Disloyal BA Flyer wants to get status cheap!

Old Feb 23, 04, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Disloyal BA Flyer wants to get status cheap!

I have flown BA from SEA for years, variously with Blue, Silver or Gold status. I have never paid for J or F. When BA devalued my 677,000 miles last year, and made it so expensive to earn BA tier points in coach, I expressed my outrage by simply switching to other carriers. After years of averaging around one BA flight a month, I haven't flown BA in 9 months (said proudly)!

1) I will shortly lose my silver status. I decided to find out how hard it would be to get it back. I found that I will never earn it from Seattle. Even if I pay their outrageous premiums for WT+, I have to fly 5 RTs to get to Silver, and an additional 8 to get to Gold. Who wants to fly that many times without status?

2) Then I found out that BA is encouraging their customers to move to the European continent! If you live in Europe, your tier point requirement is far lower than for the US, the UK, and the rest of the world!

3) Then I found that a SINGLE premium BA/Qantas flight to Australia can get me status. But that would be strictly a MR.

4) But then I found a way. For as few as two flights on AA domestic, without ever having climbed on BA metal, I can get BA Silver status!

5) I also found that I CAN get AA miles flying to London on BA... IF you fly from Canada, and not the US. So, if I ever need BA, I can just hop up to YVR and be on my way.

Does anyone know of any other cheap ways to get BA status?

If you have any comments about my table below, I'd appreciate hearing them too. (The formatting looks so good in the preview, and so bad in the real message).

The Tyranny of British Airways Tier Points__________ -Round Trips Required to get to Level-
________________________________________________ One Way BA-Silver BA-Gold EU-Silver EU-Gold
(There is a way to get BA Gold status easily…)____ Tier Points 600 1500 400 800
________________________________________________ Earned
BA Longhaul Club (JCDI)___________________________ 120 2.5 6.3 1.7 3.3
BA Longhaul First (FA)_____________________________ 180 1.7 4.2 1.1 2.2

AA non-UK 1-2000 miles Disc.Econ. 25% if KLMGNSVWQ___ 0 ___ ___ ___ ___
AA non-UK 2001+ miles Disc.Econ. 25% if KLMGNSVWQ____ 0 ___ ___ ___ ___
AA non-UK 1-2000 miles Full-Fare Economy (YBH) 100%__ 20 15.0 37.5 10.0 20.0
AA non-UK 2001+ miles Full-Fare Economy (YBH) 100%___ 60 5.0 12.5 3.3 6.7
AA non-UK 1-2000 miles Business (JDI) 125% miles______ 40 7.5 18.8 5.0 10.0
AA non-UK 2001+ miles Business (JDI) 125% miles_____ 120 2.5 6.3 1.7 3.3
AA non-UK 1-2000 miles First (FPA) 150% miles_________ 60 5.0 12.5 3.3 6.7
AA non-UK 2001+ miles First (FPA) 150% miles________ 180 1.7 4.2 1.1 2.2

BA/Qantas London-Australia Discount Economy__________ 0 ___ ___ ___ ___
BA/Qantas London-Australia Full-Fare Economy (YBH)____ 110 2.7 6.8 1.8 3.6
BA/Qantas London-Australia World Traveller Plus (WT)___ 135 2.2 5.6 1.5 3.0
BA/Qantas London-Australia Club (JCDI)______________ 220 1.4 3.4 0.9 1.8
BA/Qantas London-Australia First (FA)________________ 330 0.9 2.3 0.6 1.2

Minimum number of RT qualifying flights to get status _____ _ 0.9 2.3 0.6 1.2
Maximum number of RT qualifying flights to get status ____ _ 15.0 37.5 10.0 20.0

[This message has been edited by 925 (edited Feb 23, 2004).]
Old Feb 24, 04, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Are you talking about routing via Europe, or going straight across the Pacific on a code share?

[This message has been edited by Swiss Tony (edited Feb 24, 2004).]
Old Feb 24, 04, 2:14 am

You cannot requalify for Silver without taking at least four flights on BA metal, so scratch all the AA-only flights.

If you don't like BA that much, why you still want to requalify?

Old Feb 24, 04, 2:41 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Does anyone know of any other cheap ways to get BA status?
</font>
*cough* AA A-fares *cough*

Seriously, fly to LHR on a cheap AA/BA fare then fly a couple of LHR-MAN RT's in C for the BA segment requirements.

The rest of the flights can be made on AA. Look for LAS-LAX-SFO-LAX-LAS A fares. Last year AA had them on sale for $500. Quickest and cheapest 240 Tier points you can earn in the US.

You could also book LAX-ATL(via DFW) for around $600 and 240 points. That route is frequently cheap because of the DL Airtran battle.

------------------
"Rows 50 and above are business seats for those with infants" - gfowler-ord-1k
SkyTeam - "The whatever's leftover Alliance"
Old Feb 24, 04, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Thank you, ByrdluvsAWACO, for your clear, straight-forward, comprehensive reply!

Swiss Tony: The flight is from London to Australia on either BA or Qantas. At least that is what the BA website says.

Hammer: I will likely be forced by schedule to fly on BA sometime. And who knows... BA might actually change their NAEC behavior someday and turn back into a decent airline. Frankly, their people and their equipment are great. They also have the best schedules in my market. Their anti-customer attitude is the only thing wrong with them. July 1, 2003 was a very black day in my life.
Old Feb 24, 04, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 925:
I will likely be forced by schedule to fly on BA sometime. And who knows... BA might actually change their NAEC behavior someday and turn back into a decent airline. Frankly, their people and their equipment are great. They also have the best schedules in my market. Their anti-customer attitude is the only thing wrong with them. July 1, 2003 was a very black day in my life.</font>
Hmm. A dilemma between great people, great equipment and great schedules on the one hand ... and FF miles on the other. Sounds like BA's strategy is producing exactly the effect that BA wants.
Old Feb 24, 04, 11:13 am

Programs: HH Silver, SPG Gold, PC Plat, IC Royal Ambassador, UA 1K, Founder www.SeatExpert.com , CO Platinum

[This message has been edited by Jet2K (edited Feb 24, 2004).]
Old Feb 24, 04, 11:13 am
Original Poster

IF BA wants to focus on a niche market, they should turn their 747s in on a collection of private jets. They fly mass-market planes. They have to deal with the mass market because of that. And their corporate marketing folks are blowing it big time. I can't tell you how angry I, (a former VERY loyal) BA flyer and others I know feel so disrespected by their NAEC policies.

Offline example: I spent a long time filling out a written survey for BA last year. They specifically asked "Do you want us to contact you by phone". I checked "yes". Did they ever contact me? NO!

It is a matter of disrespect for me. I REALLY feel disrespected by BA's (anti) loyalty program. I feel that it is antagonistic, and stupid. It certainly doesn't fit into the American culture. Other airline's programs manipulate my behavior (yes they do!) for their benefit without offending me. BA's approach is just so OFFENSIVE.

I feel like BA stole money out of my pocket, and then repeatedly spat on me, someone that flown with them through thick and thin for many years and many miles.
Old Feb 24, 04, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.

[This message has been edited by Globaliser (edited Feb 24, 2004).]
Old Feb 24, 04, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 925:
It certainly doesn't fit into the American culture. </font>
I think the secret's in the name of the airline really....

....unless we've been ear-marked as the 53rd state or whatever
Old Feb 24, 04, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Swiss Tony:
I think the secret's in the name of the airline really....

....unless we've been ear-marked as the 53rd state or whatever
</font>
Actually, you were the previous owners of said country .
Old Feb 24, 04, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now you know why we were so keen to get rid of it
Old Feb 24, 04, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Swiss Tony:
Now you know why we were so keen to get rid of it </font>
... for fear that we would take over. Oh wait, we have taken over.
Old Feb 24, 04, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"IF BA wants to focus on a niche market, they should turn their 747s in on a collection of private jets."

They are not focusing on a niche market ( unless you class everyone that isn't stupid enough to think that mileage earning is the most important element of travel. ). There are a lot of people who buy tickets based on such weird reasons as schedules, being able to get to destination without changing en-route, service quality et al.

"And their corporate marketing folks are blowing it big time."

iirc, BA is making a profit. I'd hate to have marketing people who can help that happen.

"I can't tell you how angry I, (a former VERY loyal) BA flyer and others I know feel so disrespected by their NAEC policies."

you can if you want to

"Offline example: I spent a long time filling out a written survey for BA last year. They specifically asked "Do you want us to contact you by phone". I checked "yes". Did they ever contact me? NO!"

Istr that this sort of form asks that if they want to contact you about it, would you mind if they did. It isnt a statement that they will call,

"It certainly doesn't fit into the American culture."

phew. does that mean that BA will not upgrade all n sundry on flights just because there is a y in the day?

"I feel like BA stole money out of my pocket, and then repeatedly spat on me, someone that flown with them through thick and thin for many years and many miles."

Schemes change. There was warning of it; it didn't happen overnight

Dave
Old Feb 24, 04, 4:59 pm

Dave: With all due respect, BA can do what it wants with its program but if it wants to remain a World Class airline it needs to do two things:
1)Be more competitive with their FF program, and 2)try to smooth out the problems of the airport mess when flying through London.

Whenever I fly to Europe and need to change planes, I avoid London at all costs. The problems I have to deal with are not worth it and BA goes out of their way to make you feel like a third World citizen.

If BA wants to cater to people just living in the UK that is ok with me. If they want to market themselves to people living outside of the UK they have much work to do.

Search this Thread