Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grrrr Moscow

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2005, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JuPe
AY agreed to code-share with SU after they promissed to use either Boeing or Airbus aircrafts on the HEL-SVO-HEL route. AY will also codeshare with FV (Pulkovo) on the HEL-LED-HEL route as soon as FV gets some Boeing aircrafts.
The AY/SU codeshare also happened after the Russian authorities forced AY to pull the afternoon flight (1225 from HEL and 1650 back from SVO IIRC). Something to do with tit-for-tat measures after the EU put restrictions on aged Soviet planes flying to the EU. Finland was the closest EU state to pick on in retaliation.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
I just returned from my first LHR-SVO on SU J class. A321 both ways, on-time, decent seats in a 2-2 config and reasonable food - plus no problems at SVO.

Considering the large difference in price and the J cattle class on the BA A320s, it's not a bad option. Also, for an extra $95 you can be met off the plane and whisked through immigration if you don't want to take a chance on queues at SVO. (One caveat - certain LHR flights are operated by IL96's, so need to try and avoid those - the J seats are dreadful and the F seats aren't much better).
Old Oct 24, 2005, 3:53 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by simon_n10
AY flight leaves HEL at 09.25. Perfect for flying in the night before at 23.00 (leaving LHR at 18.00) and staying at the Scandic, within the terminal building.
Just a word of warning: the Scandic in the terminal building is in the basement, has very few rooms (so is usually fully booked) and since there are no windows it feels like you were sleeping in a ship under sea level. I've read there is a new Hilton in the planning stage that would be connected to the terminal, but that will be some years away.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 6:26 am

Programs: BA
Just a note about the squashed conditions in C in the A320.

Now the A320 fuselage is actually 6" wider than the 737/757 we have used for years. I don't know how the convertible C seats compare (ie where the extra 6" has gone) but in the Y seats it goes in to 1" extra width per seat. Which is noticeable.

On the 767 the 7-across Y seating converts to 6-across, which is an even more marginal improvement than on the 737/757.

So why the complaints about the A320 when, all other things being equal, it shouldhave the most spacious seats in the Euro fleet.

On a related matter, what is the current state of catering in both C and Y on the DME/LED flights ? I know some special effort was put into restoring things on the Moscow flights ahead of other Euro routes. Just about to book to St Pete (in Y) and am curious. Am tempted to go with Pulkovo just for the experience (despite the problems in booking them from the UK), as they have started taking some secondhand 737s and it could be one of my last chances to get a ride in the Tu154. Some of you will think I'm mad.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Just a note about the squashed conditions in C in the A320.

Now the A320 fuselage is actually 6" wider than the 737/757 we have used for years. I don't know how the convertible C seats compare (ie where the extra 6" has gone) but in the Y seats it goes in to 1" extra width per seat. Which is noticeable.

On the 767 the 7-across Y seating converts to 6-across, which is an even more marginal improvement than on the 737/757.

So why the complaints about the A320 when, all other things being equal, it shouldhave the most spacious seats in the Euro fleet.

On a related matter, what is the current state of catering in both C and Y on the DME/LED flights ? I know some special effort was put into restoring things on the Moscow flights ahead of other Euro routes. Just about to book to St Pete (in Y) and am curious. Am tempted to go with Pulkovo just for the experience (despite the problems in booking them from the UK), as they have started taking some secondhand 737s and it could be one of my last chances to get a ride in the Tu154. Some of you will think I'm mad.
It's completely normal catering on DME flights as before the dispute. Meaning slow service with cheesy tablecloths, starters, wait ages to get main course etc.

The 320 is horrid for DME, not only the seat size, but space around and above the seat is terrible. Nowhere to store the average 2-3 pieces brought on by everyone. Nowhere to hang jackets. Takes ages to board. Terrible.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by tsastor
Just a word of warning: the Scandic in the terminal building is in the basement, has very few rooms (so is usually fully booked) and since there are no windows it feels like you were sleeping in a ship under sea level. I've read there is a new Hilton in the planning stage that would be connected to the terminal, but that will be some years away.
I can't find this listed on the Hilton site. Does anyone have a link to this Scandic? Reward stays as well?
Old Oct 24, 2005, 6:49 am

Programs: BA
.....slow service with cheesy tablecloths.....
Memo to new employees at Gate Gourmet.

Do NOT spread cheese over the tablecloths
Old Oct 24, 2005, 7:07 am

Programs: AY Plat, SK Silver, FB Gold
The Scandic is called Scandic Gateway Helsinki-Vantaa Airport: http://www.scandic-hotels.com/dispat...tyHomePageForm

The Hilton just got the new airport hotel deal a couple of months ago, so it might take time before it shows on their web page. Here's the press release: http://www.ilmailulaitos.fi/fcaarelease?id=33635
Old Oct 24, 2005, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I can't find this listed on the Hilton site. Does anyone have a link to this Scandic? Reward stays as well?

http://www.scandic-hotels.com/dispat...tyHomePageForm

I don't think you can find Scandic's from the Hilton website, even though it is part of Hilton.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Memo to new employees at Gate Gourmet.

Do NOT spread cheese over the tablecloths

Can someone explain the logic of throwing a rag over the tray tables,which (when 60 or so in club) slows the meal down by another half an hour. It's bad enough leaving DME at 2105, without having to wait until 2230 to get a tray of food put in front of you... on the cheesy tablecloth
Old Oct 24, 2005, 8:07 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Can someone explain the logic of throwing a rag over the tray tables,which (when 60 or so in club) slows the meal down by another half an hour. It's bad enough leaving DME at 2105, without having to wait until 2230 to get a tray of food put in front of you... on the cheesy tablecloth
It's all about presentation. You should count yourself lucky! I haven't seen them do that in Club Europe before.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyclub
It's all about presentation. You should count yourself lucky! I haven't seen them do that in Club Europe before.
It's hardly a linen or lace cloth... its a rag. Good for cleaning your shoes with though.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:06 am
norodnik

In case anyone is interested. In CE last Tuesday on the orrible 874 A320, we had a most errrr interesting meal.

Starters was a kippered terrine of Salmon. Which is basically Salmon Mouse (not tinned I hope) surrounded by Salmon (very creative)

After that was pasta with blue crab and cray fish tails. whoever thought that one up must have had one too many vodka's. I had the other "choice" which was beef chunks in a very watery gravy with a few veg. Not tasty at all.

Coming back in Y was MUCH better. My favourite Chicken and Spinach sort of curry!!!! The celery is crunchy in the salad but then.....the dessert!!!!, some sort of cross bred cheesecake with bread pudding.

What a bargain for £800

Still, with triple miles, I got 40 TP's and around 10K miles.

Old Oct 27, 2005, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Seems like airlines in MOW and LED may be running out of paper tickets - eticketing appears to have at least some advantages! The reasons behind the shortage seem all too typically Russian:

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/storie...10/27/001.html

Originally Posted by Moscow Times
Airline Tickets Held Up at Border

Travelers may soon be unable to book flights out of Russia because of a bureaucratic provision holding up blank airline tickets at the border.

Some airlines have enough tickets to last them only two weeks, as customs holds up new stocks under a regulation, that requires airlines to receive government certification before importing tickets.

The new regulation -- which is intended to help monitor the import of valuable documents with security features such as water marks -- includes airline tickets. Prime Minister Mikhail Fradkov signed off on the decree in July, and it went into force on Oct. 1.

"Airlines are running dry on tickets, and without them they cannot provide their service," said Marek Pedersen, Russia and CIS manager for SAS Scandinavian airlines.

Qatar Airways said it had enough tickets left to last two weeks, while Delta Air Lines reported having stocks for another two to three months. The regulation affects not only foreign carriers, but domestic airlines as well.

"We have a considerable amount of tickets stranded at customs and can last only a few weeks," said Aeroflot deputy general director Lev Koshlyakov.

Irina Skibinskaya, a spokeswoman for the Federal Customs Service, said she was unaware of the problem...
Go to the link above for the full story.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by House
Seems like airlines in MOW and LED may be running out of paper tickets - eticketing appears to have at least some advantages! The reasons behind the shortage seem all too typically Russian:

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/storie...10/27/001.html

Go to the link above for the full story.
Very typically Russian. I'm sure it won't cause any problems to some enterprising capitalist who's sold his mum to raise money to buy cigarettes to sell to schoolkids though.

On the topic of Russian business practice I had to laugh last week when I read about some banker who had been shot. He had been working in a market selling flowers, next step was starting a bank - with the inevitable Merc (resplendant darkened windows). You just don't get it the UK:

phillipas, on seeing an old school friend working on the market selling flowers: 'so have long have you been doing this then?'.
friend: 'Oh, just a few months. I'm quitting next month though - thought I'd start a bank'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.