Ssci

Old Dec 10, 04, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Ssci

I did a SSCI recently and had never noticed before but the little BA card that appears on the screen was silver.

I am actually Gold with BA, is the card on the screen dependant on your status or is it silver for everyone?

I'm not really fussed , but it was just one of those niggly questions that you'd like to get an answer to
Old Dec 10, 04, 5:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
It shows as Silver for myself as well, although I'm actually Gold. However, my girlfriend's card is Blue yet when she is on a booking I have made we both show up as Silver - maybe it's an average of the two?

While on the subject, has anyone else noticed that the actual minature cards when looking at a future reservation are actually the old style cards?

P.S: Anyone else thought the thread was initially about SCSI (as in Small Computer Systems Interface?)
Old Dec 10, 04, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by flyclub
P.S: Anyone else thought the thread was initially about SCSI (as in Small Computer Systems Interface?)
Hand creeping up slowly and then down again..well I am paid to think computers...
Old Dec 10, 04, 9:39 am
Original Poster

I did type the title all in captials as it looked like scsi to me as well, but it seemed to auto-edit it..

Apologies for any confusion caused/or excitment for anyone into their scsi drives and devices

Last edited by latitude; Dec 10, 04 at 10:03 am
Old Dec 10, 04, 9:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by MrBo
Hand creeping up slowly and then down again..well I am paid to think computers...
However, does anyone still use SCSI on new build computers these days now that we live in a world of USB2 and ATA Serial drives?

Correct me if I'm wrong, however I thought it used to be the way to go if you wanted extra large Hard Disk drives, around 10 years ago or so. However, I suppose enhanced IDE was then developed to solve that problem...

P.S: Sorry to go totally off-topic......
Old Dec 10, 04, 10:02 am
Original Poster

However, does anyone still use SCSI on new build computers these days now that we live in a world of USB2 and ATA Serial drives?

Correct me if I'm wrong, however I thought it used to be the way to go if you wanted extra large Hard Disk drives, around 10 years ago or so. However, I suppose enhanced IDE was then developed to solve that problem...

From my knowledge SCSI is still a contender in the world of fast hard drives and still used for the RAID capabilities on servers.
Old Dec 10, 04, 10:06 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C

Still used for external DLT/DAT tape backup drives (themselves something that seem outdated but not yet replaced).
Old Dec 10, 04, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA Prem, LH Blue, Thai Gold ,KLM Ivory, Priority Club Plat, HiltonH Gold, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by pauldb
Still used for external DLT/DAT tape backup drives (themselves something that seem outdated but not yet replaced).
Hi everyone,

I'm sure it's posted somewhere but can't be a**** to look, I have a frustrating time trying to work out all these abbreviations so is it poossible to put osme of these things in full? What is ssci?
Old Dec 10, 04, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by StevieJ
Hi everyone,

I'm sure it's posted somewhere but can't be a**** to look, I have a frustrating time trying to work out all these abbreviations so is it poossible to put osme of these things in full? What is ssci?
Very little looking required - one of the 3 stickies at the top of the BAEC board is Dave_C's rather impressive Ultimate Guide to British Airways. Look there, (if need be, pressing "Ctrl" and "F" at the same time, and typing "SSCI" into the find box) and ye shall find (And just in case you can't be a**** to do that, clicking here will have the desired effect )
Old Dec 10, 04, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA Prem, LH Blue, Thai Gold ,KLM Ivory, Priority Club Plat, HiltonH Gold, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
Very little looking required - one of the 3 stickies at the top of the BAEC board is Dave_C's rather impressive Ultimate Guide to British Airways. Look there, (if need be, pressing "Ctrl" and "F" at the same time, and typing "SSCI" into the find box) and ye shall find (And just in case you can't be a**** to do that, clicking here will have the desired effect )
Thank you Shuttle I am very indebted to you. I shall search forthwith
Old Dec 10, 04, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
if need be, pressing "Ctrl" and "F" at the same time, and typing "SSCI" into the find box
I never knew that until tonight when I was taught by someone in the family......and I now learn it 30mins later! Been using IE for about 6yrs and never knew of its existence, would have saved some serious trauma and time searching threads for specific postings.....as one does

It shows as Silver for myself as well, although I'm actually Gold. However, my girlfriend's card is Blue yet when she is on a booking I have made we both show up as Silver - maybe it's an average of the two?

While on the subject, has anyone else noticed that the actual minature cards when looking at a future reservation are actually the old style cards?
It is Silver and the guy is flying to CPH in CE, seat 6A....am I thinking of the SSCI demo??? I retain utterly useless info at times.....even that isn't going to come up in the SU quiz on Sunday although if it does I am one point closer to 500 ....and obviously ladies will be falling at my feet for the rest of my Uni career as a result

Last edited by fbgdavidson; Dec 10, 04 at 5:08 pm
Old Dec 10, 04, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by fbgdavidson
I never knew that until tonight when I was taught by someone in the family......and I now learn it 30mins later! Been using IE for about 6yrs and never knew of its existence, would have saved some serious trauma and time searching threads for specific postings.....as one does
Oops - I thought that was one of the more well known shortcuts! BTW that one works in Word, Excel etc too Fraser - very handy for some of those essays....

In an OT (but, hey, this is the BAEC Board ) bit of community service, clicking here will give you a handy list of keyboard shortcuts (headed XP, but most of them are fairly generic across the MS product set)

Last edited by Shuttle-Bored; Dec 10, 04 at 5:16 pm Reason: FT seems to be playing up with linking....
Old Dec 10, 04, 6:21 pm
dnw

BTW that one works in Word, Excel etc too Fraser - very handy for some of those essays....
C'mon you know that today students use only one application for producing essays... Google!
Old Dec 11, 04, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by dnw
C'mon you know that today students use only one application for producing essays... Google!
Yeah but once you've downloaded someone else's essay from the web, the Find and Replace functions can be quite handy (or so I'm told. Such things didn't happen back between 1996-2000..... )
Old Dec 11, 04, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTG + Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Yeah but once you've downloaded someone else's essay from the web, the Find and Replace functions can be quite handy (or so I'm told. Such things didn't happen back between 1996-2000..... )
That is indeed a handy tip - maybe you want to pass it on to the Government too...

Phil
Who can say hand-on-heart that he never ripped off essays for his BSc. Econ. But perhaps should have when he came out with a Desmond after spending all of 4/5hours a week at uni because he had a full-time job and was more concerned with flying places on BA for work! Hey-ho, at least it's over

Search this Thread