Intra-Caribbean Awards

Old Dec 14, 04, 9:16 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The Great Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 582
Intra-Caribbean Awards

Has anyone redeemed 12,000 miles for the RT ticket on BA within the Caribbean, i.e. Nassau to Grand Cayman? If so, are there unique check-in procedures or the like, since most people are heading to London on those flights?
hilton-gold is offline  
Old Jan 14, 12, 8:50 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: CO
Posts: 803
Award availability

I am trying to find award seats on some of BA's intra Caribbean flights such as UVF-POS, BGI-GND, BGI-TAB, ANU-SKB but am coming up empty. I am looking to travel in Dec which I assume is peak season so wasn't surprised at finding no seats.

However, there does not seem to be anything through out the year in any class of service (searching using the BA tool). For the experts out there, is this normal and BA does not release these seats because they sell them or do I need to change my search methods.
acnev is offline  
Old Jan 14, 12, 9:20 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Quite close to NQY
Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Posts: 9,433
Originally Posted by acnev View Post
I am trying to find award seats on some of BA's intra Caribbean flights such as UVF-POS, BGI-GND, BGI-TAB, ANU-SKB but am coming up empty. I am looking to travel in Dec which I assume is peak season so wasn't surprised at finding no seats.

However, there does not seem to be anything through out the year in any class of service (searching using the BA tool). For the experts out there, is this normal and BA does not release these seats because they sell them or do I need to change my search methods.
I don't think that BA has rights to sell seats on these routes ????

cs
cornishsimon is offline  
Old Jan 14, 12, 10:10 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: CO
Posts: 803
Ah - thanks for the clarification.
acnev is offline  
Old Jan 14, 12, 10:21 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Argentina
Programs: BAEC/IB
Posts: 38,349
Originally Posted by cornishsimon View Post
I don't think that BA has rights to sell seats on these routes ????

cs
I'm sure I've read stories of tier point running going on in those parts.
HIDDY is offline  
Old Jan 14, 12, 11:40 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Quite close to NQY
Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Posts: 9,433
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Originally Posted by cornishsimon View Post
I don't think that BA has rights to sell seats on these routes ????

cs
I'm sure I've read stories of tier point running going on in those parts.
Really ?? On the BA 777 operating the tag ons from gatters ??

cs
cornishsimon is offline  
Old Jan 14, 12, 11:50 am
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Earth
Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Posts: 10,985
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
I'm sure I've read stories of tier point running going on in those parts.


Don't recall hearing it on these routes, and I think cs is right. I don't think BA can sell seats on those services.
sunrisegirl is offline  
Old Jan 14, 12, 12:25 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 22,064
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

There's an easy enough way to find out: see if ba.com will sell you a seat for cash on a particular route.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jan 14, 12, 12:27 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Argentina
Programs: BAEC/IB
Posts: 38,349
Originally Posted by cornishsimon View Post
Really ?? On the BA 777 operating the tag ons from gatters ??

cs
You can certainly buy a ticket from NAS-GCM or ANU-SKB.
HIDDY is offline  
Old Jan 14, 12, 12:30 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Quite close to NQY
Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Posts: 9,433
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl View Post
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
I'm sure I've read stories of tier point running going on in those parts.


Don't recall hearing it on these routes, and I think cs is right. I don't think BA can sell seats on those services.

Thankyou !!!!

I think it's down to traffic rights on the add on sectors

As for award seats, if any of these routes are operated by AA you might get lucky, can't think off the too of my head if AA do operate any inter island routes

cs
cornishsimon is offline  
Old Jan 14, 12, 1:15 pm
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: back to my roots in Scotland!
Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Posts: 47,845
So far as I was aware, they are all fifth freedom flights - i.e. tickets can be bought. FAQ says this as well. I looked at flying some when in the Caribbean previously, but they are not cost effective for TP running.

Hard to see why they wouldn't be available for awards, although booking e.g. ANU-TAB would reduce the ability to fly LGW-TAB - that said, when I've flown it, the ANU-TAB sector has always been quiet.
Jenbel is offline  
Old Jan 14, 12, 1:22 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Argentina
Programs: BAEC/IB
Posts: 38,349
Originally Posted by Jenbel View Post
but they are not cost effective for TP running.
.
I think they used to be...plus N American card holders used to use them for the 4 BA flights rule until the changes.
HIDDY is offline  
Old Jan 14, 12, 8:04 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Quite close to NQY
Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Posts: 9,433
Originally Posted by Jenbel View Post
So far as I was aware, they are all fifth freedom flights - i.e. tickets can be bought. FAQ says this as well. I looked at flying some when in the Caribbean previously, but they are not cost effective for TP running.

Hard to see why they wouldn't be available for awards, although booking e.g. ANU-TAB would reduce the ability to fly LGW-TAB - that said, when I've flown it, the ANU-TAB sector has always been quiet.
Well..........
you learn something new everyday !!

cs
cornishsimon is offline  
Old Jan 14, 12, 9:24 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: CO
Posts: 803
I checked back and BA is definitely selling seats on these sectors. However, no award seats available.
acnev is offline  
Old Jan 15, 12, 1:41 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: On the X26 bus to and from LHR
Programs: BA Blue. 19300 Lifetime TPs
Posts: 2,302
Seats are certainly sold for BGI-GND
fraisse10 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: