Purchase BA Miles before 31st Dec

Old Dec 15, 04, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Purchase BA Miles before 31st Dec

I'm about to purchase the full amount of miles I can (15,000), but wanted your advice on whether I should wait until nearer the 31st incase BA offer some kind of 'Last day to purchase Miles, so we'll double them'.....

What u think boys & girls????
Old Dec 15, 04, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
This is the first year, so we don't know. But if you don't need the miles this second, why risk it?
Old Dec 15, 04, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Slightly OT, but does any one consider that it is worth buying the BA miles, simply because you can.

What I mean is, I don't need 15k miles for anything specific, but they could be useful in the future and at 1.7p per mile, you can generally get more than that value out of them with judicious usage.

Anyone else thinking about buying them just because they're good value and you "might as well"?
Old Dec 15, 04, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhilH
Slightly OT, but does any one consider that it is worth buying the BA miles, simply because you can.

What I mean is, I don't need 15k miles for anything specific, but they could be useful in the future and at 1.7p per mile, you can generally get more than that value out of them with judicious usage.

Anyone else thinking about buying them just because they're good value and you "might as well"?
Me .... however I won't be doing an 'all miles' redemption again for at least another 12 months until my next Amex voucher is triggered, and with 200k BA Miles in the bank I may end up giving it a miss.

In general, buying miles to do an MFU is ALWAYS worthwhile. However, buying miles at 1.7p per mile to do an Amex voucher redemption does NOT always make sense compared to the MFU alternative.

i.e. if a Club MFU to JFK is 550 in a seat sale + tax + (net) 14,500 miles ( x 2 for a couple) and two Amex voucher freebies costs 100,000 miles, then the value per marginal mile using an Amex voucher is (1,100 / 71,000 miles =) just 1.55p per mile.

(Using plain English - using an Amex voucher saves you 1,100 compared with an MFU but costs an extra 71,000 miles, so you are only getting 1.55p of value for those additional miles. If you haven't got an Amex voucher then you'll need an extra 171,000 miles, taking the value down to a pathetic 0.6p per mile.)

Thus, on this route, buying the miles at 1.7p to get to 100k to do a full redemption is bad value. You should stick with an MFU.

You could argue that you should be comparing the normal price of a Club fare (say 3k) with the standard mileage (100k), but since an MFU will always be available if a fully free ticket is available (same bucket) then the way I have done it is the best comparator.

Last edited by RJB; Dec 18, 04 at 9:05 am
Old Dec 15, 04, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RJB
Me .... however I won't be doing an 'all miles' redemption again for at least another 12 months until my next Amex voucher is triggered, and with 200k BA Miles in the bank I may end up giving it a miss.

In general, buying miles to do an MFU is ALWAYS worthwhile. However, buying miles at 1.7p per mile to do an Amex voucher redemption does NOT always make sense compared to the MFU alternative.

i.e. if a Club MFU to JFK is 550 in a seat sale + tax + (net) 14,500 miles ( x 2 for a couple) and two Amex voucher freebies costs 100,000 miles, then the value per marginal mile using an Amex voucher is (1,100 / 71,000 miles =) just 1.48p per mile.

(Using plain English - using an Amex voucher saves you 1,100 compared with an MFU but costs an extra 71,000 miles, so you are only getting 1.55p of value for those additional miles. If you haven't got an Amex voucher then you'll need an extra 171,000 miles, taking the value down to a pathetic 0.6p per mile.)

Thus, on this route, buying the miles at 1.7p to get to 100k to do a full redemption is bad value. You should stick with an MFU.

You could argue that you should be comparing the normal price of a Club fare (say 3k) with the standard mileage (100k), but since an MFU will always be available if a fully free ticket is available (same bucket) then the way I have done it is the best comparator.

