FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   AA Domestic First vs. BA Club Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/377246-aa-domestic-first-vs-ba-club-europe.html)

krug Dec 4, 2004 11:35 am

AA Domestic First vs. BA Club Europe

Originally Posted by number_6
You forgot to mention that the BA J seat for CE has less leg room than MRTC, and is less comfortable than domestic AA F seats. Also LHR-DME is about an hour longer flight than BOS-MIA (400 miles longer) and has better catering than most BA flights within Europe. Until 6 months ago BA did serve a hot meal on all flights, even very short ones, but that has stopped and it is a cold sandwich and a kitkat bar on many flights now. I've found IB regional jets have better food than BA. Now that makes a more interesting comparison: regional jet by IB and by AA (IB has MRTC in their regional jets and serves food better than AA F; somehow I don't think Eagle will be matching that business model). Rather interestingly IB mainline is far worse than IB Regional!

Which would you rather fly on for short haul in J?

Dave_C Dec 4, 2004 11:41 am

This has been done to death so many times. It's a little like the Airbus vs. Boeing argument, or the PC vs Mac.

They are different products as they operate in different parts of the world, where the competition offers a broadly similar products. AA wouldn't move to convertible seating as no-one else in the US does, and v.v. for BA.

Swanhunter Dec 4, 2004 11:43 am

Hmm, tough call. For the AA comparison I am talking about 'normal' domestic F, not transcon or AFS. For BA I am talking mainline - not our friends at GB.

AA wins hands down on seating (obviously) - while their MD-80's are in no way luxurious they still offer far, far better seating than CE.

BA wins on food - just about. BA's breakfast is better, but I really don't care for the CE salad and find some of the other offerings indifferent. AA's food is pretty rubbish on the whole and I still don't get the whole sundaes fun. BA's booze offering is MILES ahead - the crud that passes for red wine on American makes the Dourthe No1 taste like nectar.

BA also win on general service - both consistency and quality. While there are some great crews on AA, there is also a lot of mediocrity and more hostility than you would want.

Of course, if you look at pricing it makes interesting. Domestic F is - generally - priced a long way above fullY, whereas the gap between J and Y on BA is much smaller (rarely over GBP100 r/t.)

If the choice of flights was a dinner flight on a FRA-LHR distance, I am very happy with BA. A LHR-DME/IST/LCA would be more pleasant on the AA product - CE seating isn't that much fun on those length sectors. CX's regional business class would be much nicer on either option.

But in the end, all comparisons are odious. ;)

krug Dec 4, 2004 11:45 am

Awwwwwwwwwwwww..........I was looking forward to another "Celebrity Death Match"!

Can't we go over well trodden ground just once more (the initial treatment for cx syndrome isn't working)!

Fraser Dec 4, 2004 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by apudme
Can't we go over well trodden ground just once more (the initial treatment for cx syndrome isn't working)!

I believe newcx did that and ended up in a padded cell asking himself questions about elevator acceleration speeds, ice cream storage on AA domestic flights and fat content in Raid the Larder Cadbury's chocolate.....watch out or you too may be playing hide and seek with the men in white coats. Call the clinic ;)

AJLondon Dec 4, 2004 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by fbgdavidson
I believe newcx did that and ended up in a padded cell asking himself questions ..... watch out or you too may be playing hide and seek with the men in white coats. Call the clinic ;)

Totally agree with you Fraser, ^ but then again who knows what it takes to satisfy some people. Even though you and I may not understand it, maybe apudme fancies a padded cell and men in white coats.... :p ;)

Dave_C Dec 4, 2004 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by AJLondon
Even though you and I may not understand it, maybe apudme fancies a padded cell and men in white coats.... :p ;)

I think you may be getting confused with The Hoist.

AJLondon Dec 4, 2004 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Dave_C

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Now I am confused Dave. Is this something that innocent little me is supposed to understand?

Imperial Special Dec 4, 2004 2:21 pm

[QUOTE=Swanhunter]
Of course, if you look at pricing it makes interesting. Domestic F is - generally - priced a long way above fullY, whereas the gap between J and Y on BA is much smaller (rarely over GBP100 r/t.)

This was certainly true in the US until recently but with competition we now have a variety of A and YUP fares available to those who want to travel and have a somewhat flexible schedule. Recently, I traveled on a 7 day advance purchase YUP, booked into A class on AA from JFK to SFO for $527 ow. This was on the 2 class B763 and the service was very nice -Breakfast and a Fruit/Cheese and Cookie service later. CO offer these prices ex EWR, initially because of competition from ATA.

European carriers (the major ones at least BEA, AF, LH etc.) used to offer a short haul F product until the early 1970s. I don't know what their load factors were but the introduction of 'Club Europe' with convertible seating gave the airlines many more options - at the expense of the premium passenger.

iainbhx Dec 4, 2004 2:55 pm

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Wouldn't they mainly be wearing other things there.

QF have the same ice-cream as dessert thing, btw.

Oh and QF domestic business is probably the best of both worlds, decent food, nice wine and a pretty good seat (2-2 on 738's for instance).

SYDguy Dec 5, 2004 6:19 am

[QUOTE=AJLondon
Even though you and I may not understand it, maybe apudme fancies a padded cell and men in white coats....[/QUOTE]

I know Manacle is certainly missing the revenue. ;) :D :D

iainbhx Dec 5, 2004 7:53 am

Originally Posted by SYDguy
I know Manacle is certainly missing the revenue. ;) :D :D

I don't think you could compare Manacle to the Hoist. :eek: :eek: :eek:

SYDguy Dec 5, 2004 9:52 am

Originally Posted by iainbhx
I don't think you could compare Manacle to the Hoist. :eek: :eek: :eek:

So that was the real reason behind the Sandwich Incident.
Bless.

iainbhx Dec 5, 2004 10:51 am

Originally Posted by SYDguy
So that was the real reason behind the Sandwich Incident.
Bless.

Nah, that was me just feeling a bit down and lonely and a long way from home. I just lost it for about an hour, it happened again in AKL a couple of weeks later.

Only 48 hours to go and I will be home.

ozzie Dec 6, 2004 2:44 am

And on BA at least you ALWAYS get some food.

Last month I bought a walk up F ticket for $1000.00 (one way) from ORD to JFK. Flight left at 8:00pm - no food in sight !!!