Underwhelmed by first time in F

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2005, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Underwhelmed by first time in F

Ms RJB and I have just got back from Dubai. We went out a week ago on the midday flight (747) in F, with the return booked in J. This is the first time that either of us have gone in F on any airline - our usual haunt is the upper deck in J.

Both of us were underwhelmed by the experience. I am a cynical old thing, but Ms RJB (sweetness and light) was also less than over-impressed.

It's difficult to put a finger on why. I would say that the difference over upper-deck J is not substantial and perhaps, at the end of the day, there is only so much fun you can have in an aluminium tube.

There was nothing wrong with the trip, just nothing to ignite my excitement. However, perhaps it started badly when the queue at F check-in was 15 people deep with just four desks open - it was touch and go as to whether we should go to the Club desks (bigger queue, more agents) or use SSCI and Fast Bag Drop (shorter queue, two desks open).

The Concorde Room was OK (they did me a bacon butty to order) but not exceptional - no great selection of reading matter, for instance. No priority boarding for F or J at the plane. The FA by the door walked us to our seats when she saw we were in F, which was impressive. A cup of Arabic coffee offered immediately. After take-off there was a perfunctory greeting to everyone from the CSD (is it only me who finds it grating when the CSD walks round gives everyone the same speech, one at a time?).

The meal was good, but not as good as a good London restaurant. We were not actually asked when we wanted to eat, despite the 'whenever you want' statement on the menu - everyone was served immediately after take-off (tasty canapes, by the way).

The lack of Krug was noticeable, and an indication perhaps of how F has been devalued, but there was an excellent Chardonnary and the Willi Opitz dessert wine was good (as recommended on FT!). The list of films on the personal video player list was OK but not exceptional - I took Bad Santa, which was an odd choice for the January list! The seats (the middle block in row 4) were longer and wider than the J seat but not exceptionally so. The toilet with the window was very smart. When I asked for a cup of tea later in the flight it came in a silver teapot, which was a good touch.

My over-riding feeling, however, was that all of the extra touches could be added to J with little extra hassle. F, for example, had an excellent selection of up-to-date magazines. J, on the other hand, had week-old Spectator and Economists today when we flew back - there is no excuse for this. Upgrading the food and wine to F standards would not be hard. Adding personal video players should not be too time consuming for the crew - Virgin has been doing this for years, after all.

I'm glad we tried F once. Hopefully I will get to try one or two Star Alliance F products in the next few months so I can compare.

I am not saying that I will not do F again. Indeed, when my next Amex voucher comes along in October-ish I should have enough miles to not have to worry too much about the difference between J and F. If you have to scrape for every mile, however, I would say three 100k returns in J would be preferable to two 150k returns in F and a third paid trip in World Traveller!

The best way of summing it up is this, I think. If I had been offered an upgrade at check-in for my return journey last night from upper deck J to F for Ł250 per person, I would have turned it down.

Last edited by RJB; Jan 16, 2005 at 7:51 am
Old Jan 16, 2005, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
Your thoughts are interestingly similar to those of Mrs timol and myself after our ex-LIS in F to Rio early December. This was our first F trip with BA but our first F altogether was with CX. Upper deck J, indeed, was our primary point of reference, and it is quite a challenge to produce an experience clearly above NCW.

It is funny how FT creates expectations: Concorde Room, Willi Opitz, the new blue PJs etc. We felt that these expectations were fully met, but there was no genuine feeling of a first-time experience because FT made us so well aware of what to look for!

I, too, pay attention to the magazines: even in F when returning on a Saturday, the Economist was a week old (the aircraft had left LHR on Friday, and we receive the Economist in Switzerland always on Fridays). Not acceptable.

When choosing from the list of ex-LIS destinations, we definitely wanted a long enough flight to enjoy a good night's sleep but also to fully benefit from the service in the evening and in the morning. This strategy worked out quite well, with one notable exception: the crew change in GRU for the 35-minute GRU-GIG leg showed the expectations of the FAs. They did not really expect any requests from the remaining (just the two of us) pax. This is fair in Y or J, but in F a more positive attitude would have made a difference.

