Wiki Posts
Search

Amex OpenJaw Award Legal ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2004, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Amex OpenJaw Award Legal ?

My first post after many months lurking.

I have enough Star miles for 2 award o/w tickets NRT-SIN-SYD in SQ F, which I would love to combine with my BA miles and my latest Amex voucher.

I haven't been able to determine if it is within the rules of openjaw Amex awards to route outbound LHR-NRT and inbound SYD-BKK-LHR with a stopover in BKK.

Any ideas from the experts out there ?
Old Nov 18, 2004, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by JeffBHD
My first post after many months lurking.

I have enough Star miles for 2 award o/w tickets NRT-SIN-SYD in SQ F, which I would love to combine with my BA miles and my latest Amex voucher.

I haven't been able to determine if it is within the rules of openjaw Amex awards to route outbound LHR-NRT and inbound SYD-BKK-LHR with a stopover in BKK.

Any ideas from the experts out there ?

Should not be a problem.

I have done LHR HKG and BKK LON .

Also LHF JFK - PHX _ LHR

and I know other people have also use for open jaw.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 5:47 pm

Programs: Mucci Platinum Hairbrush des Bonnes Nouvelles. BA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, AA LTS, KL LTPt, Easy Flight Club
I've done LHR-PEK, returing CPT - LHR with no issue at all (other than fielding curious questions from the reservations team about how I was going to get bewteen the two !
Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HH DIAMOND, IHG PLAT, RYANAIR NO OTHER OPTION FLYER
Award Open Jaws and Stopovers

Before finding this thread I asked BA reservations about ba miles/amex open jaw and was told that it was only permitted if the open jaw points were in the same country. Obviously this ruling wasnt applied to previous posters. If there hasnt been some recent rule change is there any written evidence I can quote when I return to reservations? Also are intra-European open jaws treated the same way as intercontinental?

I also presume that an open jaw (assuming it is still permissible) doesnt negate the chance to have stopovers in either direction. In any case is it permissible to have a stopover in manchester either one way or both ways on lhr or lgw primary routings eg Dubrovnik-London-Manchester (stopover)-London-Miami (destination)-London-Manchester(stopover)-Dubrovnik?
Old Dec 15, 2004, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by carbonaddict
Before finding this thread I asked BA reservations about ba miles/amex open jaw and was told that it was only permitted if the open jaw points were in the same country. Obviously this ruling wasnt applied to previous posters. If there hasnt been some recent rule change is there any written evidence I can quote when I return to reservations? Also are intra-European open jaws treated the same way as intercontinental?

I also presume that an open jaw (assuming it is still permissible) doesnt negate the chance to have stopovers in either direction. In any case is it permissible to have a stopover in manchester either one way or both ways on lhr or lgw primary routings eg Dubrovnik-London-Manchester (stopover)-London-Miami (destination)-London-Manchester(stopover)-Dubrovnik?
i) ba customer services give varying answers. Best option is to call back and if you get a no again, say that a "friend" has done this and can they get a second opinion on this,

ii) open jaw won't negate stopover options, but a ba amex 241 trip has to originate in the UK, does it not? (Or do you mean a an old fashioned Amex cash buy-one-get-one-free companion ticket?)
Old Dec 15, 2004, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HH DIAMOND, IHG PLAT, RYANAIR NO OTHER OPTION FLYER
thanks for this. I had missed the small print of ba amex 241 needing to originate in the UK. however if I book a regular award using straight ba miles I presume (as the web site lets me book it) that non-UK origination is OK for a UK based member. if so can I take a manchester stopover as described above for such a regular award?
Old Dec 16, 2004, 1:09 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by carbonaddict
thanks for this. I had missed the small print of ba amex 241 needing to originate in the UK. however if I book a regular award using straight ba miles I presume (as the web site lets me book it) that non-UK origination is OK for a UK based member. if so can I take a manchester stopover as described above for such a regular award?
I don't think you can do this. If you want to untimately do Dubrovnik-Miami, the routing is Dubrovnik-London-Miami and back, so your only stopover option is London. Manchester is a side trip in the eyes of BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.