Household Account Expiry Question

Old Nov 28, 04, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Household Account Expiry Question

Would anyone know whether each component account comprising a BAEC Household Account must show activity at least once per 36 months to avoid expiry of the miles in that particular component account? Or will regular activity in one component account keep the entire Household Account balance intact?

If the former is the case my young son is going to have to send someone flowers, like, tomorrow...

Thank you in advance.
Old Nov 28, 04, 11:39 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by BearX220
Would anyone know whether each component account comprising a BAEC Household Account must show activity at least once per 36 months to avoid expiry of the miles in that particular component account? Or will regular activity in one component account keep the entire Household Account balance intact?

If the former is the case my young son is going to have to send someone flowers, like, tomorrow...

Thank you in advance.
According to the BAEC T&C:

"12.3 If a Member has not earned or redeemed Mileage for 36 consecutive months, all Mileage that has accrued to that date will expire."

So, yes, I would get your son to send you some flowers .
Old Nov 29, 04, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
As a follow up, what happens if one - blue - member of a household a/c does not manage the 4 qualifying flights in a given account membership year (if one of the others is an active Gold) ?
Old Nov 29, 04, 4:14 am
dnw

Originally Posted by BearX220
Or will regular activity in one component account keep the entire Household Account balance intact?
In fact this is the correct answer. Only one 'active' account required per household.
Old Nov 29, 04, 4:54 am

It's Monday, so that means it's "disagree with dnw" day.

I'm not so sure. I'd make sure there was activity on all the accounts in the household just to be sure. We know how rubbish BA are at writing database queries. It's going to be easier to keep your miles going than it is to get them back if they remove them.
Old Nov 29, 04, 5:06 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
I agree with Dave_C: it appears one account can expire independently of the others although BA use cease (passive) instead of terminate:

16.1.13 If a participant dies, ceases to reside at the Household Account address or ceases to be a Member of the British Airways Executive Club, the unredeemed Mileage held by that person will be removed from the Household Account balance.

And no activity may well close the account, not just cause the milage to expire:

3.12 Membership will terminate automatically:

3.12.1 in the event of the expiry of all Mileage in accordance with Clause 12.3 when a Member has not earned or redeemed Mileage for 36 consecutive months
Old Nov 29, 04, 5:39 am
dnw

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...t=35644&page=2

I have also seen it mentioned somewhere else but can't find it right now.

Given that a household account allows one members EC 'qualification' to be extended to numerous others upon joining, it seems logical that that be extended through the life of the account...

Old Nov 29, 04, 6:10 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Sorry to make you doubly mad dnw

While I believe you are right, if I were the OP I would probably still buy some miles given that BA customer services can be contradictory. I know a written confirmation is better than verbal, but they would be relying on someone else's reply, and is it worth the hassle. It's doesn't seem to be clarified on askBA or the T&Cs.

That said, just emailing BA yourself would provide the answer without a potentially unnecessary expense, but can you coun on getting a reply??
Old Nov 29, 04, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OP here -- thank you all for your help! I very much want dnw to be correct, but I am going to transfer a few Diners Club points into my son's account just as a form of insurance... it speaks volumes that the Club's most knowledgeable and experienced members can differ on a fairly basic matter like this.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 1, 05, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by dnw
In fact this is the correct answer. Only one 'active' account required per household.
DNW is correct. Only one member of the household account has to have activity in a 36-month period to extend the miles of all other members of the account for another 36 months. I received this answer over the phone; then decided I wanted it in writing (hopefully worth something), so have that from BA as well, dated less than a week ago.
Old Jan 1, 05, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

REALLY. Well, as things turned out I couldn't transfer DC points into accounts that were Not Mine Own, so I purchased 1,000 miles each for my wife's and son's accounts, spending $80. Live and learn... I hope this thread saves someone else the uncertainty, not to mention $80.
Old Jan 3, 05, 1:32 am

For future reference (and if the program doesn't get completely gutted), AFAIK an Executive Dining transaction should do the trick for a US member with nearly expiring miles.

Search this Thread