Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grrrr Moscow

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2005, 3:20 am

Programs: EY Platinum
'Damned' is certainly true for anyone who has the misfortune to go to the BA Lounge at DME. It's actually worse than the TAAG lounge at LAD, and that's saying something.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 5:55 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Originally Posted by csdf
It's actually worse than the TAAG lounge at LAD, and that's saying something.
Ah, my favourite lounge (after the DME business lounge).

At the TAAG Lounge:

Me: 'Can I please get a Gin and Tonic?"

Barman: 'No Gin. Campari.'

Me: 'Er, OK, forget the G&T. How about a coke?'

Barman: 'No Coke. Campari.'

Me...Gives up and reads my book by the a/c unit dripping buckets of water.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 6:37 am

Programs: EY Platinum
There was a barman?! Woah.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 7:28 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Well at least he knew what booze was. My request for a neat vodka at the DME lounge was greated with a blank stare. All this in the coutry where the waitrer brings the bottle of vodka to the table like a bottle of Chateau-neuf-du-pape.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA-blue :( sad times
Originally Posted by LHR Tim
Ah, my favourite lounge (after the DME business lounge).

At the TAAG Lounge:

Me: 'Can I please get a Gin and Tonic?"

Barman: 'No Gin. Campari.'

Me: 'Er, OK, forget the G&T. How about a coke?'

Barman: 'No Coke. Campari.'

Me...Gives up and reads my book by the a/c unit dripping buckets of water.

Try Cairo makes Moscow look positively luxurious.

The tradditional BA fancy Coffee machine is replaced by a Thermos Flask of hot water and a jar of Nescafe.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 8:27 am
SLF

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by stoney

The tradditional BA fancy Coffee machine is replaced by a Thermos Flask of hot water and a jar of Nescafe.
I quite like it actually. Nice big leather sofas, some TV if you want etc. Mind you (for some strange reason ) at that location at 8am in the morning all I actually want is black coffee - I guess I'm easily pleased by that lounge.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHR Tim
Well at least he knew what booze was. My request for a neat vodka at the DME lounge was greated with a blank stare. All this in the coutry where the waitrer brings the bottle of vodka to the table like a bottle of Chateau-neuf-du-pape.
You are fogetting, this is country where air travellers are expecting to buy litre bottles of duty free vodka, and open them on the plane, if not before, preferably consuming the whole contents before arrival at ones destination.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by stoney

Been there. Done that. Got the T-shirt Even more fun when CAI lounge is packed with AF folks to boot.

However, from recent expericence (and I am sure Shuttle-Bored will agree) the NAP lounge makes DME, LAD or CAI seem like The Wing!

Maybe we need a new thread: Worst lounge anywhere!
Old Nov 29, 2005, 1:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by simon_n10
You are fogetting, this is country where air travellers are expecting to buy litre bottles of duty free vodka, and open them on the plane, if not before, preferably consuming the whole contents before arrival at ones destination.
Ah, my S7 charter DBV-DME in August...the passengers in the back few rows of coach were so giddy they burst into song well before final approach.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 5:38 am
Original Member

Today's Moscow Times indicates cites BA as planning a 14-15% increase in traffic on routes to Russia (DME, LED, Ekaterinburg) in 2006, with total passengers reaching 320,000. It also cites total Russia sales of $75 million. This amount must be sales in Russia only, as $234 per passenger is significantly elss than any average fare I've seen on BA!
Old Dec 1, 2005, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chalf
Today's Moscow Times indicates cites BA as planning a 14-15% increase in traffic on routes to Russia (DME, LED, Ekaterinburg) in 2006, with total passengers reaching 320,000. It also cites total Russia sales of $75 million. This amount must be sales in Russia only, as $234 per passenger is significantly elss than any average fare I've seen on BA!
The increase in traffic (if that means seats) would presumably relate to the crappy Airbus being replaced by a 767 for the 2nd daily flight, starting 16th (?) Jan.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 9:07 am
Original Member

Somewhat OT, but UN is apparently upping the competition as well.

There is a press release on UN's WWW site (Russian only; English not yet posted) that states that their 737 fleet is being outfitted with new business class seats, that all passengers booking J/C fares are to receive complimentary taxi service to/from DME, and that certain routes (including London) will have a new menu in business class. http://www.transaero.ru/about/news.html?news_id=233 for the press release.

UN flies DME-LGW, with a mid-day eastbound and morning westbound. On-line booking (in English) is also possible departing both Moscow and London. Economy class passengers already receive free travel on the express train between DME and Paveletsky Vokzal.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Somewhat OT, but UN is apparently upping the competition as well.

There is a press release on UN's WWW site (Russian only; English not yet posted) that states that their 737 fleet is being outfitted with new business class seats, that all passengers booking J/C fares are to receive complimentary taxi service to/from DME, and that certain routes (including London) will have a new menu in business class. http://www.transaero.ru/about/news.html?news_id=233 for the press release.
That's really interesting. If only UN was in an alliance, I would happily travel and get some useful airmiles/status.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On-line booking (in English) is also possible departing both Moscow and London.
Interestingly the on-line booking actually works. It's a breeze and gives £841 tickets in J. That's very competitive.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
I flew UN from DME to Kiev in J. They had the old US domestic style F seats - very comfortable - and both the service and food was good. I was the only one in front of the curtain which helped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.