My conclusion of all this is that a successful flight in J is a result of all expectations being met, while a successful F experience results from unexpected positive events. In our case, there were two very special FA initiatives that made our day, but I prefer not to move them on FTers' standard expectations by publicizing them here.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 9:55 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
In November I had booked ex-LIS in FIRST to JNB. I had several days to pay for it. In the meantime, I dropped my mother off at AMS for a flight to JNB as well. After I watched her aircraft depart from the panorama terrace, I decided to inquire about fares to JNB in the lower classes. As expected, Club was horrendously expensive at the time of year, but I found, unexpectantly, a 600Euro fare in Traveler, with flexiblity (not that I needed it, but nice anyway). That is a steal in my experience for fares to JNB around the busy Christmas period.

I thought it might have been a mistake to have made that inquiry, because now I really questioned the wisdom of spending 2400Euro plus the cost of getting to Lisbon (although I would be seeing friends along the way, so I was looking forward to it), versus only 600Euro. I am still just a student, and the cost of flying F would be coming out of my budget, with my parents paying for the regular econony portion (almost 1200Euro). I thought the ex-LIS deals where great, and they were and are for most, but for me I think it may not have been.

I imagined all the fantastic things I could do with more than 1000Euro on the ground in Southern Africa. I elected to cancel my F booking (with a heavy heart), and fly in the back instead. As luck would have it, I was upgraded to Traveler Plus on the outbound, and just yesterday found myself sleeping horizontally in Club. It was, I must say, one of the the best Club experiences I have had to date... everything was absolutely perfect, and I could not have been happier (especially since I was flying for so cheap). Additionally, with my status I was able to use all the ground facilities at the various airports. I sleep so well in Club that I missed the breakfast service (thankfully, as my neighbor remarked that the omelette tasted worse than styrofoam), but I stuffed myself in the empy T1 Arrivals Lounge on poaches eggs, sausages, backed beans and those little croissants (I could feel my heart screaming). Had a shower, a treatment... would have gotten it all even if not upgraded.

Some of reasons I decided not to fly FIRST:
- T1 has no Concorde Room, and only has the First Lounge, which, while fantastic, is always crowded; I felt this would diminish the F experience,
- With status, I still had access to all the ground facilities. The airport experience is what stresses me out most about the flying experience, racking my nerves, causing me to complain, but with status many of those problems seem to disappear,
- My father also convinced me, as he is of the opinion that the cost of F (even with the deal ex-LIS) is not really worth it in his mind when coming from one's own budget; Club is more than adequate, the food in F is really not that great (compared to restaurants), and on a night flight you'll be sleeping most of the time anyway,
- It seems no matter what cabin I ever fly in on BA, I always have a pleasant to fantastic flight, and I am still a little like some people who consider flying something to get from A to B (although I like getting there in comfort ; considering that, I thought why pay for F and worry about the money,
- Despite the fantastic deals, and the fact that for most people on this board it truly is a fantastic deal, for my relatively small personal income, it still is not terribly justified to fly F; I should feel lucky I fly as much as I do in Club already;
- I was able to finance absolutely fantastic trips to Mozambique (Bazaruto Island and Ponto do Ouro) and Botswana (Kalahari and Okavango) with the more than 1000Euro, with plenty still left over for a glorious New Year's party;
- I've got a great tan!

With the upgrades, plus being able to use the ground facilities, I had a fantastic flight experience, and I think I would have anyway even if in Y. While I missed the F experience (and I sat in 12J on the inbound, as if fate was mocking me with occasional glances at the F pax in their new PJs ), I think in the end it was a good decision not to fly F and instead spend the money elsewhere.

Reading the above two posts seems to confirm that I might have had more regrets in F knowing what I know from all the people who do fly FIRST here. But I do hope to get into (paid) F one day... Until then, I'll be happy in Club and Traveler Plus (and Traveler when the fares are fantastic, such as to Hong Kong).

BTW... still went to Madrid and places along the way to visit friends, as I was planning to do if I bought the A fare.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:01 am

Programs: British Airways, Cathay Pacific
Real luxuries are in Economy Class

I just read this article on ft.com, interesting reading.....
Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Great post SchmeckFlyer ^

I am also of the thinking that Club World is very sufficient for my trips to SFO (and as of 24th Jan going to IAD again) and although F on ex-LHR basis is well out of my league (not that I'd pay it) ex-LIS is within reach. As a student myself there are a lot of things that my money could go on and I opt to stick to Club World. My friends at Uni think I am crazy enough already flying BA at all, let alone where I sit!

I am on the other hand more than happy to splash out the miles on F on full award tickets, a treat to myself and the girlfriend and as it happens it will be going to South Africa too! There is an interesting thread linked with TalkMail of the merits of using award tickets for F flights vs coach tickets.

Originally Posted by flyermanES
Very good article although perhaps he should fly Iberia in business class, then he'll certainly get his reading done! No danger of interruption there

One thing that the article does miss is the removal of many of the stressful aspects that flying up front avoid. The lack of lines, the ability to hop into a lounge away from the masses, the quick transit through the airport at the opposite end and the like

Incidentally the article does pick up on one of the reasons why my father only flew CX the once. I picked him up from T3 a few years back after a trip to Hong Kong and he was telling me on the way home that the FA's were so attentive that is drove him insane! He enjoys the space First / Business offers but not much more than that, all the rest is seen as a way of justifying the extra cost. Personally I don't carry many of his genes (and hopefully not the milkman's either) and I do like a bit of ego-massaging from time to time and I find flying further forward (or upward) does offer that.

Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
I imagined all the fantastic things I could do with more than 1000Euro on the ground in Southern Africa. I elected to cancel my F booking (with a heavy heart), and fly in the back instead..... I was able to finance absolutely fantastic trips to Mozambique (Bazaruto Island and Ponto do Ouro) and Botswana (Kalahari and Okavango) with the more than 1000Euro, with plenty still left over for a glorious New Year's party;
I think firstclasslad, with regard to the 'Got Ł5000 to spend what should I do?' thread should re-read the above @:-)

Last edited by fbgdavidson; Jan 16, 2005 at 10:25 am
Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last year saw me a fair bit of F flying - both on BA and also SQ, CX TG and LH. Each of those other airlines offered the 'something special' - be it super premium booze, caviar or just superlative service. In hindsight, probably half of my BA flights were just pedestrian and none of them had superb catering or booze (exluding the Willi Optiz and the Noble One). It's still a very nice way to travel and makes a good change from Club (which is what I normally fly on business) as that does get rather dull after a while. But would I actually countenance paying for it? No, I don't think I would. The big leap in comfort on the plane is from WT+ to Club.

BA could very easily make First special again. The 'hard' product is largely there (excepting AVOD) but the soft product needs work, just as it does in Club.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:35 am
dnw

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
BA could very easily make First special again. The 'hard' product is largely there (excepting AVOD) but the soft product needs work, just as it does in Club.
Spot on ^ . 'Death by a thousand cuts' seems to finally have gone into reverse but the little things that matter still need attention. Top of my list atm is "Dessert OR Cheese" in Club and the "well, I'll have to see if there is any left over" attitude if you ask for both
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold 20y (89-09)
your mileage may vary..

I think that most passengers flying regularly in paid "F" do not expect to be impressed by the food or the booze..they enjoy better at home or in a restaurant.

A quiet, calm cabin, extra space and a kind service are all that is needed, plus some extra help when things go wrong.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:27 pm

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Interesting article... except I find that on BA in Club the FAs are very good with keeping their distance and giving the passengers their space, and offering service/help when appropriate. I can get a good six hours sleep without interruption, and the FA elected to allow me almost an hour extra sleep rather than serve me breakfast (a fabulous decision on her part, and she even brought me some juice).

Even in economy BA attendants are attentive when required and quiet when called for. When they go through the cabin two or three times during the flight to offer juice or water to anyone awake... but they don't say anything and don't announce anything. Perfect really.

I might also have limited experience, as just about all my travel in Club is on night flights recently.

I loved the author's talk about relaxing on a flight, reading a book, as flying is indeed one of the few times of many uninterrupted hours to do such a thing (a reason I dread the day of mobile phones and internet on board). That personal time is something I think I would most appreciate in F (not the food, not the champagne that looses it's bubbles almost instantly), but all the space and coziness of the forward cabin. I think a great, although maybe unnecessary feature, would be what Emirates has done with their cabin ceiling of creating a star field, a mini sunset and so on... I would love that!!

