Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Libya it is then

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2005, 1:56 am

Libya has fantastic Roman remains, some of the best in the world. Well worth a long weekend. That would (a) ease the visa issue (you'd be a bona fide tourist); and (b) defray some of the costs.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 1:59 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by The Saint
Libya has fantastic Roman remains, some of the best in the world. Well worth a long weekend. That would (a) ease the visa issue (you'd be a bona fide tourist); and (b) defray some of the costs.
Exactly

Last edited by Brian_1; Apr 1, 2005 at 3:46 am
Old Feb 24, 2005, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Agreed. I would be more than happy to add on 2-3 days in Libya before a long-haul. Some of the beath hotels look OK. We just need to find a travel agent who does weekend breaks in Libya ...
Old Feb 24, 2005, 3:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by RJB
Agreed. I would be more than happy to add on 2-3 days in Libya before a long-haul. Some of the beath hotels look OK. We just need to find a travel agent who does weekend breaks in Libya ...
Or get to to understand that there is now demand for weekend breaks in Libya
Old Feb 24, 2005, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Or get to to understand that there is now demand for weekend breaks in Libya
...where you only need a one-way flight
Old Feb 24, 2005, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
...where you only need a one-way flight
'Gaddafi is recruiting and I am just looking to acclimatise.....honest'
Old Feb 24, 2005, 5:00 am

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Weekend

So when exactly is the weekend in Libya? Are you going to make that a Saturday and Sunday which are probably working days? I want a two day tour that leaves on a Friday to get the lunchtime QF on Saturday down under.

Anyone got any more on the requirement to confirm tickets out of TIP with BA even when firm seats are held?

Are there any cheapie singles or tours on the carrier out of LGW that does TIP?

At this rate I will be heading for Djibouti from LGW on a single to get a cheap F RTW.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by spotwelder
So when exactly is the weekend in Libya? Are you going to make that a Saturday and Sunday which are probably working days? I want a two day tour that leaves on a Friday to get the lunchtime QF on Saturday down under.

Anyone got any more on the requirement to confirm tickets out of TIP with BA even when firm seats are held?

Are there any cheapie singles or tours on the carrier out of LGW that does TIP?

At this rate I will be heading for Djibouti from LGW on a single to get a cheap F RTW.
I'm planning to fly out on a Thursday and fly back on the Saturday.

Last edited by Brian_1; Apr 1, 2005 at 3:46 am
Old Feb 24, 2005, 5:37 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by NickB
That "thingy" is called nested ticketing and is usually OK on most (all?) airlines. Could not find anything in BA's conditions of carriage against it.
I've also come across the term, but maybe only on FT. Maybe systems can pick-up on obvious nesting:

For example, if you have two midweek business trips to JFK, instead of paying higher fares because of no Sat stay, you could book LON-JFK-LON for the 1st and 4th leg, and nest JFK-LON-JFK for the 2nd and 3rd.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brian_1
I'm planning to fly out on a Thursday and fly back on the Saturday.

What info do you need on the ticket? I already have mine ticketed.

Use your BAmiles for a one way to TIP. 12000 + taxes or 9000 part miles part cash (€35 for me) + taxes
Can you please clarify how you are getting the visa, Brian? We have already discovered (previous page) that BA will not let you board the plane at LHR if you do not have a Visa in your passport.

(OT: I found a tour company that does cheap four-night breaks in Libya. Then it turned out they fly you to Tunisia and drive across the border !)

Last edited by RJB; Feb 24, 2005 at 5:55 am
Old Feb 24, 2005, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHilton Gold, *wood Gold and BA Amex Prem Plus
Originally Posted by pauldb
I've also come across the term, but maybe only on FT. Maybe systems can pick-up on obvious nesting:

For example, if you have two midweek business trips to JFK, instead of paying higher fares because of no Sat stay, you could book LON-JFK-LON for the 1st and 4th leg, and nest JFK-LON-JFK for the 2nd and 3rd.
Even if a system does pick up a nest, surley there is nothing wrong with it. Provided you take both legs of a flight, it is irrelevant whether you have taken another flight between the out-bound and return legs.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by mattjam
Even if a system does pick up a nest, surley there is nothing wrong with it. Provided you take both legs of a flight, it is irrelevant whether you have taken another flight between the out-bound and return legs.
GEEZ will you guys please stop going on about nested tickets.......zzzzz

Old Feb 24, 2005, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by RJB
Can you please clarify how you are getting the visa, Brian? We have already discovered (previous page) that BA will not let you board the plane at LHR if you do not have a Visa in your passport.

(OT: I found a tour company that does cheap four-night breaks in Libya. Then it turned out they fly you to Tunisia and drive across the border !)
Well I have emailed a couple of tour companys in Tripoli and await a reply. I will give it a couple of days before I start pestering them with hourly phone calls. You just need to pop in a google search and it will come up with some.

Last edited by Brian_1; Apr 1, 2005 at 3:47 am
Old Feb 24, 2005, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aha! This is what you are looking for.

A 4 day / 3 night short break in Libya for £545 at a four star hotel. This EXCLUDES the cost of the flight to Tripoli, but we could always use miles. See: http://www.saharatravel.co.uk/libya_shortbreaks.htm

Departs EVERY Friday. The single supplement at £545 is a problem, though. Perhaps we need to go in pairs to make this work (AJLondon - no jokes please !).

Last edited by RJB; Feb 24, 2005 at 6:13 am
Old Feb 24, 2005, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
What info do you need on the ticket? I already have mine ticketed.
I'm flexible with my dates so I will grind them down for as long as it takes.
Am I missing something here???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.