Libya it is then

Old Feb 20, 05, 6:42 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Romsey, UK
Programs: BA, UA
Posts: 748
Libya it is then

Been away for a while - my new job is keeping me effin' busy. Sadly, minimal air travel now required. If only Southwest Trains had an equivalent to EC.....

Anyway, was fumbling around for hols to India in August - I know, I know, shockingly bad time to go, but such are the rigours of the new job!

Was intrigued to find out about F fares, so here's what I found:

LHR-DEL-LHR (out 06-08, ret 13-08)
5109.60

LIS-LHR-DEL-LHR-LIS
4979.45

ARN-LHR-DEL-LHR-ARN
SEK46,146.00

MXP-LHR-DEL-LHR-MXP
3630.20

And, the daddy of them all.....
TIP-LHR-DEL-LHR-TIP
LYD2357.85 (a whacking 1002.31!!!!!)

Time to start planning in seriousness!
Funster is offline  
Old Feb 21, 05, 2:24 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Posts: 4,271
Originally Posted by Funster
Time to start planning in seriousness!
Just bear in mind that spotwelder trailblazed the ex-TIP routing and has been MIA for months

(though Jenbel assures us all is well and he'll be back soon )
pauldb is offline  
Old Feb 21, 05, 2:56 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: On the X26 bus to and from LHR
Programs: BA Blue. 19300 Lifetime TPs
Posts: 2,302
How exactly do you check so many options? Expedia? I can't check these fares on BA.com without resetting cookies every time (can I)? Sorry to be such an information-age wimp, but it's my age!
fraisse10 is offline  
Old Feb 21, 05, 3:14 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Posts: 4,271
I like ITA (http://beta.itasoftware.com) as it's pretty fast. Select more options, untick "check seat availability (so you don't miss a fare because flights are full) and change the sale city to the departure city (to not fall foul of regional sales restrictions). You can add multiple cities but it isn't reliable - just do one search, then modify and so on.

Then use an open dated search (this will list fares not flight options) at travelocity to check fare details.
pauldb is offline  
Old Feb 21, 05, 3:48 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 1,536
Expedia doesn't seem to allow pricing tickets from TIP, 'Destination currently unavailable' is coming up.

However ITA works, F to AKL/SYD was around the $3000, amazing...
nonsoloinglese is offline  
Old Feb 21, 05, 6:06 am
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: back to my roots in Scotland!
Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Posts: 47,845
Originally Posted by pauldb
Just bear in mind that spotwelder trailblazed the ex-TIP routing and has been MIA for months

(though Jenbel assures us all is well and he'll be back soon )
I don't think that he ever managed to do it.. although he tried very hard. Anyway, he's currently (so far as I know, but he is a hard man to keep track of) in the Phillipines....

OTOH - you've only got my word for that
Jenbel is offline  
Old Feb 21, 05, 6:16 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Programs: BAEC Blue, Hilton Silver
Posts: 480
A single to TIP costs just 12500 airmiles + 38.50 tax.
yorweb is offline  
Old Feb 21, 05, 10:27 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: A3 Gold, BA Gold
Posts: 1,435
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Funster
Been away for a while - my new job is keeping me effin' busy. Sadly, minimal air travel now required. If only Southwest Trains had an equivalent to EC.....

Anyway, was fumbling around for hols to India in August - I know, I know, shockingly bad time to go, but such are the rigours of the new job!

Was intrigued to find out about F fares, so here's what I found:

LHR-DEL-LHR (out 06-08, ret 13-08)
5109.60

LIS-LHR-DEL-LHR-LIS
4979.45

ARN-LHR-DEL-LHR-ARN
SEK46,146.00

MXP-LHR-DEL-LHR-MXP
3630.20

And, the daddy of them all.....
TIP-LHR-DEL-LHR-TIP
LYD2357.85 (a whacking 1002.31!!!!!)

Time to start planning in seriousness!
Funster, what can I say except..................THANK YOU!!

Just booked myself TIP-LHR-SIN-SYD-AKL-SYD-SIN-LHR-TIP for Euro2423.93 (ABOUT GBP1719.00) All ticketed.

BA told me it's an IATA fare (theoretically you can combine it with other carriers) so it's 100% legit. It's booked in F & J as well, so no A or D class.

Just think of the bonus miles I'm gonna get!!!!!

Last edited by Brian_1; Feb 21, 05 at 10:30 am
Brian_1 is offline  
Old Feb 21, 05, 10:39 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SE1, London
Posts: 21,909
Brian_1 - not wishing to spoil the party but have you checked out he ease (or lack ) of getting a Libyan visa. It's not the most accessable country in the world.
Swanhunter is online now  
Old Feb 21, 05, 10:59 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: A3 Gold, BA Gold
Posts: 1,435
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Brian_1 - not wishing to spoil the party but have you checked out he ease (or lack ) of getting a Libyan visa. It's not the most accessable country in the world.

Visa is GBP22.00 from Thamesconsular. The fare is refundable if I don't get my visa. I've always wanted to visit Libya, so now I have an excuse.
Brian_1 is offline  
Old Feb 21, 05, 11:03 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: One & Only: L O N D O N
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 1,294
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Brian_1 - not wishing to spoil the party but have you checked out he ease (or lack ) of getting a Libyan visa. It's not the most accessable country in the world.

I was just about to say the same thing...

I've been working out how to get this visa for a while... the cheapest option adds 700 to the TIP fares... but I'm determined to find a cheaper way. At leats his TIP fare is refundable
firstclasslad is offline  
Old Feb 21, 05, 11:21 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Soon to be LEGT
Posts: 10,928
Opodo works fine

I've gotten Opodo to price absurdly cheap (750 quid or so) LH F fares to China for me from a place where LH doesn't even fly to!
graraps is offline  
Old Feb 21, 05, 11:26 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SE1, London
Posts: 21,909
Originally Posted by Brian_1
Visa is GBP22.00 from Thamesconsular. The fare is refundable if I don't get my visa. I've always wanted to visit Libya, so now I have an excuse.
I'd agree with the price for the visa - but these two bits are a bit more complicated:

*Business support letter

*Visa authorisation telex/invitation with reference number obtainable through client in Libya

Let us know how you get on with these as it could unlock a great low fares option.
Swanhunter is online now  
Old Feb 21, 05, 12:22 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: One & Only: L O N D O N
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 1,294
Originally Posted by Swanhunter

*Visa authorisation telex/invitation with reference number obtainable through client in Libya
That's the hard part!

Or just book a tour package into Libya for 615... Once you pass Libyian immigration.... either go and Check-in or check in at the end of the tour holiday!

Just a pain to add on 615 each time for TIP fares!!!!

Unless you combien two TIP fares in a tour package trip...
firstclasslad is offline  
Old Feb 21, 05, 12:25 pm
  #15  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Alicante. Spain
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 15,438
Originally Posted by Jenbel
I don't think that he ever managed to do it.. although he tried very hard. Anyway, he's currently (so far as I know, but he is a hard man to keep track of) in the Phillipines....

OTOH - you've only got my word for that
Now I know he was cross after his bike got nicked, but really that is an awfully long way to go and sulk.

Excuse me. I've more TIPs under my belt than the rest of you put together. It was BCALs mega money spinner and the only one where we had to ration the booze to 2 shots of spirit, one wine, and one after dinner. Otherwise they were paralytic the lot of them.
PUCCI GALORE is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: