Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Improved seat number pre-allocation facility

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Improved seat number pre-allocation facility

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by grgraham
Does anyone know whether the seat map is likely to open up a bit more, closer to departure, or am I destined to remain forever in 31D.....

Would be interested to hear other peoples experiences - particularly when travelling in Y.
I would be very surprised if bulkheads, exit rows, etc, were able to be pre-allocated to groups.

However, I am yet to fly in Economy with BA and Hong Kong will in fact be my first trip in 'World Traveller' ( )! I would imagine that the 'better' seats in Economy are reserved for Silver/Gold members. I notice from you're profile you are Blue which could be the reason for some seats consecutively appearing to be preallocated when in fact they are probably available.

The only way further seats would become available would be via people changing what they already have or 'no shows'.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by schofs
Apologies if already covered (Hello - first time poster here )...

I do the comuter run of LGW-MAN every week - they never used to allow you to choose seats until checkin on domestic UK routes - now they do, but only from rows 4/5 backwards... I'm assuming this is because I'm a lowly silver...

However just checked in for tomorrow's flight, and fortunately the front row still had a space for me...

Does anyone else fly domestic UK... and does anyone have access to the front few rows before OLCI? (eg Golds)
BA regularly block the first 4-5 rows on the LGW-MAN domestics. This is because many of the flights are not full and they need to balance the weight load in the cabin. Sometimes the first 8 or 9 rows can be blocked.

On the busier flights, rows are progressively released until OLCI when you can often get row 1.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 1:31 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Interesting recent MMB experience

Asked the question on BA FT of what would happen if you'd made an award booking using BA Miles (using a lower tier membership) but then asked for a higher tier other OW m'ship to be entered in the booking - however, no replies.

Result: using MMB (Manage My Booking) I was able to jump forward for seat allocation, but with only two rows viewable at any given time.

Seats at time of booking: Row 24.

Seats after a few MMB sessions: Row 12.

Interestingly, even now the first two rows of Y remain blocked out. Understand the reason for row 1 (cf Prems / BA Golds) but can't work out why row 2; still this seems to have been an increasingly common feature since the recent 'enhancements'.

IE Rows 1-4 or 5 (depending on route etc) blocked out. Next along: other OW Emeralds / BA Silvers; next in pecking order: BA Blues and A.N. other.

Last edited by virtualtroy; Jan 6, 2005 at 8:49 am
Old Jan 6, 2005, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Prem, LH Blue, Thai Gold ,KLM Ivory, Priority Club Plat, HiltonH Gold, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by virtualtroy
Asked the question on BA BT of what would happen if you'd made an award booking using BA Miles (using a lower tier membership) but then asked for a higher tier other OW m'ship to be entered in the booking - however, no replies.

Result: using MMB I was able to jump forward for seat allocation, but with only two rows viewable at any given time.

Seats at time of booking: Row 24.

Seats after a few MMB sessions: Row 12.

Interestingly, even now the first two rows of Y remain blocked out. Understand the reason for row 1 (cf Prems / BA Golds) but can't work out why row 2; still this seems to have been an increasingly common feature since the recent 'enhancements'.

IE Rows 1-4 or 5 (depending on route etc) blocked out. Next along: other OW Emeralds / BA Silvers; next in pecking order: BA Blues and A.N. other.

*sigh, please can someone tell me what MMB is and what it means?

Ta
Old Jan 6, 2005, 7:28 am

Programs: British Airways, Cathay Pacific
Originally Posted by StevieJ
*sigh, please can someone tell me what MMB is and what it means?

Ta
See here
Old Jan 22, 2005, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Very nice - mileage booking made by a friend (with no status) in F, no good seats available on MMB... As soon as my EC number (Gold) was added to the booking, we were allowed to allocate 1A/K. At last - a Gold perk that works! ^
Old Feb 1, 2005, 11:57 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
I've been waiting for this improvement for some time now, but at last, it seems the full seat maps for UK domestics are being loaded. My experience on 737s on the MAN-LGW run is that generally all seats are available except the first row (that's with a BA Gold number entered).

I do wonder how BA will cope with some of the MAN-LGW flights which are relatively emptied (perhaps more so now Jet2com are servicing the route as well) and dealing with the trim. I hope it's not back to the old days of ordering passengers down the back for take-off!
Old Feb 2, 2005, 1:35 am

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver
Originally Posted by pennineuk
I've been waiting for this improvement for some time now, but at last, it seems the full seat maps for UK domestics are being loaded. My experience on 737s on the MAN-LGW run is that generally all seats are available except the first row (that's with a BA Gold number entered).

I do wonder how BA will cope with some of the MAN-LGW flights which are relatively emptied (perhaps more so now Jet2com are servicing the route as well) and dealing with the trim. I hope it's not back to the old days of ordering passengers down the back for take-off!
I do the LGW-MAN return flight a lot - I ususally find that even during OLCI the front seats are blocked off on the MAN-LGW run, but I've never had that happen on the way up (LGW-MAN) - even when there's only been 20 pax!
Old Feb 2, 2005, 1:36 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
The new system worked like a dream on a couple of recent LGW-TLS-LGW runs: first row of Y, with other seats in the row blocked out.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 1:39 am

As silver, I can't see forward of row 4 tho on MMB...
Old Nov 3, 2005, 12:56 pm

Reversal of fortune?

A revival of this thread thanks to timely a reminder from jamespvg here.

Whatever was there in the original offer seems to me to have been taken away, we're back to before the announcement that started this thread, whereby prime seats were blocked off to non-BA OW Emeralds - but also judging from what I've heard from some of you - also to BA Golds.

Methinks it may be a bug, as there has been a separate thread running on this which MMB_Feedback looks in on.

I'll post back if I hear anything further which is useful.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Hmm ... I'm finding that a phone call can still work wonders. And I'm neither BA Gold nor OW Emerald.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:29 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by NYLON Boy
Forgive me for wading into this minefield, but aren't we being a bit childish? When it comes to discussing BA operations, status does matter. So it seems entirely relevant to me if a Gold says he can't see any change in seating availability - if anyone should, it'd be a Gold.
I agree (we should be second in the queue after the Premiers... respect, grovel, doff cap etc.). However should I one day fall back to Silver I would be most disappointed if I was treated in a way that devalued my status. After all if there is no benefit to Siver on BA then people will vote with their feet, won' t they?

Originally Posted by NYLON Boy
As for Concorde, let's all show some respect to the sadly departed and not use her name in vain
The fast plane.... sob...

Last edited by BA or bust; Nov 8, 2005 at 5:54 am
Old Nov 8, 2005, 6:03 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by BA or bust
The fast plane.... sob...
You're not the only one.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by schofs
Does anyone else fly domestic UK... and does anyone have access to the front few rows before OLCI? (eg Golds)
I'm pleased to say 2 years on I can now answer this - YES! Golds can now access Row 1 on UK Domestics

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.