Grrrr Moscow

Old Oct 17, 11, 5:19 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
Yes.

A discounted ET ticket requires a 3 night stay, otherwise it's full Y only (even over a Saturday night, without the 3 nights).

A dicounted R class CE ticket requires a Saturday night stay.
Thanks Smirny - you seem to be answering all my questions of late.

So looks like it's BD then, which is a pain as I will be in T5 before and need to be back in T5 on return
Old Oct 17, 11, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac View Post
Thanks Smirny - you seem to be answering all my questions of late.

So looks like it's BD then, which is a pain as I will be in T5 before and need to be back in T5 on return
How about AB or MA? Both have cheapie fares to DME (AB) or SVO (MA) and codeshare on BA operated flights from LHR-TXL/MUC (AB) or LHR-BUD (MA).

An AB ticket with decent connections LHR-TXL-DME-MUC-LHR is £280 (no TPs or miles yet, but at least you have the BA flights to/from T5)

An MA ticket LHR-BUD-LHR is around £320 and you earn miles.
Old Oct 17, 11, 5:50 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
How about AB or MA?
Smirny,

Nice ideas (especially as I have to be in Berlin straight after) but the flight times and one stop don't work... currently looking at BD895
Old Oct 17, 11, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac View Post
Smirny,

Nice ideas (especially as I have to be in Berlin straight after) but the flight times and one stop don't work... currently looking at BD895

Everyone who uses the BD flights has good things to say about them - in J and Y.

I see BD is still advertising its £148 specials to DME (return fare). No wonder they are losing money.
Old Nov 10, 11, 6:02 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
Ooh - I see Lufty are flying to VKO in the new year.

Hmm, wonder what traffic is like on the M3 these days? I still think we need a chopper pad on Dmitrovsky pereulok though.
Old Nov 11, 11, 1:16 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by VC10 Boy View Post

Hmm, wonder what traffic is like on the M3 these days? I still think we need a chopper pad on Dmitrovsky pereulok though.
M3 is generally fine once you have managed to get out of Moscow (i.e. beyond MKAD). Good thing is there are two roads going to VKO (M3 and Borovskoye).
The downside of it is that VKO is used by government; so delays are quite common as they stop all air traffic when another tax payers money waster goes his second home in London.
Old Nov 12, 11, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by VC10 Boy View Post

I live quite close to VKO so this is great news for me. What routes are they planning? Do you know where I can see more info about this?

On the traffic side it is not bad, but as another poster mentioned, the whole Kievsky Shosse can get shut-down when a high-level government official flies in/out, which happens too often. But for most people the train from kievsky vokzal is a good option.
Old Jan 21, 12, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by lewinr View Post
What routes are they planning?
Lufthansa: Berlin, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Düsseldorf.
Turkish Airlines: Istanbul, Antalya, Ankara.

Do you know where I can see more info about this?
Vnukovo press-release.
Lufthansa press-release.
News about Turkish Airlines.
Old Jan 21, 12, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
I hear BA875 was mysteriously cancelled on Thursday this week.
Old Jan 21, 12, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stifle View Post
I think it was tech problems. I was under the impression it took off and returned, but not sure.
Old Jan 21, 12, 8:00 am

Programs: BA GOLD, Tufty Club, Virgin Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, ICH Platinum Ambassador. MAS Gold
Originally Posted by stifle View Post
As reported on BA Source the outbound (BA874) turned back so BA875 was cancelled.

Boeing 767-336ER G-BZHA operating BA874 London Heathrow - Moscow Domedodovo was overhead Osnabruck at 35,000ft when it turned and returned to London Heathrow. The flight was cancelled as was the return BA875 Moscow Domedodovo - London Heathrow.

Regards,

G-BPED
Old Jan 22, 12, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
That's odd. Why would they do that? It would trigger €400 compensation for everyone.
Old Mar 4, 12, 12:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, PC Gold
BA872/3 today (4 March) and Tuesday 6 March will both be operated on 747-400 equipment.

G-BYGB is scheduled to operate the service today.
Old Mar 12, 12, 3:41 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
The state of the 763s on the Moscow route caused Jeremy Clarkson to comment in yesterday's Sunday Times. See here http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...icle989426.ece.

Originally Posted by Sunday Times 11 Mar 2012
I recently flew with BA to Russia, and to give you an idea of how old the plane was, I will tell you the on-board entertainment system used VHS tapes. And to make the quality even less impressive, my television screen was less than 2in across. And it was located on the bulkhead, several feet in front of my face. Also, it was broken. So was the lavatory seat.

I was going to write a letter to the chairman of BA, explaining that he’s got it all the wrong way round. Using your best aircraft to compete with America’s airlines — which are exclusively staffed by fat, bossy women and serve rubbish food — is like Chelsea fielding their best team to take on Doncaster Rovers.

I was going to point out to him — because plainly he doesn’t know — that the Berlin Wall has gone, and that the Russians are no longer queuing for six years to buy a beetroot and then being shot for saying it’s a bit warty.

I was also going to invite him to take a look around Gum, the department store in Red Square. There was a time when people would come from thousands of miles away because it had just taken delivery of some pencils. Now it makes the Westfield shopping centres in London look like an Ethiopian’s larder. The smallest watch on display is bigger than the TV screen I hadn’t been able to watch on my flight, and the underwear costs more than the ticket.
Old Mar 12, 12, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA GFL / GGL, Mucci Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
I think this will all be fixed soon with the route becoming longhaul... the 767 today on the BA874 in longhaul formation was OK - with AVOD and a pretty hard-working crew.. oh, plus the usual complaints from the CE pax who ended up in the WT+ section..

Interestingly there were comments onboard today saying that it might be difficult to introduce the 747s onto the route after all as BA kicked up a stink when Aeroflot tried to put a 747 on to the route some years ago... there are apparently rumblings in Moscow..

Search this Thread
Search Engine: