Search

Amex and BA [The Old Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2005, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
If this offer really does keep going, then BMI is a good choice. You get 20,000 miles for signing up and can add 9,000 per month simply through this scheme.

A business class ticket to the US / South Africa / Caribbean is 37,500 miles plus Ł210 plus tax - you would get that in two months. You can also top up your account with Avis / Hilton / Radisson / Jury's / BAA Worldpoints / Amex MR activity. Or, indeed, fly *A.

Last edited by RJB; Feb 17, 2005 at 9:48 am Reason: Correct typo highlighted in post below!
Old Feb 17, 2005, 9:46 am

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver
Originally Posted by RJB
If this offer really does keep going, then BMI is a good choice. You get 20,000 miles for signing up and can add 4,500 per month simply through this scheme.
Or 9,000 if you do it twice a month...

Originally Posted by RJB
A business class ticket to the US / South Africa / Caribbean is 37,500 miles plus Ł210 plus tax - you would get that in four months. You can also top up your account with Avis / Hilton / Radisson / Jury's / BAA Worldpoints / Amex MR activity. Or, indeed, fly *A.
lol! I notice "fly *A" is last in the list! I've got a few flights with bmi booked purely because I felt guilty at having earned 160,000 miles, be at Silver status, and still never been anywhere near a *A plane!
Old Feb 17, 2005, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by hardydoug
I must say i'm worried that taking out more than the agreed limit of Ł250
Exactly - why repeatedly break the very clear terms and conditions and risk having your card taken away?
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:06 am

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Plat, PC Plat, TAP Gold
This Amex TCC miles frenzy has finally made me put together a spreadsheet to manage the comings and goings of all my miles.

Barely a day goes by when I don't have either a huge wedge of cash or a pile of ŁTCs on my person! It's actually quite stressful - I am in danger of my daily routines being dictated by the location of banks and cash machines
Old Feb 17, 2005, 11:59 am

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by bobnick
Exactly - why repeatedly break the very clear terms and conditions and risk having your card taken away?
Have to agree with this. It doesn't matter if you can withdraw more than Ł250 from the ATM, the point is you have agreed to the terms and conditions.I don't fancy the risk of having my card being withdrawn.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver / Bonyoy Platinum
Has anyone tried the "This card is for someone else" option?

Would that mean I could charge the card with my Dads Amex (that is wholly used by me anyway for when my 241 voucher is issued) and still retain official use of his TCC?

And many thanks for this thread! Makes up for missing the recent 4500 CC Life Insurance!

Rich
Old Feb 18, 2005, 2:05 am

Cheers to the OPs for this.

Has anyone else had the message:
"We are sorry that we are unable to accept your order. Thank you for visiting us online."

I tried on both the Thompson and Easyjet sites.

The only out of the ordinary thing about my application that I can think of was that I've not lived at my current address for 3 years so I had to supply my previous one.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 2:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MrBo

"We are sorry that we are unable to accept your order. Thank you for visiting us online."

The only out of the ordinary thing about my application that I can think of was that I've not lived at my current address for 3 years so I had to supply my previous one.
You know, I was about to post exactly the same thing. For "testing purposes" I ticked the box stating I've lived at my current address for 3 years and the application went through. Am going to wait and see what happens...

Thanks to all involved in the testing of this, it will really help ^
Old Feb 18, 2005, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by latitude
You know, I was about to post exactly the same thing. For "testing purposes" I ticked the box stating I've lived at my current address for 3 years and the application went through. Am going to wait and see what happens...

Thanks to all involved in the testing of this, it will really help ^
MrBo , as another update, I just got a mail saying my application has been accepted.

Solution to your issue
Old Feb 18, 2005, 6:26 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
it seems my card, with Ł3k on it, has been lost in the post. Amex sent it out last Friday - never arrived. they are cancelling it and sending a new one. A weeks valuable withdrawal/top up days lost!!
Old Feb 18, 2005, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I think 'lost' is not the word you are looking for ...

Mine came by City Sprint courier. My ambition is to live in an area where credit card companies are happy to send me cards by normal post.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Originally Posted by RJB

Mine came by City Sprint courier. My ambition is to live in an area where credit card companies are happy to send me cards by normal post.
except Amex told me they sent it by normal post and will be sending the replacement by normal post too.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 6:53 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by RJB

Mine came by normal post. I was quite surprised.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Feb 18, 2005, 7:09 am

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver
Originally Posted by MrBo

This message gets displayed on the Thompson and Easyjet sites when your purchase would either mean you loaded more than 3000 in 14 days, or your purchase would take you over the 3000 limit. If you try exactly the same transaction on the Amex site, this will give you a more verbose explaination than the other sites.

Check your dates and you should be fine.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

FYI, this topic has been pinched from here and - according to Google - is now being discussed on holidaytruths.co.uk with links to this thread. Sadly I can't get holidaytruths.co.uk to load!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.