FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Timing of tier promotions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/36050-timing-tier-promotions.html)

Blumie Jan 13, 2004 1:08 pm

Timing of tier promotions

I just logged onto ba.com to confirmed that my latest flight had posted, bringing me to the 600-tier-point level. My account shows me at 600 tier points, but still lists me as blue. Shouldn't the system automatically have bumped me to silver, or is a delay normal. (And please don't tell me this is a BA "enhancement"!)

dnw Jan 13, 2004 2:41 pm

Its normal and will take a couple of weeks to update. Try to avoid earning any more tier points in the mean time http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif

DCBritboy Jan 13, 2004 8:43 pm

I recalled that when I went from Blue to Silver it took 24hrs or so after flights posted for it to change,

I just turned gold last weekend and that happened in one foul swoop.

By now Silver should show, I hope, the card will take a few weeks but all your subsequent BP's will reflect Silver.

Cheers

Weeflyer Jan 14, 2004 8:31 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dnw:
Its normal and will take a couple of weeks to update. Try to avoid earning any more tier points in the mean time http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif</font>
I agree. I made some flights in the time between I was upgraded to Sliver and it actuallt came through on my account - and lost 110 tier points. To be fair, a quick phone call later BAE agreed that I should have them. However, it seems that they can't update their system, so just put a note into the acount. We'll see how that works next year!

rbflyer Jan 14, 2004 2:26 pm

I passed 1500 tier points on Monday. My account shows me as Gold today. Not sure how long it takes to get a new card though.

Blumie Jan 15, 2004 7:49 am

It has been 48 hours since my flight posted that took me to 600 points, and I still am listed as blue. As I do not have any BA flights scheduled in the immediate future, I'll give it a week or so before I call BA.

rexee Jan 15, 2004 12:18 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Weeflyer:
I agree. I made some flights in the time between I was upgraded to Sliver and it actuallt came through on my account - and lost 110 tier points. To be fair, a quick phone call later BAE agreed that I should have them. However, it seems that they can't update their system, so just put a note into the acount. We'll see how that works next year! </font>
This happened to me last year and I seem to have maintained my silver status. I phoned them last week when my membership year ended. My Tier Points have been reset; my online account is showing Silver status and they I was told to expect my new Silver card and pack in the next few weeks.

The system might not work but there was no drama when it came to the crunch.

dillon2002 Jan 16, 2004 3:39 am

You have flown on BA? Not just oneworld partners? As I believe there is a min no. of BA sectors to get silver?

Massimum Jan 16, 2004 4:18 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dillon2002:
You have flown on BA? Not just oneworld partners? As I believe there is a min no. of BA sectors to get silver?</font>
You need to flight at least 4 BA sector to be upgraded. Same thing happened to me.
Since this rule is not in their T&Cs I called BAEC to be upgraded. After they checked it was not there they agreed to upgrade me. It took about a week but now I am silver

Blumie Jan 16, 2004 10:18 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Massimum:
You need to flight at least 4 BA sector to be upgraded. Same thing happened to me.
Since this rule is not in their T&Cs I called BAEC to be upgraded. After they checked it was not there they agreed to upgrade me. It took about a week but now I am silver
</font>
That may be my issue. I earned my 600 tier points as follows:

BA LHR-BOS F 180 points
BA BOS-LHR F 180 points
BA LHR-SIN F 180 points
CX BKK-HKG F 60 points

I don't see anything that suggests I need four BA segments.

dnw Jan 16, 2004 1:04 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Blumie:
I don't see anything that suggests I need four BA segments.</font>
It is clarifed in the new (1st Feb 04 onwards( T&Cs:

6.2 Card entitlement is based on the number of Tier Points earned in a Year. Each Member’s Card status will be reviewed at the end of each Year before the expiration of the current Card. Tier Points can only be counted once. At the end of each Year or upon promotion to another tier level, the Member’s Tier Point level returns to zero. Members progress from Blue to Silver and from Silver to Gold. Members must ensure they take at least four flights operated by British Airways that are eligible for Tier Points each Year in order to achieve or retain Blue, Silver or Gold Card status.

You should therfore get through on a technicality (i.e., it isn't explicitly mentioned in the current T&Cs)

FF_Bello Jan 17, 2004 2:40 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dnw:
It is clarifed in the new (1st Feb 04 onwards( T&Cs:

6.2 Card entitlement is based on the number of Tier Points earned in a Year. Each Member’s Card status will be reviewed at the end of each Year before the expiration of the current Card. Tier Points can only be counted once. At the end of each Year or upon promotion to another tier level, the Member’s Tier Point level returns to zero. Members progress from Blue to Silver and from Silver to Gold. Members must ensure they take at least four flights operated by British Airways that are eligible for Tier Points each Year in order to achieve or retain Blue, Silver or Gold Card status.

You should therfore get through on a technicality (i.e., it isn't explicitly mentioned in the current T&Cs)

</font>
Does this mean that without 4 tier point eligible flights as a blue you get kicked out of the EC, or do you simply get downgraded, in that case to what?

Blumie Jan 19, 2004 3:28 pm

I have been exchanging e-mails with BA. BA claims that the four-flight rule is already in effect and that, therefore, I do not qualify for silver. Anybody have any additional insight into this?

Disco Volante Jan 19, 2004 3:59 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Blumie:
I have been exchanging e-mails with BA. BA claims that the four-flight rule is already in effect and that, therefore, I do not qualify for silver. Anybody have any additional insight into this? </font>
No real insight from me I'm afraid. But if the rule is not in their T & C or in the handbook to which they refer (I can't find this, anyone know where it is) then common sense suggests that it can not apply.

But from Feb onwards, am I right in understanding that you lose Blue EC membership if you do not take 4 eligible flights a year?

[This message has been edited by The Disco Volante (edited Jan 19, 2004).]

Fraser Jan 19, 2004 4:35 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by The Disco Volante:

But from Feb onwards, am I right in understanding that you lose Blue EC membership if you do not take 4 eligible flights a year?
</font>
Well that along with 25% on discount Y is one way to get rid of leisure travellers!