Who is planning to buy BA Miles before 31 Dec?

Old Dec 3, 04, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Who is planning to buy BA Miles before 31 Dec?

This is the first year in which UK members have been able to buy BA Miles - up to 15,000 per calendar year. So, if I am going to take up my 2004 entitlement of 15,000, I need to do it in the next week or so.

I am in two minds about whether to go for it. (It would have helped if BA was having a sale like the one Lufthansa has launched - buy 10k, get 2k free). 255 is a not insubstantial amount of money to hand over for no immediate tangible benefit.

On one hand, it clearly makes mathematical sense. 15,000 miles is the net cost of one MFU and, at the most extreme example, it is 1/7th of an Amex 2-for-1 in Club to San Francisco, which I would certainly value at more than (255x7=) 1,785.

On the other hand, I still have 175k miles in my account, plus another slug due from Tesco. I am unlikely to make a major redemption apart from MFU's until my next Amex voucher comes along, which will not happen until at least next October (my clock does not restart until 1st Feb).

What does everyone else think?
Old Dec 3, 04, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by RJB
This is the first year in which UK members have been able to buy BA Miles - up to 15,000 per calendar year. So, if I am going to take up my 2004 entitlement of 15,000, I need to do it in the next week or so.

I am in two minds about whether to go for it. (It would have helped if BA was having a sale like the one Lufthansa has launched - buy 10k, get 2k free). 255 is a not insubstantial amount of money to hand over for no immediate tangible benefit.

On one hand, it clearly makes mathematical sense. 15,000 miles is the net cost of one MFU and, at the most extreme example, it is 1/7th of an Amex 2-for-1 in Club to San Francisco, which I would certainly value at more than (255x7=) 1,785.

On the other hand, I still have 175k miles in my account, plus another slug due from Tesco. I am unlikely to make a major redemption apart from MFU's until my next Amex voucher comes along, which will not happen until at least next October (my clock does not restart until 1st Feb).

What does everyone else think?
Depends on your self payed (award )Travel plans for next year and how meny miles you think will earn next year. I plan a full year in advance, well 11 months as and when awards are made available. I always need 3 tickets so I keep long of miles. I have booked all awards I will need for 2005 and Have enough miles for 2006, so buying 15 kmiles is not something I would do. If I was short of miles then yes I would probably buy miles as is does make financial sence for a MFU.
Old Dec 3, 04, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold...Aah how nice! HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond,AA Yellow + Tesco
I think it is one of these things were you won't know if you need them...until you need them!

I would say buy them. Then at least next year if you need them plus more you have next years allowance and if you don;t get round to using them for a while then hey ho, at least you didn't have a shortfall.

I have never done an MFU before so hadn't considered that it would help cover an MFU once you take in to account the miles earned on a W/T booking. In that case 255 is a good price to get to J.

I added an EI H Class to my recent run to BCN/AGP for 129 which earned me the OW Bonus 15k miles. I thought that was good in comparison to the 255 BA charge. I am still undecided if I will buy the Miles. I have 5 on the household account so for 1275 I could buy 75k miles which I could use with my Fathers Amex voucher and get 2 J tickets for us to the US next year. That is still good value. I f I price the extra 25k Miles and the same cost then I am getting 2 J Tix for around 16-1700 which is half price.

Search this Thread