Thanks
Old Dec 17, 04, 10:19 am

Programs: BA Blue
Does our resident lurker have any info on this? Are BA likely to do a last minute "end-of-year" sale on their miles?
Old Dec 17, 04, 11:17 am

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
But if everyone is so willing to spend 255 on 15k in miles, why didn't they buy another 12 bottles of LP at the time?
Old Dec 17, 04, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tristan727
But if everyone is so willing to spend 255 on 15k in miles, why didn't they buy another 12 bottles of LP at the time?

Have you got any suggustions of a better way to earn 15,000 ba miles?
Old Dec 17, 04, 4:18 pm

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
Originally Posted by firstclasslad
Have you got any suggustions of a better way to earn 15,000 ba miles?
Not now sadly - but any BA FT'ers will be aware that you could, & probably did buy 6 bottles of LP champagne for 137 @Tesco last month which got over 8,000 miles and, in my experience anyways, the stocks were pretty good & could have got as much as you wanted.

Hence am interested if people like RJB ran out of said supply, or never did the offer, or only now realised that should have done more - as for the same price as buying BA miles direct, you could have had the champers as well on top for free?!
Old Dec 18, 04, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tristan727
Hence am interested if people like RJB ran out of said supply, or never did the offer, or only now realised that should have done more - as for the same price as buying BA miles direct, you could have had the champers as well on top for free?!
Fair point, indeed!

It all boils down to - 'can you ever have enough miles?'. Obviously there is a limit to how much champagne you are willing to buy, travellers cheques to purchase etc today in the hope of free flights tomorrow. But where do you stop?!

(For the record - I bought 2 bottles of champagne at Tesco as a token gesture!)

Last edited by RJB; Dec 20, 04 at 3:13 am Reason: These are my personal problems ....
Old Dec 18, 04, 3:22 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Having recently blown 125k my account balance is need of a rapid injection. Thought carefully about the value of purchasing miles and decided to go ahead and buy 8k which puts me in place for an MFU should anything tickle my fancy in the anticipated January Sale.
Old Dec 19, 04, 7:41 am

[QUOTE=tristan727]Not now sadly - but any BA FT'ers will be aware that you could, & probably did buy 6 bottles of LP champagne for 137 @Tesco last month which got over 8,000 miles and, in my experience anyways, the stocks were pretty good & could have got as much as you wanted.QUOTE]

If only...I managed to get my hands on ONE bottle...

Some swine seemed to get there before me every day I went...and my local store told me they hold NO STOCK..."only what is on the shelf sir"...
Old Dec 19, 04, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by JimmyTheJock
If only...I managed to get my hands on ONE bottle...

Some swine seemed to get there before me every day I went...and my local store told me they hold NO STOCK..."only what is on the shelf sir"...
Maybe it was me.....

Last edited by flyclub; Dec 19, 04 at 3:11 pm Reason: To make reference to the previous posting clearer...
Old Dec 22, 04, 3:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, SQ PPS, VS Silver, PC IC Plat Amb, HH Diam, SW Gold, Tesco sad, FR 0.01s
Just received my Dec Amex statement (I have BA Premium Plus Amex card):

"You can now purchase BA Miles to top up your existing balance and as a Premium Cardmember you will earn double BA Miles for every 1 you spend. One BA Miles costs 1.6p GBP, there is a fee of 15 per transaction. BA Miles can be purchased by using your card at ba.com"

I reckon this is Xmas present we were hoping for and there is no time to wait for more. Anyway, small one is better than nothing
Old Dec 22, 04, 5:13 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19300 Lifetime TPs
Originally Posted by mishkira
Just received my Dec Amex statement (I have BA Premium Plus Amex card):

"You can now purchase BA Miles to top up your existing balance and as a Premium Cardmember you will earn double BA Miles for every 1 you spend. One BA Miles costs 1.6p GBP, there is a fee of 15 per transaction. BA Miles can be purchased by using your card at ba.com"

I reckon this is Xmas present we were hoping for and there is no time to wait for more. Anyway, small one is better than nothing
So that's an extra 125 miles (you would earn 375 anyway for spending the 250 on the maximum miles)? Ceratianly a stocking present rather than the main attraction.

Search this Thread