FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Latest news on T1 improvements (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/36021-latest-news-t1-improvements.html)

vSFU Sep 30, 2003 5:32 am

Latest news on T1 improvements

Improvements to passenger facilities at Heathrow Terminal 1

New Premium Check-in concourse
This new area is dedicated to FIRST, Club World, and Club Europe customers and Gold and Silver Executive Club members. It is separate from the current main concourse and clearly signposted as 'British Airways Premium Check-in (Zone R)'.

Special facilities include dedicated:

Ticket desk

Currency exchange

Self-Service Check-in kiosks

Security/passport control

Upgraded Economy Check-in area
Situated on the main concourse and dedicated to Euro Traveller, World Traveller and World Traveller Plus customers, the new area includes:

Upgraded check-in facilities, including 36 check-in desks

A new area with 12 Self-Service Check-in kiosks

New Arrivals Lounge
Situated on the Departures level on the link bridge between Terminals 1 and 2. Dedicated to FIRST, Club World customers and Gold Executive Club Members, the new lounge includes:

15 shower suites

Suit pressing service

Combiz area

Sanctuary

Smoking room

Full breakfast service

New Departures Lounge
Dedicated to FIRST, Club World, and Club Europe customers and Gold and Silver Executive Club Members, the new Lounge Pavilion includes:

'Terraces' lounge, with seating for up to 650

Molton Brown Travel Spa (for FIRST and Club World customers) - ready for end November 2003

Suit pressing service

World Duty Free shop - ready early 2004

Combiz area

Sanctuary

Smoking room

Separate FIRST lounge (for FIRST customers and Gold Executive Club members) with a pre-flight dining room available for FIRST customers traveling on flights departing Heathrow after 20.00.

Note: We are currently upgrading the lounge facilities at Terminal 1. From 26 October 2003 FIRST customers and Gold Executive Club members will be able to use the 'Terraces' lounge, with the separate FIRST lounge due to open fully in early 2004. In the interim, a pre-flight dining service will be available for FIRST customers. In the interim, alternative arrangements will be made to provide a pre-flight dining service for FIRST customers.

House Sep 30, 2003 6:46 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by marklondon101:

New Departures Lounge
Dedicated to FIRST, Club World, and Club Europe customers and Gold and Silver Executive Club Members, the new Lounge Pavilion includes:

World Duty Free shop - ready early 2004

</font>
Do I read this right? Are even the lounges no longer sacrosanct from the intrusion of BAA's relentless retail march? What next? Immigration agents selling newspapers? Branches of Sunglass Hut on the airbridges for long haul flights? "Impulse buy" confectionery displays at check-in desks?

Fraser Sep 30, 2003 6:55 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by House:
Do I read this right? Are even the lounges no longer sacrosanct from the intrusion of BAA's relentless retail march? What next? Immigration agents selling newspapers? Branches of Sunglass Hut on the airbridges for long haul flights? "Impulse buy" confectionery displays at check-in desks?</font>
The T4 Lounge Pavilion has World Duty Free right outside the door maybe this is a similar kind of arrangement

Swanhunter Sep 30, 2003 7:06 am

As the pre-refurbishment T1 lounge also had a little duty free shop it's not much of a change. I think it's quite convenient to pop in and load up rather than mingling with the proles in the main terminal.

The lounge is still a disaster zone - lots of banging, crashing and thumping going on. The new 'premium' check in area has also opened up and there were a few members of BA staff practising.

jchand Mar 4, 2004 11:32 am

Any news on the First lounge ? Is it open yet? If not does any one know what date it will be opening ??

alexwuk Mar 4, 2004 11:39 am

A quick question about Zone R: Are AA Platinums (OW Sapphire) allowed to checkin there? I seem to remember an AA PLT mentioned to me that he was turned away since it was for "BA Elite's only".

Thanks.

Regards,
Alex

dnw Mar 4, 2004 11:48 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jchand:
Any news on the First lounge ? Is it open yet? If not does any one know what date it will be opening ??</font>
Keep an eye on the AskBA FAQs for updates- the one mark has posted above has just been updated to say that the MB Spa is now open for business.

daph Mar 4, 2004 12:21 pm

And what will there be for Blues???

ScottC Mar 4, 2004 12:28 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by daph:
And what will there be for Blues???</font>

A long queue, bad air conditioning, rude checkin staff and non-preferential seating are just a few of the new enhanced perks for Blue members http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif

GUWonder Mar 4, 2004 12:30 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by alexwuk:
A quick question about Zone R: Are AA Platinums (OW Sapphire) allowed to checkin there? I seem to remember an AA PLT mentioned to me that he was turned away since it was for "BA Elite's only".

Thanks.

Regards,
Alex
</font>
All AA elites are to be allowed use of that check-in area. Business class (or First Class, for OneWorld Emeralds) check-in is a OneWorld benefit and included on the agreements BA has signed onto in regards to that matter.

Internaut Mar 4, 2004 12:30 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by daph:
And what will there be for Blues???</font>
The simple answer to your question is nothing. In line with just about every other airline in the world, BA expect you to fly a few times with them and then they'll give you silver which (in line with just about every other airline in the world) will give you a few benefits including priority check in and some lounge access.

Now (and this is the really good part), if you fly lots with them and spend a lot of money per flight you get (in line with just about every other airline in the world) Gold in which case BA will treat you really well.

The drawbacks of this? For starters, they'll never give a tight arse like me any status.

Until economists create and prove the world's first fully sustainable self perpetuating free lunch, matters will remain pretty much as I've outlined above.

Fraser Mar 4, 2004 1:33 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:

A long queue, bad air conditioning, rude checkin staff and non-preferential seating are just a few of the new enhanced perks for Blue members http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif
</font>
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif