Grrrr Moscow

Old Apr 19, 05, 4:29 pm
norodnik

Yes, holiday season is upon us and the 28th/29th have only been avaiable to full fare Y for quite some time (I know because I have a MFU DME-JFK WT+ and therefore am going back to LHR on 27th from DME).

If anyone is going to DME this coming week, I am out on the 872 this Sunday (24th, seat 8K), and back on the 873 on Wed (27th), seat 3A. Happy to invite anyone into the 1st lounge with me. Will be at Term 1 about 7am (reply or PM me if interested)

Old Apr 20, 05, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA-blue :( sad times
Looks like it gonna be Aeroflop -
Old Apr 20, 05, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simon_n10
You can also waitlist for a BA flight. Usually lots of movement in waitlist as people hold seats on Friday flights ex DME, especially that weekend as its a long holiday weekend there.
Just to show the movement on the Moscow waitlist, my place got confirmed for the Friday evening flight out of DME on 29/5. Withing 24hrs of waitlisting. And it gave me seat 2C - probably the best pre-assignable seat on the airbus.

Trouble is, I may not actually need it, as I may leave Saturday on AY anyway. I could sell you my confirmed place If only I could......
Old Apr 20, 05, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, SQ PPS, VS Silver, PC IC Plat Amb, HH Diam, SW Gold, Tesco sad, FR 0.01s
Originally Posted by stoney
Looks like it gonna be Aeroflop -
please do post your comments/opinions AFTER the flight:-) it might be quite ok and you will even like it (to your own surprise
Old Apr 20, 05, 10:18 am
Original Poster

I will indeed post my post flight opinions.

IF I EVER MAKE IT BACK ALIVE!!!!

only joking
Old Apr 20, 05, 1:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
As mentioned previously, there was a thread on the BA board that discussed the experiences on SU of several regular posters on this forum. Most were generally positive, except for the SVO experience.

If you do fly SU, be sure to register for AeroflotBonus (http://www.aeroflotbonus.ru). One gets 100% credit on almost all economy fares, and 200% on J/C. Award levels are also quite reasonable, albeit somewhat limited if one is not originating in MOW (e.g., LON-LED/SVO, or else LHR-SVO-NRT or similar).
Old Apr 20, 05, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tried OK?

If not, you should. Granted, they fly to SVO and you won't be earning any BA miles. But the service is very nice and the full biz fare isn't more than 600.
Old Apr 30, 05, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stoney
I will indeed post my post flight opinions.

IF I EVER MAKE IT BACK ALIVE!!!!

only joking
The flight out was fine, the plane seemed new - leather seats even in Economy. Seats not huge - but comfortable. IFE consisted whatever you have in your bag because there is nothing else to do.

The Flight Back was in a Plane that seemed to be older than me, the carpets could have done with a little help from a carpet cleaner. But they would probably dissintegrate if you tried.
The Seats looked to have foam in them - but maybe I was wrong because it never felt like it. The Recline did not work, the little pocket on the chair in front was unstiched down the side so all the stuff fell out.

Those little flappy bits by your head to stop your head lolling about were indeed flappy, loose & would not support their own weight let alone my fat head!.

But - I did get 3 seats to myself and I was on my way out of that airport, which is not in my top 10 airports BTW.

It took off & landed so that is also a bonus & I did have an early morning flight on the return so that may have also affected my mood.

I wouldn't say I would never fly flot again, not sure I would choose to though.
Old May 1, 05, 8:57 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
FWIW I'm heading out next week, but we're giving LH a shot - mainly because I've got *G, but also because of the crap way BA's handling my collegues compensation claim for the five hour delay last time.

Strange, it comes out to 818 for a restricted C ticket (only restriction seems to be you have to fly LH). A flexible econ was 835 -- Guess which one I booked us on!

It will be interesting to see what SVO is like again. Last year I took SK and had hardly any wait at all coming in. Going out wasn't bad. Granted it's not the most beautiful airport, but I've been to worse (Houston springs to mind!). Hopefully too, they'll have caviar at the duty free-- DME only had redcaviar (grrrrrr!).
Old May 1, 05, 9:20 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by LHR Tim
Hopefully too, they'll have caviar at the duty free-- DME only had redcaviar (grrrrrr!).
Apologies for the OT, but is the caviar a lot cheaper at SVO/DME duty free than say at the duty free at LHR/FRA etc.
And do they carry all types of caviar (Beluga/Sevruga etc and from different countries of origin) or is it only the Russian stuff?

P.S.: Dave_C, don't even think about it.
Old May 1, 05, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Gold; SQ PPS; UA Gold; LH FTL; Flying Blue Silver; Starwood Gold; ICHG AMB; Hyatt Platinum;
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Apologies for the OT, but is the caviar a lot cheaper at SVO/DME duty free than say at the duty free at LHR/FRA etc.
And do they carry all types of caviar (Beluga/Sevruga etc and from different countries of origin) or is it only the Russian stuff?
I'm no expert on these things but the Caviar at SVO seemed pretty cheap to me! I have heard suggestions that buying away from the airport can work out cheaper though.

SVO's pretty decent for alcohol (around 5 for a litre bottle of a western brand vodka, for example) with a reasonably good selection.
Old May 1, 05, 9:33 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Thanks House.
Originally Posted by House
I have heard suggestions that buying away from the airport can work out cheaper though.
Reminds me of that episode from Frasier with the Russian caviar mafia.
Old May 1, 05, 10:48 am
dnw

but also because of the crap way BA's handling my collegues compensation claim for the five hour delay last time
What happened? always interesting to hear stories relating to the new EU laws.
Old May 1, 05, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

It will be interesting to see what SVO is like again. Last year I took SK and had hardly any wait at all coming in. Going out wasn't bad. Granted it's not the most beautiful airport, but I've been to worse (Houston springs to mind!). Hopefully too, they'll have caviar at the duty free-- DME only had redcaviar (grrrrrr!).
The shops are pretty good there - but plan a bit of time to check in & get through Passport control. It took me about 1-1.5 hours to get through on the SU 8:45 flight.

Booze, Fags and Caviar are all good value there.
I came back with a 5ltr bottle of Smirnof last time

I've certainly seen worse airports.
Old May 1, 05, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SVO remains a dump. If you can clear customs on the green channel, shouldn't take too long to check in. If there is a long queue for customs, or for passport contro afer check-in, just barge in at the front and mutter something about sorry (when in Rome....).

Buy caviar before the airport (MUCH cheaper). There a giant supermarket (Ramstore, formerly GlobalUSA) on the right just before you get the ring road, where I often stock up on goodies.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: