Grrrr Moscow

Old Oct 19, 05, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by House
Will it earn tier points though?
No. You need Y,B,H on AY.

Book a J fare at 900 on AY and get LOADS of TP's...
Old Oct 19, 05, 10:43 am

Programs: BA
Finnair daily flight Helsinki to Moscow leaves too early for the first arrival at Helsinki from London. What appears to be a later departure from Helsinki is actually an Aeroflot flight on codeshare.

The Aeroflot Ilyushin fleet are fine. The whole Soviet/Russian-built widebody fleet (IL86/96) have never had an accident fatal to passengers. Ever. Which is more than can be said for most Western-built types.

For connecting options I generally find that CSA through Prague offer good service, low fares, and timings aimed at transit passengers on this route. each of us probably has our own preferences.
Old Oct 19, 05, 11:06 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
I thought I had read here that the reason the crews don't overnight isn't because of BA, but that the Russians won't give them the slots as this would compete with the SU daylight flights.

My only other thought on not overnighting the crews is the lack of decent priced good hotels.
Old Oct 19, 05, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA-blue :( sad times
Originally Posted by WHBM
The Aeroflot Ilyushin fleet are fine. The whole Soviet/Russian-built widebody fleet (IL86/96) have never had an accident fatal to passengers. Ever. Which is more than can be said for most Western-built types.
Yeah - It may not crash but.....

I nearly had an eye out on the head rest thing, that bit that hinges up to stop your head lolling about.
Well mine was flapping about - it would not support a mouses head, let alone mine. And it had lost its padding, all that was in it was a sheet of metal.

The seat reclined OK, it's just the fact that I didn't want it to that frustrated me.

It's a Poo plane and you know it
Old Oct 19, 05, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Finnair daily flight Helsinki to Moscow leaves too early for the first arrival at Helsinki from London. What appears to be a later departure from Helsinki is actually an Aeroflot flight on codeshare.
AY flight leaves HEL at 09.25. Perfect for flying in the night before at 23.00 (leaving LHR at 18.00) and staying at the Scandic, within the terminal building.

Alternatively the AY / SU codeshare leaves at 1830 IIRC, with a good connection off the AY/ BA codeshare from LHR at 12.30.

SO on HEL-SVO is very nice, on a new A-321, only a few rows of club and nice service. honestly.
Old Oct 19, 05, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stoney
Yeah - It may not crash but.....

I nearly had an eye out on the head rest thing, that bit that hinges up to stop your head lolling about.
Well mine was flapping about - it would not support a mouses head, let alone mine. And it had lost its padding, all that was in it was a sheet of metal.

The seat reclined OK, it's just the fact that I didn't want it to that frustrated me.

It's a Poo plane and you know it
The IL-86 is a flying ship. It's massive. A giant tin can. Very impressive on the outside. But inside it's totally crap. Watch out for the seats that keel over, the ripped carpet, the toilet doors that swing open and shut, the tray tables that are bits of jagged metal hanging off the seat in front. Scary
Old Oct 19, 05, 1:33 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simon_n10
The IL-86 is a flying ship. It's massive. A giant tin can. Very impressive on the outside. But inside it's totally crap. Watch out for the seats that keel over, the ripped carpet, the toilet doors that swing open and shut, the tray tables that are bits of jagged metal hanging off the seat in front.
Any aircraft can be poorly maintained -- what does it have to do with a specific model? IL-86s are not only massive, but they also feel very roomy inside (e.g. see http://www.airliners.net/open.file?i...next_id=NEXTID). As for " bits jagged metal", well, again, it's up to the airline to decide what kind of seats they want to have installed.

Speaking of seats, the A319/320/321 aircraft that Aeroflot uses on its Western Europe routes are actually custom-ordered from Airbus and are very new (the A319 I was on was just over a year old), and, quite unlike BA's surrogate C-class seats, do come with real C-cabins: http://Aeroflot.ru/eng/service.asp?ob_no=3060
Old Oct 19, 05, 1:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
The IL-86 is a flying ship. It's massive. A giant tin can. Very impressive on the outside. But inside it's totally crap. Watch out for the seats that keel over, the ripped carpet, the toilet doors that swing open and shut, the tray tables that are bits of jagged metal hanging off the seat in front. Scary
The wooden fittings inside the Il-86 are something of a throwback, as are the open stairwells down to the lower level closed off only be a cord. To exit via stairs, one descends the staircase and out through a lower-level door. The fact that the engines pivot significantly on the nacelles and the whole thing creaks during take-off somewhat bothers me, however. Note that the Ilyushin that sometimes appears on the LHR runs is the Il-96-300, which is a significantly better aircraft (notwithstanding the recent grounding, which according to some Russian press reports was because of failrue to adhere to proper maintenance schedules on the Il-96-300s not used in revenue service, i.e. Mr. Putin's bird, and not to any material defects in the aircraft itself).
Old Oct 20, 05, 1:18 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Alternatively the AY / SU codeshare leaves at 1830 IIRC, with a good connection off the AY/ BA codeshare from LHR at 12.30.
So even though it is SU metal, opertating as an AY flight you get BA points and miles

I would have thought it would need to be AY metal all the way?

Also, if on AY in J, can you still use the Terraces at T1 if you have no status instead of the ServisAir Chav Lounge?
Old Oct 20, 05, 2:37 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHR Tim
So even though it is SU metal, opertating as an AY flight you get BA points and miles
No, because the operating carrier (SU) is not a OW member. You might be able to credit an AY/SU flight to AY's own FFP, but you won't be able to credit it to any other OW FFP, such as BAEC.
Old Oct 20, 05, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHR Tim

I would have thought it would need to be AY metal all the way?

Also, if on AY in J, can you still use the Terraces at T1 if you have no status instead of the ServisAir Chav Lounge?
No TPs /miles on the AY/SU flight. But even if you choose the AY/SU codeshare for both SVO-HEL and return flights, you still get the same TP's for travelling HEL-LHR on AY/BA. So worse case is same TP's and half the cost for a fully flexible J ticket. And if you take the AY flight SVO-LHR, you will get more TP's.
Old Oct 20, 05, 5:06 am
norodnik

why not just fly from Switzerland on BA (all sectors)

You can get an I class ZRH-LHR-DME for 692, D is 794 and full C is 904

this way you are certain of the tier points and get more miles that going via HEL. You also get into DME.

I think, as with me, even if J class was 100 my stupid travel dept wouldn't book it because the policy says Y only. Depends on how "flexible" your manager/company is I suppose

Old Oct 20, 05, 7:23 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Well, despite my history of SU-promoting and BA-bashing on this board, I just booked on tomorrow's BA874 DME-LHR. I decided fighting the traffic out to SVO on a Friday night just wasn't worth the benefits of flying SU when on BA I can stay in the office an extra 60-90 minutes and catch the train.
Old Oct 20, 05, 7:49 am
norodnik

Originally Posted by chalf
Well, despite my history of SU-promoting and BA-bashing on this board, I just booked on tomorrow's BA874 DME-LHR. I decided fighting the traffic out to SVO on a Friday night just wasn't worth the benefits of flying SU when on BA I can stay in the office an extra 60-90 minutes and catch the train.
One hopes you mean 873/875.

I was on 875 tomorrow night but have decided to stay until Saturday just in case I get delayed at the conference. Now back on 527 on Saturday afternoon

Old Oct 20, 05, 8:20 am

Programs: AY Plat, SK Silver, FB Gold
SO on HEL-SVO is very nice, on a new A-321, only a few rows of club and nice service. honestly.
AY agreed to code-share with SU after they promissed to use either Boeing or Airbus aircrafts on the HEL-SVO-HEL route. AY will also codeshare with FV (Pulkovo) on the HEL-LED-HEL route as soon as FV gets some Boeing aircrafts.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: