Cheapest way to earn 60 Tier points?

Old Dec 4, 04, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze
Cheapest way to earn 60 Tier points?

I could really do with 60 Tier points to get to Silver - any suggestions for a cheap day trip to achieve this?

Thanks
Old Dec 4, 04, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Not so much 60pts but how does 160pts grab you?

Currently a few folks are heading down to Malaga or Seville via Barcelona on IB codeshares.

Booked through Expedia pick LHR-BCN-AGP-BCN-LHR or LHR-BCN-SVQ-BCN-LHR

More info.....Be aware I think the BCN-AGP flight used to do this in a day is shelved from mid December (if not earlier) until beginning of February
Old Dec 4, 04, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTG + Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by andhow
I could really do with 60 Tier points to get to Silver - any suggestions for a cheap day trip to achieve this?
Sounds like a good use for the new Fare Explorer features? Have a play with a few itineraries (don't know when your year expires and hence how far in advance you can book, but the further the better...). Try "Increasing the flexibility of this leg" on one sector (which should get you a Y/B/H fare and 20 points) and then upgrade the other sector to Club Europe to get 40 points.

Not sure of which destinations may be good - but I think LGW-DUB didn't have CE priced too highly last time I checked. I think LHR-CDG may come out OK if you can be flexible on dates/flights too.

I'm sure others will recommend the Iberia run (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=369157) but I'm not sure if the fare is still available.

Phil
Old Dec 4, 04, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTG + Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by fbgdavidson
Currently a few folks are heading down to Malaga or Seville via Barcelona on IB codeshares.
[Running OT...]

Posted at exactly 12:00 just like my reply...nice to see the passing of years (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377269) has not wearied you too much yet, fbgdavidson Or, perhaps more encouragingly, me either! (??) 21 was 3 long years ago - this has made me feel better Many happy returns BTW!

[/...back OT, sorry!]

Phil
Old Dec 4, 04, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by fbgdavidson
Not so much 60pts but how does 160pts grab you?

Booked through Expedia pick LHR-BCN-AGP-BCN-LHR or LHR-BCN-SVQ-BCN-LHR

More info.....Be aware I think the BCN-AGP flight used to do this in a day is shelved from mid December (if not earlier) until beginning of February
Thanks for info - and happy birthday for yesterday !

I've just booked the LHR-BCN-AGP-BCN-LHR route with Expedia for 17th January at a total cost of 235.50.

How do I go about ensuring that my BAEC number is credited for this, or, should I just hand it over at check-in?
Old Dec 4, 04, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by andhow
Thanks for info - and happy birthday for yesterday !

I've just booked the LHR-BCN-AGP-BCN-LHR route with Expedia for 17th January at a total cost of 235.50.

How do I go about ensuring that my BAEC number is credited for this, or, should I just hand it over at check-in?
Thanks again folks....although lets keep this on topic true BA board style!

When you booked you should have been given the option of adding your BA EC number to the booking. If not I think you can add it at check-in. You won't be able to OLCI because it is an IB codeshare so nothing to gain in that respect.

As for miles/tier points posting....the piles and moints for the internal IB legs will credit within a few days of the flights. The IB codeshare / BA metal flights will require filling out the form and faxing of boarding passes etc If you need the points fast don't bother filling out the missing miles claim form waiting a week and then fax the details off. Do it within a couple of days of the flights.
Old Dec 5, 04, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Another good day out which I did recently was a Club Europe day trip to Jersey from Gatwick. It's a short flight (about 35 mins) but fully catered and earns you 80 points. Unlike the Malaga MR you actually get a whole day there too. I hired a small car for the day for about 50 and had great fun burning around the crazy roads there. Jersey has a cute little Terraces lounge, too
Old Dec 5, 04, 5:18 am

Programs: BA (sigh) Blue (thanks strikers). Arsenal Gold
Originally Posted by BA97.com
Another good day out which I did recently was a Club Europe day trip to Jersey from Gatwick. It's a short flight (about 35 mins) but fully catered and earns you 80 points. Unlike the Malaga MR you actually get a whole day there too. I hired a small car for the day for about 50 and had great fun burning around the crazy roads there. Jersey has a cute little Terraces lounge, too

How much did that flight cost?
Old Dec 5, 04, 5:27 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Jersey. Excellent suggestion - five flights a day from LGW so ideal for a day trip. CE fares on BA.com from approx 245
Old Dec 5, 04, 5:42 am

Programs: FB-Plat, HHonors Gold
LHR - DUB in C for 145 pounds one way
Old Dec 5, 04, 5:46 am

Jersey also works for a daytrip from Amsterdam and would bring me 160 tier points. That is so cool (and 12000 bonus miles as well).
Old Dec 6, 04, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Don't forget that the GB Airways 199 Club Europe specials are still available to numerous places in Spain and Portugal until the end of Jan. 80 tier points, good catering and a nice weekend away somewhere warm!

By the way - if you are going the Iberia run to get status, make sure you already have your 4 BA segments in the bag for the year. Or you will find that you remain a Blue despite getting over 600 tier points .....

Really, the OP would have been better doing a GB Airways day trip or weekend somewhere.
Old Dec 6, 04, 3:21 am

And keep tickets and boarding passes. IB is NOT good in registering your flights. My first flight was less than a week ago and phoning the BAEC-helpdesk for a different reason they told me that it was smart to send in the stuff. So I did.

Search this Thread