Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap flights due to earthquake

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2004, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Cheap flights due to earthquake

Hey folks. Does anyone know if there are any cheap deals going because of the earthquake? Even for the sake of earning miles (similar to post 9/11).

p.s: I hope this thread does not course offense to anyone. The earthquake was a terrible disaster, and one of my friends were in Phuket at the time, but was not injured at all.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by firstclasslad
Hey folks. Does anyone know if there are any cheap deals going because of the earthquake? Even for the sake of earning miles (similar to post 9/11).

p.s: I hope this thread does not course offense to anyone. The earthquake was a terrible disaster, and one of my friends were in Phuket at the time, but was not injured at all.
Who knows? I suspect there might be some short term bargains on certain routes but I don't think the impact of the Tsunami on the aviation industry will be anything like as widespread as 9/11. I wish the same could be said for the impact on people's lives.

I do understand your desire not give offence - but I strongly suspect someone will. There is a long thread already running in Only Randy Petersen about a similar topic raised in Mileage Run which has really upset some people
Old Dec 29, 2004, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Who knows? I suspect there might be some short term bargains on certain routes but I don't think the impact of the Tsunami on the aviation industry will be anything like as widespread as 9/11. I wish the same could be said for the impact on people's lives.

I do understand your desire not give offence - but I strongly suspect someone will. There is a long thread already running in Only Randy Petersen about a similar topic raised in Mileage Run which has really upset some people

My interest concerning this website is flight infomation and sharing it with others. I hope everyone understands this.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 8:20 am

My interest concerning this website is flight infomation and sharing it with others. I hope everyone understands this.

Well I for one understand that...and believe you.

Others may not see it that way...there seems to be a culture developing where anyone who does not demonstrate outpourings of public grief at a tragedy is considered somehow less caring than those who do.

A colleague of mine is in Thailand at present...I was pleased to get an e-mail telling me he is OK...that does not mean I have no feelings for those who have lost friends and loved ones.

The disaster which has affected Indonesia et al is exactly that...a disaster...public floggings for those who are perceived as failing to show a adequate amount of sadness may make the perpetrators feel better...or somehow morally superior...but does nothing to aid the dead, dying and injured.

It was interesting to hear on Radio 4 (UK talk station) that historically only a small proportion of monies promised after disasters is ever actually donated...I know not whether that was Government money or includes individual pledges...but it's a reflection on the society we live in today and I suspect reflects a desire to be seen to be 'doing something' in the immediate aftermath...but which...once the spotlight of publicity has shifted elsewhere becomes a less pressing issue.

Very sad...
Old Dec 29, 2004, 8:45 am

I'm sorry but I have to say I do find your post inappropriate given the known circumstances.

If you think back to the tragic events of 9/11 where a "piffling" 3,000 people lost their lives compared to the expected 100,000 I wonder how many people would have reacted to a similar post on say 10/11 if you had enquired about a cheap flight to JFK. By all means think what you do but please act with a little dignity and keeps your desire for a "cheap deal" to yourself . Perhaps you may wish to donate any savings you may make to the Red Cross or any of the groups providing support.

My own thoughts are with a colleague of mine and his 6 year old daughter who may yet be found alive. His wife, Suzanna, has been found and is in hospital with injuries. They were in a house together when the wave struck. Now what do you think their chances are?

The latest death toll is expected to be in excess of 100,000. I guess it puts things into perspective really.

Last edited by woodie; Dec 29, 2004 at 9:01 am
Old Dec 29, 2004, 8:58 am

Programs: Free at last!

The airlines have been acting very generously in repatriating stranded pax and waiving penalties.

But the airlines will see demand from the legions of do gooders going to assist and gawk, many of whom do not travel on cheap tickets.

Check back in 3 months' time for deals.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 9:44 am
NNH

Location: LA, after growing up in London and living all over Europe
Programs: Ex-BD, ex-NW, ex-AA, BA Gold
Originally Posted by JimmyTheJock
Well I for one understand that...and believe you.

