FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Primeline from Natwest 10K miles bonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/379960-primeline-natwest-10k-miles-bonus.html)

wobbly wings Dec 13, 2004 5:03 pm

Primeline from Natwest 10K miles bonus

Hello

Just browsing around I discovered BA partnered with Natwest offering a bank account (well 3 different ones actually) with 10K bouns bamiles after joining in and staying with them for three monht plus monthy bonuses of about 250miles:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...3/public/en_gb
http://213.130.52.186/ba2/milesdetails.htm

The pages are still live but it looks as though the bonus has ended unfortunately. Unless anyone knows of the opposite? I would not be surprised if the offer has been extended but the pages not been updated. Thanks.

Raffles Dec 14, 2004 2:36 am

There is quite a bit on this if you do a search. I think they have tightened up the rules recently - you used to be able to open the account, transfer £1,000 into it for 3 months and get the miles. Then, a few months later, they would write to you and offer you another 5,000 miles if you made it your main current account.

Last time I looked at this they insisted that you close your existing current account immediately to get the miles. This is a lot more hassle, although of course you could always move back to your current bank in 6 months if you found you really hated NatWest (which is likely).

If you have £100k sitting around, the NatWest International Advantage account is OK, although getting the miles is like pulling teeth. 25k for opening the account and 25k every anniversary. The interest rate is pants, but nothing stops you withdrawing most of the money for 11 months of the year and just topping it up closer to the anniversary.

pauldb Dec 14, 2004 3:05 am

I've just (pre Nov 30) opened an account for my wife (she has a secondary account I don't mind moving if I have to in the end). I was able to establish the minimum "transfer" requirements over the phone.

You have to complete an account transfer form, but can opt to receive a list of direct debit / standing orders to move them yourself (or not ;) ) rather than having it done automatically. You can leave the "close my old account" option unticked (so hopefully the 5000 extra miles offer to do this may come later). And you can put a line through the "please write to my employer and have my salary moved" section - just write on it that you will do this yourself (quite plausible in a small company).

All in all, the paperwork is pretty easy. I don't know if the offer is continuing, but I'll let you know if all works out for me for future reference.

DYKWIA Dec 14, 2004 3:16 am

Originally Posted by pauldb
I've just (pre Nov 30) opened an account for my wife (she has a secondary account I don't mind moving if I have to in the end). I was able to establish the minimum "transfer" requirements over the phone.

You have to complete an account transfer form, but can opt to receive a list of direct debit / standing orders to move them yourself (or not ;) ) rather than having it done automatically. You can leave the "close my old account" option unticked (so hopefully the 5000 extra miles offer to do this may come later). And you can put a line through the "please write to my employer and have my salary moved" section - just write on it that you will do this yourself (quite plausible in a small company).

All in all, the paperwork is pretty easy. I don't know if the offer is continuing, but I'll let you know if all works out for me for future reference.

I completed the transfer form, and opted to get the list of DD/SO sent to me so I could sort them out myself.

However, they just ignored this and transfered the DD/SO anyway. The first I knew was when I started get notifications from BT/Gas/Electric confirming my new bank details.

I was pretty mad at the time (last week), but it's actually gone quite smoothly.

Cheers,
Rick

ChickenOrBeef Dec 14, 2004 4:00 am

Did the minimum deposits for 3 months and got the bonus miles earlier in the year. Just recently, Natwest got in touch to say I now need to put a minimum of £18,000 pa through the account, and unless I made it my main account, they would close it. So it is now closed.

Be interesting to see what happens if I try and re-apply next year, but it wouldn't surprise me if they make the joining rules more of a barrier to miles chasers.

Shuttle-Bored Dec 14, 2004 4:56 am

Originally Posted by ChickenOrBeef
Just recently, Natwest got in touch to say I now need to put a minimum of £18,000 pa through the account, and unless I made it my main account, they would close it. So it is now closed.

Hmmm - thats a bit of a pain. I use my NatWest account for business expenses purposes (basically all travel expenses settle against Diners Club - company pays expenses claims to my Natwest Account, and I then settle Diners Club bill from there). So there is usually minimum of £200 a month flowing through (mobile bills etc), and anything up to £6000 (if I do longhaul). But I doubt I'll get to £18,000 per annum (unless my travel picks up significantly :) ). I guess I'll just have to wash some cash through there once in a while.... ;)

Haven't heard anything from them yet - wonder if they are just targetting people who are obviously not using the account to begin with?

ChickenOrBeef Dec 14, 2004 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
Haven't heard anything from them yet - wonder if they are just targetting people who are obviously not using the account to begin with?

Probably just targetting people like me who have had zero account activity for over 6 months. You'll either get away with it because you are regularly using the account, or be so far down the list of targets that there'll always be miles spongers like me to chase ahead of you.

wobbly wings Dec 14, 2004 7:15 am

Thanks to all of you.

Well I am not prepared to transfer my banking for 10K miles. But I'd consider it for a joint account or a travel account. Anyway I think I was too slow on this - the deadline is gone already. If they extend I'll review this

Bond Boy Dec 14, 2004 4:50 pm

I've recently applied - will post here if it has been extended

evilmarq Dec 15, 2004 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored

I started getting letters threatening to remove my overdraft facility unless I started paying my salary into the account, so it's now closed.

Frequentflyer99 Dec 15, 2004 1:02 am

Originally Posted by evilmarq
I started getting letters threatening to remove my overdraft facility unless I started paying my salary into the account, so it's now closed.

I have used my account very little, mainly as another account into which to pay my Travelex TCs to avoid endless money laundering questions from my main banker. Certainly no salary paid in.

Last week I received a letter telling me that I had been granted an O/D facility that I had never asked for. There's consistency for you !

wobbly wings Dec 15, 2004 5:37 am

All right all right. You tempted me. I've asked for an application pack! :)

Thanks to all of you.

Shuttle-Bored Dec 15, 2004 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Last week I received a letter telling me that I had been granted an O/D facility that I had never asked for. There's consistency for you !

That's what they did to me to! I specifically stated that no overdraft was required, but in September they decided to apply a £500 overdraft limit.

If they threaten to take it away - gosh, how will I cope????? ;)

mishkira Dec 16, 2004 8:51 am

In short: I applied in September (being very unhappy customer previous years, I switched from them long time ago but finally closed non-active NW account in July) especially to get into this 10k BA miles deal - I did want a revenge... :D )

Results:
- they lost my application form;
- after second application went through, I had to send supporting documents 3 times ! Twice documents were not processed (copied and stamped at local branch) correctly - NW branch people did not have a clue what they should do accordingly to clearly written instructions;
- after 3 months of above torture I received a brutally short letter saying I am not good enough to satisfy the "conditions of NW account"

Never ever again want to hear about NW :mad: :mad: :td: :td: