Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Libya it is then

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2006, 3:01 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Originally Posted by bertheike
The agent who made the change is responsible for everything. Thatīs why I always do changes direkt with an airline. ( So itīs the airlines responsibility )
Which is why in my experience, BA especially, will refuse to even touch a TA issued ticket. Even when travel has commenced, they will tell you to go back to your TA.

Of course this make it a pain for those of us who work for evil employers and wish to pay the difference to upgrade.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by LHR Tim
Which is why in my experience, BA especially, will refuse to even touch a TA issued ticket. Even when travel has commenced, they will tell you to go back to your TA.
Not my (one, admittedly) experience - I had a LHR-SFO-LHR in full W a year and a half ago. In SFO, I decided to take advantage of this highly-priced flexibility for once and change the return leg JFK-LHR and spend the weekend with a friend in NY. Called up the EC, asked them, they said the same flight as her return had W availability, changed my booking accordingly and that was that. I was amazed it was so easy. This was a ticket booked by our corporate TA for me some weeks previous.

Phil
Old Mar 3, 2006, 3:32 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
I think they are tightening up on this. I've had zero luck calling BA direct. Even when trying to change due to weather they were very arsey about it and wouldn't revalidate over the phone and told me I would have to go to the ticket desk at the airport (which means no OLCI!)
Old Mar 4, 2006, 1:10 pm
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Some of my thoughts on the ex-Libya experience last week:-

LHR checks on Visa situation completed at both check-in and boarding locations

Trip to TIP is fairly painless – 3hrs there, and about 3.5 back to LHR

Arriving Visa process is unpredictable, and also totally non-communicating i.e. I was told, without warning or explanation to “Sit!” for no apparent reason.

I wouldn’t try to do the same-day return, as both inwards and outbound Visa checking can take a loooong time, and is not without its “bumps” !

Corinthia hotel is very nice – food OK, but nothing stellar. Rooms were better than I expected. Only dial-up Internet in the room, but Broadband in the business centre where you can connect your laptop. Centre is open until 12 midday and again 4-10pm. TV included a number of English-language movie channels, together with BBC World news and many other “foreign” language stations

Everyone drives like maniacs on the roads, and lanes are obviously just there to fool any tourists. My guy was at 160 km/h most of the time in his beat-up VW Golf !

The assistance of my local Travel Agent guide was essential, both on arrival, and particularly on departure, when a European national next to me (on his own) was told by the Visa gestapo “go back to your boss” to get more information … I never saw him in the departures area later on, so he may not have succeeded in getting through …

BA lounge was average at best. I was afraid to try any of the food (which looked “mature”), and stuck to the tea, biscuits and water .. There were 3 computers in the lounge, but none working – indeed the level of dust would suggest that they have been that way for some time

All-in-all an experience, but I am unsure if I’d go there again, even for the super F fares … Think I might try an ex-EU Business Class fare and try for upper deck on a 747 ..
Old Mar 5, 2006, 6:48 am

Programs: BAEC
Buying ticket from LN?

Is it possible to get Libyan Arab to issue one of the YY IATA fares: -
TIP LN X/LON BA SIN BA X/LON LN TIP
Has anybody tried this?
Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:53 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by clansey1973
Is it possible to get Libyan Arab to issue one of the YY IATA fares: -
TIP LN X/LON BA SIN BA X/LON LN TIP
Has anybody tried this?
Hope you wouldn't be intending to pay via AmEx
Old Mar 5, 2006, 1:02 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by JAP
Some of my thoughts on the ex-Libya experience last week:

Great post JAP; I wish half the comments / questions
posted on this thread were as constructive.

Originally Posted by JAP
Arriving Visa process is unpredictable, and also totally non-communicating i.e. I was told, without warning or explanation to “Sit!” for no apparent reason.
This only usually happens on your first visit.

Originally Posted by JAP
I wouldn’t try to do the same-day return, as both inwards and outbound Visa checking can take a loooong time, and is not without its “bumps” !
Good advice to the uninitiated. I get alot of PM re this.

Originally Posted by JAP
Corinthia hotel is very nice – food OK, but nothing stellar. Rooms were better than I expected. Only dial-up Internet in the room, but Broadband in the business centre where you can connect your laptop. Centre is open until 12 midday and again 4-10pm. TV included a number of English-language movie channels, together with BBC World news and many other “foreign” language stations
Even in the business centre the Internet is rubbish, this isn't what you come to Libya for. You forgot to mention the breakfast at the Corinthia, which is pleasant and worth making time for.

Originally Posted by JAP
Everyone drives like maniacs on the roads, and lanes are obviously just there to fool any tourists. My guy was at 160 km/h most of the time in his beat-up VW Golf !
Ah, Libyan driving. Yes, it's made my heart skip a few beats or ten. My favourite moment is the pinky finger on the steering wheel, or even letting go of it altogether.

Originally Posted by JAP
BA lounge was average at best. I was afraid to try any of the food (which looked “mature”), and stuck to the tea, biscuits and water .. There were 3 computers in the lounge, but none working – indeed the level of dust would suggest that they have been that way for some time
To be fair, it's a shared lounge. Where else in the world could you relax in world-of-leather-esque furniture overseen by the good Colonel?
Old Mar 7, 2006, 1:00 pm

Programs: QF; EK; LH
Libya

Visa restrictions ease - prices soar!
Old Mar 7, 2006, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mark345
Visa restrictions ease - prices soar!
I think the golden rule is Libya is that you can never really tell. Even my Libyan contact informs me that requirements change week by week.

When I first got a visa for the country they did not require me to supply them with my passport, then the day before I left, they rang and said they did. Apparently these sorts of changes happen almost weekly.

And finally, a same day turn around is not really possible. For reasons I won't go into now, it is likely to cause lots of hassle and even cause issues with the immigration officers - not something you really want to be doing in a country where they are not really overally tourist friendly (yet).

As I think I posted a few months ago, don't just go to Libya for the cheap fares - go there because the historical sites are fascinating and its a 'different' destination.

Cheap fares these days are available ex CAI for not much more and with far less restrictions so if you want cheap long haul destinations try there. It's only a few hundred pounds more, you will also get a nice 777 to fly on there and back and their immigration process is much simpler.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 8:06 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, SK Diamond, Finnair Gold, BA Silver
New Lonely Planet Libya book

There's now a free preview of the next Lonely Planet guidebook for Libya at
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/journeys...an_eclipse.pdf in connection with the March 29 solar eclipse.

Due out in April. I have BA F tickets TIP - HKG for holiday end-April and can't decide whether it is worth the hassle....

LP suggests the visa process can take about two weeks. Any other datapoints here?
Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by RoarAhead
LP suggests the visa process can take about two weeks. Any other datapoints here?
Thanks for posting the info. The problem with any guide book (LP included) is that for countries such as Libya where entrance procedures change from week to week is that the information is out-of-date before the ink has even dried.

There are two options if you want to enter the country as a tourist:

1. Go as part of a group (the Libyan Peoples' Bureau in London will only accept visa applications for four or more persons). Failing that, there are some enterprising individuals who hang around there and might be able to get you a visa as an individual (or couple), but you'll pay for the privilege.

or;

2. Book your ground arrangements (meet/greet on arrival, transportation, tours, hotel, etc.) through an authorised travel agent based in Tripoli. By authorised, I mean that they are permitted to apply for a visa on arrival on your behalf. Still not inexpensive (the visa fee itself should work out at around EUR 35 per pax), your costs will likely be escalated should you elect to stay at the only 5* joint in town: the Corinthia Bab Africa hotel. Among the recommendations peppering this thread are Magic Libya Plus (not to be confused with the similarly-named Magic Libya, which is a trade only concern), which I've used and can recommend (no affiliation, I should add) or Amoun Travel, which I haven't used but know others who've contributed to this thread have.

Seeing as this thread keeps on getting revived, can I add some advice for the unititiated (I keep getting PM on the subject, so I may as well put it in the public domain): Libya is not the sort of place which is suitable for an instant turnaround. It's much more practical to stay over for at least one night. Besides, Tripoli is a fantastic city, with much to offer the jaded (apart from booze). So another piece of advice: don't even think about bringing it in.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Seems Libya is getting a little tourist friendly in preparation for next weeks eclipse
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4842174.stm
Old Mar 26, 2006, 11:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Fraser
Seems Libya is getting a little tourist friendly in preparation for next weeks eclipse
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4842174.stm
Originally Posted by BBC
Individual tourist visas are normally hard to come by but authorities here have assured people that the process will not be bureaucratic for this special event.
For this event only!
Old Mar 27, 2006, 2:33 am

We are leaving this week - so thought I would pass on current visa information.

Cost is now 65 Euros per person and for groups of less than 4 people, a copy of your passport needs to be sent for the applicaiton, which takes around 10 working days.

The Travel Agent (I use Magic Libya Plus thanks to VT) takes care of all the formalities, so I wouldn't say there was much hassle involved at all.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 3:30 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
I'm also heading off (On Saturday). I used Amoun and found them to be great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.