Others may not see it that way...there seems to be a culture developing where anyone who does not demonstrate outpourings of public grief at a tragedy is considered somehow less caring than those who do.
It's the "Diana effect", I'm afraid.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I think it is probably worth letting the dust settle and waiting till bodies have been at least buried to be honest. I am sure a lot of people could benefit somewhat BUT profitering on the back of one of the worlds worst natural disasters at this time doesn't sit quite right with me to be honest. I think timing is something that you may need to consider before asking these sorts of questions.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by woodie
I'm sorry but I have to say I do find your post inappropriate given the known circumstances.
Personallly I disagree... it's not sarcastic or poking fun of the victims in any way. Were the tone of the message different I would agree with you woodie but it's not like he's said "hey folks I'm a surfer dude etc (the rest left to your imagination)" is it?
Old Dec 29, 2004, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
One must remember that BKK wasn't affected... so flights to/from BKK will stay the same. No one is avoiding going to Thailand because of this. Flights are operating as per normal to Phuket even. Some hotels are still taking in clients. It's whether one wants to go in the first place. Same with other important ports.
Actually forget speacial fares... you'd be lucky to even find an empty seat as rescue workers, and relatives searching for lost ones are all trying to fly there, and other people flying back.

As with most land disasters, it will not affect air travel much. Maybe after the reconstruction efforts, you may find a bargain or two at the devastated areas to try and lure people back to their once rustic islands. Airlines "may" come out with package deals... with air and hotel. But just airline deals? I doubt it.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:06 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Always one to jump in on a contentious theme but Guy Betsy, I disagree with you. While the impact of most land-based tragedies (other than 9/11) tends not to have much impact on seats sold, this one is different.

Thailand, Sri Lanka and India are all reliant on tourist dime.

In addition to those directly impacted by these tragic events, the aftermath will be mass cancellations of holiday bookings. I accept that BKK may not be overly impacted, given its position as a business destination in its own rights and a transit point for onward flights to Australia; taking the latter point there will almost surely be a drop in traffic from those who would otherwise have been heading on the the Thai, Sri Lankan and Indian resorts.

Bad news for the airlines, bad news for tour operators. But frankly my thoughts right now are with the poor sods who are trying to rebuild their lives in the aftermath. I suspect that tourism in the region will take a severe knock, at least for the next few months, which when so many of the places are overly-dependent on tourist income, is incredibly bad news.

I'm not quite sure what to make of firstclasslad's op, but as I've read many of his previous posts, I take his disclaimer at face value. And before you think I'm attempting to portray myself as whiter than white, I've stumbled into a few faux pas on here without necessarily intending to do so.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
I'm sorry to break up the party, guys, - and I'm as against the enforced "Diana"-isation of society as anyone - but IMO the OP is guilty of a disgusting breach of good taste at best and having the morals of a ghoul at worst. To think now about how this catastrophe has increased the chance of parking your pampered a**se in a cheap seat! For God's sake, man!

Donate NOW at www.dec.org.uk
Old Dec 29, 2004, 1:55 pm
NNH

Originally Posted by fraisse10
but IMO the OP is guilty of a disgusting breach of good taste at best and having the morals of a ghoul at worst. ]
Ignoring for a moment your attack on the OP's morals and taste, how can it possibly be a bad thing to send some additional business to these devastated economies? You can feel free to donate money directly, but if others choose to go and spend money in these communities in addition or instead, that is their own business and nobody else's.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
Pass the sickbag, please

Originally Posted by NNH
Ignoring for a moment your attack on the OP's morals and taste, how can it possibly be a bad thing to send some additional business to these devastated economies? You can feel free to donate money directly, but if others choose to go and spend money in these communities in addition or instead, that is their own business and nobody else's.

If you actually read the OPs post (have you?), I think you'll see precisely nothing, nil, nada, nul, zip about spending money in a devastated economy. Only the single, selfish thought that there might be some flights going cheap. He even spells it out; no need to leave the airport - he'd just go for a mileage run!!!!!!!!

Does the phrase "still warm" mean anything to you?

Last edited by fraisse10; Dec 29, 2004 at 2:36 pm
Old Dec 29, 2004, 3:01 pm
NNH

Originally Posted by fraisse10
If you actually read the OPs post (have you?), I think you'll see precisely nothing, nil, nada, nul, zip about spending money in a devastated economy. Only the single, selfish thought that there might be some flights going cheap. He even spells it out; no need to leave the airport - he'd just go for a mileage run!!!!!!!!

Does the phrase "still warm" mean anything to you?
Hence my words "Ignoring for a moment your attack on the OP's morals and taste, how can it possibly be a bad thing to send some additional business to these devastated economies?"
To amplify my point: whatever the motivation for a trip may be, if some money goes into the local economies, then it has to be a good thing for the reconstruction efforts. Even an immediate turnaround will put landing fees and perhaps some drinks money into the economy, and I think it's likely that anybody travelling some thousands of miles will at least stay for a night or two, spending more money as they do so.
I'm sorry that you are so upset by this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.