Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What happens in Redmond, Oregon (and why) ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2003, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)

Rang the EC Germany at approx 10.00 AM yesterday morning to alter an award booking (ANU - LGW) from early October to late October and spoke to a very helpful man with a US accent. This was unusual as I have only ever spoken to women with a Germanic accent.

Checked the altered booking later on checkmytrip.com to find that it hads been duly altered but that it includes the following note

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION !
Sunday, January 4, 2004
Location Redmond / Redmond, Oregon USA
perow

Can anyone shed any light on what this might be all about ? Surely at 10.00 AM Euro time no-one would have been awake in Oregon ?? What has Jan 4th next year got to do with anything and what does 'perow' mean ??

Old Sep 16, 2003, 6:41 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
I have seen strange information like this many times on checkmytrip. I'm not certain, but I think Amadeus is misinterpreting a code used by BA for Award Bookings and producing spurious info.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I used www.checkmytrip.com for the first time to see my seating for a J award and also saw the Redmond, OR blurb at the bottom of the travel information.

However since it was the first time I had used checkmytrip.com I presumed it was normal
Old Sep 16, 2003, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
I used www.checkmytrip.com for the first time to see my seating for a J award and also saw the Redmond, OR blurb at the bottom of the travel information.

However since it was the first time I had used checkmytrip.com I presumed it was normal
</font>
I am pretty certain that it was not there before the change of reservation. Most peculiar !

Old Sep 16, 2003, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I booked an award ticket in NCW in June & the Redmond comment has been at the bottom of the info on checkmytrip since day 1.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 8:11 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
This seems to be a strange "feature" of the booking system. Try checking an Award booking with Lufthansa on Checkmytrip, for example and the following text appears in the booking (I kid you not):

BUY A CHRISTMAS TREE...GO ON...YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO

Old Sep 16, 2003, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, so what would RDM mean to BA? I assume they enter it into the system and Checkmytrip thinks it's Redmond,OR...

Old Sep 16, 2003, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by House:
This seems to be a strange "feature" of the booking system. Try checking an Award booking with Lufthansa on Checkmytrip, for example and the following text appears in the booking (I kid you not):

BUY A CHRISTMAS TREE...GO ON...YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO

</font>

Now that is absolutely priceless. Absolutely ******* priceless. Perhaps it's just what makes me laugh, but that's made my day!
Old Sep 16, 2003, 9:30 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
The Lufthansa Christmas Tree thing is automatically included on any booking made by phone with the UK Call Centre (I first encountered it on my AIRail runs - happy days).

I just saw the Redmond "thing" on an e-ticket booking I just made - my first thought was: Microsoft are taking over the world!

Everyone hunker down in your bunkers/shelters - throw PCs out of the window - stay calm!

Then I remembered that Microsoft are based in Redmond, Washington.

Easy to confuse

Regards,
Alex
Old Sep 16, 2003, 9:49 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
The Redmond/Bend area is very beautiful. Great golf, gorgeous scenery, friendly people... Also, great beer.

Old Sep 16, 2003, 12:33 pm

If anyone ever figures out what Perow means please post!! Whenever I do a check my trip it's there and when I asked a BA rep what it meant she had no idea.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 1:09 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
OK, so what would RDM mean to BA? I assume they enter it into the system and Checkmytrip thinks it's Redmond,OR...
</font>
Maybe BA uses it in their system to denote a redemption?

I used to work with a computer system at Air Canada that had a command line interface and when you wanted to put together a ticket or fare quote for a given routing you would type XXX/YYY/ZZZ CAD for a fare between those cities in Canadian dollars. Maybe checkmytrip.com interprets the trailing data after a routing as a superflous station stop?
Old Sep 17, 2003, 10:53 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Frequentflyer99:

Checked the altered booking later on checkmytrip.com to find that it hads been duly altered but that it includes the following note

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION !
Sunday, January 4, 2004
Location Redmond / Redmond, Oregon USA
perow

Can anyone shed any light on what this might be all about ? Surely at 10.00 AM Euro time no-one would have been awake in Oregon ?? What has Jan 4th next year got to do with anything and what does 'perow' mean ??

[/B]</font>
If it's January, bring your skis. Redmond, OR (not Redmond, WA) is the closest airport to Bend and the Mt. Bachelor ski area, some of the best powder in the Pacific Northwest. Also home of the Deschutes Brewery (try the Black Butte Porter). If you enjoy rock climbing in the winter, Smith Rock State Park is mere minutes from the Redmond airport.

How this sort of stuff gets into the BA reservations system is beyond me--on my last booking, there was a rogue segment booked to some place in Iowa, causing mild hysteria at check-in.

Old Sep 17, 2003, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by YYZC2:
Maybe BA uses it in their system to denote a redemption?

I used to work with a computer system at Air Canada that had a command line interface and when you wanted to put together a ticket or fare quote for a given routing you would type XXX/YYY/ZZZ CAD for a fare between those cities in Canadian dollars. Maybe checkmytrip.com interprets the trailing data after a routing as a superflous station stop?
</font>
BINGO, that MUST be it! Thanks!
Old Sep 24, 2003, 1:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 2021-22-23;Formerly a longtime UA Premier Exec; NW silver (legacy), Alaska Gold (way back)
While you're in Redmond, Oregon, check out the log-cabin-style tavern on the west side of Highway 97 near the south end of town, which has karaoke on the weekends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.