Originally Posted by The Lone Arranger
A quiet, calm cabin, extra space and a kind service are all that is needed, plus some extra help when things go wrong.
^ ^ ^ Had I the money, I would be willing to pay F fares just for that (and maybe some nice meals in the lounges).

Last edited by SchmeckFlyer; Jan 16, 2005 at 12:31 pm
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Great BA F experience - and a cabin full of paying pax today

The F cabin exists only for as long as it makes more revenue for BA than fitting out the space with J seats would. I usually fly J but when I can afford F I pay the extra for the better service, better seats, better IFE, better food and wine, but above all the seclusion - which IMHO is much better than upstairs in J.

I flew what must be one of BA's shortest ex-LHR routes on Friday, to CAI, and the whole experience was excellent from: the T4 check-in; the Concorde Room which had several up-to-date magazines I noticed were not available downstairs in the F lounge; the meal on board was excellent (nice canapes, excellent wild mushroom soup, lamb shank and tarte tatin - and I enthused so much about the Willi Opitz the CSD gave me one 'for the hotel' before we landed; and my first choice video, a French number which definitely wasn't 'family viewing'. The staff were exemplary.

On the return flight this morning the CSD (same as on the Friday outbound) apologised for not having a spare seat in F but the cabin was full. I jokingly said I hoped staff weren't being prioritised, and he said 'no, believe it or not we've started to get F cabins full of paying punters'. Good news for the shareholders, the staff and those of us who like flying F - because hopefully more paying F pax means that the cabin is here to stay. The other great benefit of flying F is you rack up the miles quicker, and Mrs Azurflyer and I are looking forward to our Amex award flight in F to JNB later in the year.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
The big plus of F? Fewer bl**dy people! J, while undoubtedly an excellent product, is like sleeping in a dormitory. Especially if the "executives" are at play - all testosterone and mobiles. F provides peace and (relative) solitude which, these days, is about the scarcest thing money can buy. I'll agree that upstairs in J is a quantum leap up. But, in respone to that, the bed in F is the little plus. It';s bigger, flatter and has better bedclothes.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 4:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I recently took my first flight in BA First from JFK to LHR. Although I had heightened preconceptions my actual experience wasn't quite what I had expected. My thoughts before the flight focussed on the seat, wines and whats on the menu.

To kick off, the Concorde Room at JFK has to be the classiest airline lounge I've ever stepped foot in. At the time I was suffering a killer hangover after a wild night at the Hudson (way too many vodka martinis ), so the opportunity to sample the pre-flight dining passed me by although I did manage some caviar and an absolutely divine pumpkin bisque. It is the generosity of space that impressed me most. Spent most of my hour spread out on a leather upholstered Corb chaise longue sipping still water. Cannot imagine a more decadent setting to nurse a hangover. The Concorde Room is a full service lounge but to be quite honest, I prefer the help yourself arrangement found in the Terraces lounge. Just seems to me closer to chilling out at home.

Onboard, I did sense a substantial leap between First and Club. It is lovely to be able to share a table with your partner before retiring to your own seat for the night. Unfortunately I am unable to draw any comparison on the dinner offering - the attention to detail and level of personal service in First didn't go unnoticed.

Next long haul will be in WT+. Decided save miles for a future F redemption.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 5:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Very enjoyble article!

I agree with you SchmeckFlyer:
I flew LH economy LHR-FRA-HKG for Ł369 + 100% airmiles , was great (I had emergency exit seats!). The buzz for me is getting my money's worth... ie. Emergecy exit seats on LH 747 felt very secluded or MFU WT+ to CW (arrival/depart lounge being lovely bonus). Both are just as satisfying.

I only plan to fly F again with ex-Trip deal, and with my Amex 2-4-1 going one-way F one way J.

Even if I could afford F on all my flights... I'd rather find a great deal, whether it's Y,J or F.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 5:28 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Ok...this Yank needs to ask....what is a "bacon butty"???
Old Jan 16, 2005, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Ok...this Yank needs to ask....what is a "bacon butty"???
Bacon sandwich....Butty often infers an increased amount of fat perhaps greasier

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.