Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex and BA [The Old Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:21 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by arpiuk
I would strongly advise not to, especially during these crunch times. When I activated Flexselect on my account, it triggered a FR (Financial Review). I would not wish that on anyone, it was an absolute nightmare, had to fax them over 100 pages of documents. As soon as I cancelled Flexselect, my account was back to normal, but it took 6 months of complaining until someone at AMEX realised where the problem was.
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
I activated last month due to the bribe finally going up to 5K MR. So far no problems...fingers crossed.
Interesting. I've just been offered the 5k MR bribe, and was going to bite, but not so sure now...I spend a lot of time in US as well as UK, and if this triggers a FR, it might raise tricky questions...

tb
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:48 pm

Programs: MUCCI Diamante- that's all that matters
I activated last month due to the bribe finally going up to 5K MR. So far no problems...fingers crossed.
Please, don't misunderstand me. I am not saying that everyone will trigger a FR review, but many people have had this happen. Reading the AMEX forum, it seems that Flexselect is placing the cardholder into a higher "risk" category, which then triggers the FR. Despite me being with AMEX for donkeys years and immaculate payment history, that doesn't count. But then everyone on the AMEX forum says the same thing, immaculate history, blah, blah. So the FR does not make sense at all. But if triggered, it's worse than the taxman paying you a visit. one thing: if you do trigger it, MOVE YOUR MR POINTS QUICKLY!!!
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by arpiuk
Despite me being with AMEX for donkeys years and immaculate payment history, that doesn't count. But then everyone on the AMEX forum says the same thing, immaculate history, blah, blah.
Yes, ditto...you have me worried now! How soon did the FR kick in - was it before they gave you FlexSelect or some time after? I really can't be arsed with all that, and don't even want/plan to use FS anyway.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 4:25 am

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
I really can't be arsed with all that, and don't even want/plan to use FS anyway.
Ditto- was only tempted because of the points, now that you can convert to BA. No intention of using the flex payment really...
Old Jan 2, 2009, 4:31 am
uk1
Suspended

Anyone else waiting for the normal/routine Amex to BA miles transfer for December?
Old Jan 2, 2009, 4:38 am

Programs: BA, QR, OW loyal.
Originally Posted by uk1
Anyone else waiting for the normal/routine Amex to BA miles transfer for December?
Mine arrived today, they usually turn up on the 1st or 2nd.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 5:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bmi Gold
Thanks Raffles!

Does anyone have tips as to where I should go to apply for my BA Amex - is there cashback (or extra miles) available by doing something clever?

Or should I just go through the BA website?

Thanks - as usual!

bmi G
Quidco will pay £35 (although never paid out for me on this one - but maybe that's because I had other Amex cc. cards)?

http://www.quidco.com/american-express/
Old Jan 2, 2009, 5:52 am

Programs: It's better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all
Originally Posted by uk1
Mine transfer on the first of each month and then post on the second. All fine and happy this month, nothing out of the ordinary.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 8:56 am

Yes, ditto...you have me worried now! How soon did the FR kick in - was it before they gave you FlexSelect or some time after? I really can't be arsed with all that, and don't even want/plan to use FS anyway.
G-BOAC, it took about a month or two after activating Flex, can't remember precisely. I didn't even know what the heck an FR was. They told me that my account was suspended, subject to me disclosing all my financial situation. In the US all you have to do is submit your tax returns, but in UK they don't trust those, as most people do it online and all one can supply is a printed pdf. So I had to fax them over 100 pages of stuff and they still were not happy. Luckily, I was dealing with a guy who was very sympathetic, as I was about to close my account. He assured me that they do not want to loose high spending customers, but it's impossible to over ride the computer. But he did advise me to move my MR points as a precaution. Which I did. In the end, it was all fine, but I did feel like a criminal. The do come down on you like a ton of bricks.

No need to worry, probably there are lots of people who have Flex and did not go through an FR. Just keep on spending like normal and all should be fine.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Thanks, arpiuk...just what I didn't want to hear But seriously, thanks - I will watch out for it and hope it doesn't happen. Like you I have the info to back everything up...I just have far better things to do than dick around with this sort of crap! I shall report back if anything bad happens!
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:39 am

Programs: BA, IB, DC, Amex PP, Motel 6, Waffle House, Cracker Barrel
Amex 2-4-1 - nesting : duration between outbound & inbound ?

I've had a look at the T&C - and could not see this.

Could anyone give me a duration.

Also - any ideas as to the consequences if the inbound journey can not be made ?

Presumably if there is death or divorce and the 'companion' is no longer a companion - then the tix become invalid as the 2 passengers can not travel together.

My understanding is that once the outbound travel is made - then the inbound can not be changed under any circs ?

Thanks
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:55 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jonobigblind
Mine transfer on the first of each month and then post on the second. All fine and happy this month, nothing out of the ordinary.

Thanks (to all) - my last was on the 21st November so I guess it's the dreaded call to them.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:30 am
uk1
Suspended

Actually .... just looked. And whilst my PDF statement shows a transfer of 1732 miles, my on-line statement has it as -1732. Puzzling.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:34 am

Thanks, arpiuk...just what I didn't want to hear But seriously, thanks - I will watch out for it and hope it doesn't happen. Like you I have the info to back everything up...I just have far better things to do than dick around with this sort of crap! I shall report back if anything bad happens!

Actually, G-BOAC, all you have to do is close down Flex Select and FR will not kick in. That's all.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by uk1
Actually .... just looked. And whilst my PDF statement shows a transfer of 1732 miles, my on-line statement has it as -1732.
If I'm thinking about the same thing as you've looked at, the online statement is a bit like a bank account. "-1732" is 1732 miles transferred out of the Amex "bank" to your BA account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.