from the company I was visiting along with my passport + application form. Tourist visas don't need this of course. Since I wasn't paying I didn't really worry about the fee for this service, especially as it meant no queing at the embassy!

Phil
Old Oct 3, 2011, 3:21 pm

Hi. I need to apply for a Chinese visa. I could do this over the counter at the embassy in London or via a company on my behalf. Can anyone recommend a company? Ideally would like a 1-2 working day turnaround as need the passport for another trip! Thanks.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 4:27 pm

Programs: Falconflyer Gold
Manchester also has an embassy where you can it done in 2 hours. It is situated in a leafy suburb so parking is free in the side streets.

Check http://www.visaforchina.org/MAN_EN/ for further details.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Originally Posted by jameslon
Hi. I need to apply for a Chinese visa. I could do this over the counter at the embassy in London or via a company on my behalf. Can anyone recommend a company? Ideally would like a 1-2 working day turnaround as need the passport for another trip! Thanks.
Action visas are very good.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 12:48 am

Programs: BA - Blue
There is a very active China visa thread on the china forum -- albeit most of the experience is with regards to the US. I've not applied for a visa from the UK, but I did look into it (was running into some bother in US) and it appears they don't offer the single day turnaround feature anymore. The agency I've used in the US -- VisaHQ -- also operate in the UK, and I was very pleased with them.

tb
Old Oct 4, 2011, 12:49 am

Whenever I have used the London embassy the process has been painful to say the least. Long queues and not smiles from the staff. The last time was a couple of years ago, and I swore I would never do it again. After good service I recently moved the whole company onto Scotts visas.

http://www.scottsvisas.co.uk/

They have an odd process in that you dont pay until they have got the visa. Ask for Robert for Chinese visas. They can work as fast as the embassy allows. Be very careful filling in the form. If you get the date format wrong for example the embassy often reject it.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by yorweb
Manchester also has an embassy where you can it done in 2 hours. It is situated in a leafy suburb so parking is free in the side streets.

Check http://www.visaforchina.org/MAN_EN/ for further details.
ISTBC but I believe the same day turnaround has now ceased.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 1:29 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by vSFU
Good point. I'll be flying directly to Shanghai from LHR, then on to Thailand before returning to Shanghai to get my flgiht back to London. Will I need 2 visas?
How long are you in PVG each time. The practical advice is that you can get visa-free transit (and leave the airport) for 24hrs. Shanghai also has a special 48hr waiver, but sadly the UK is not on that list of ~30 countries.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 5:10 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
Two tips - in London the Chinese embassy have outsourced visa procurement to an agency on Holbourn who are remarkable efficient. You can just turn up and queue, although I booked an appointment on line. On arrival I was seen within two minutes of sitting down. A cursory glance at my hotel booking and return flights and my application was approved.

Then the passport gets sent to the Embassy by them. It's returned registered post and all within three days, and it was guaranteed.

Separately I have also travelled visa free through PVG en route to AKL. This may help for your return. On leaving the aeroplane (LX) I was met by a China Eastern girl who led me to the tranist counter, away from the main immigration hall. Here they took my onward boarding pass issued by LX and replaced it with one on NZ. Then I handed in my health questionaire and took an escaltor up to departures. One immigration official then gave me a red departure stamp and I emerged between regular boarder control and the security x-ray. From leaving the aeroplane to sitting in the lounge took under 10 minutes. Simples.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.