Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA asks $1 M from the USA for flight turned back over Atlantic

BA asks $1 M from the USA for flight turned back over Atlantic

Old Feb 27, 2005, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by lucab1982
Maybe I have missed something but do we know the reasons that the pilot gave for having to turn back to LHR?
IIRC, the direction was to divert to BGR. Given the point in the flight at which the direction came, and given the enormous practical difficulties which would be caused by a diversion to BGR compared to a return to LHR, the crew elected to return to LHR where the consequent pax inconvenience could have been sorted out much more easily.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 1:17 pm
dnw

Originally Posted by ijgordon
But keep in mind, that BA doesn't HAVE to fly to the U.S. It chooses to do so because it is profitable for them, and they presumably must abide by U.S. rules, regulations and orders.
The problem with that sort of complacent argument is that if the insanity of the last couple of years continues there WILL come a time when it is NOT profitable for BA and others to fly to the US. Not every destination of course but for many that are borderline profitable it could quite feasibly tip the balance the wrong way.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by dnw
The problem with that sort of complacent argument is that if the insanity of the last couple of years continues there WILL come a time when it is NOT profitable for BA and others to fly to the US. Not every destination of course but for many that are borderline profitable it could quite feasibly tip the balance the wrong way.
Indeed so. If they ordered the DTW to turn around or land somewhere like Gander because they had Leo Sayer on board (or any other 70s singer who's wrongly on a US "Intelligence" list), that would put a serious dent in the profitability of the route.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by lucab1982
Maybe I have missed something but do we know the reasons that the pilot gave for having to turn back to LHR?

Originally Posted by Globaliser
IIRC, the direction was to divert to BGR. Given the point in the flight at which the direction came, and given the enormous practical difficulties which would be caused by a diversion to BGR compared to a return to LHR, the crew elected to return to LHR where the consequent pax inconvenience could have been sorted out much more easily.

As I said in the original thread a few weeks ago, the weather at BGR that day was marginal and getting worse (heavy snow). The wx probably factored into the decision to return to LHR. Had the flight continued to BGR, while undoubtedly it would have been inconvenient for passengers, it would not have presented "enormous practical difficulties". Diverted flights arrive here all the time (whether for medical emergencies, air rage, or Cat Stevens), but they are usually on their way again after 1-2 hours ground time.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
As I said in the original thread a few weeks ago, the weather at BGR that day was marginal and getting worse (heavy snow). The wx probably factored into the decision to return to LHR. Had the flight continued to BGR, while undoubtedly it would have been inconvenient for passengers, it would not have presented "enormous practical difficulties". Diverted flights arrive here all the time (whether for medical emergencies, air rage, or Cat Stevens), but they are usually on their way again after 1-2 hours ground time.
Obviously still wearing his NCH, otherwise he would be deafened by the *whoosh* noise overhead.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.