Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What was Super Club?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2004, 4:53 am

Which came first: Thunderbirds or the VC-10?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
Nothing quite like the look of a BOAC VC-10</font>
Old Feb 10, 2004, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dakota:
</font>
Thunderbirds was made in 1966 - VC10s were around the same time weren't they.

The FireFlash looked like a souped up VC10.....

Old Feb 10, 2004, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by edi-traveller:
Thunderbirds was made in 1966 - VC10s were around the same time weren't they.

The FireFlash looked like a souped up VC10.....
</font>
Ah yes, I know the one. Weren't there engines up on the top of the tail?

Remember the London Airport on there! A bit different to LHR at the time

btw, that photo is taken from what is now T2 and the North Runway is in the background
Old Feb 10, 2004, 6:42 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dakota:

</font>
Not much in it, but the VC-10 by a nose. I remember them well and loved them - they were a far far pleasanter aircraft than the 707. the pax all loved them.

Now I'm going to tell you something.

Him Indoors and Virgil (TBird 2) look quite alike. When he's had a few they walk alike. Guess who pulls the strings?!

Old Feb 10, 2004, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PUCCI GALORE:

Him Indoors and Virgil (TBird 2) look quite alike. When he's had a few they walk alike. Guess who pulls the strings?!
</font>
Yes b'lady!

Old Feb 10, 2004, 7:32 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Ah Parker!

We have a little job to do. Bring the venom spitting hairbrush please. And whilst you are about it Three teas, two cream and one plain.

Thank YOu Parker

[This message has been edited by PUCCI GALORE (edited Feb 10, 2004).]
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:17 am

Ah Club and Super Club seen at first on the USA routes when the new RR 747-236 was able to make the West Coast non-stop at last

747-136
Previously only First and Economy on a 747-136
27F with 42'' leg room and Upper Deck Monarch F lounge with cocktail bar and steward (eventually lounge will go and get 30 Y seats upstairs)
plus 335 Y at 34'' pitch 2-4-3 abreast
(winter config 36F/315Y)

The came along Crown First and Executive Class/Club (9 abreast) followed by selling Club and Super Club (at 6 abreast) by using a new convertible seat that gave a 21'' seat width when in 6 abreast...The seat was wide, with a drop down tray/divider, but not really very comfy, leg room was better, but not much more than Y...

BA then had the flexibility to change the cabin configs on flights where the demand warranted, and could even downgrade to an all Y at 9 abreast...

Super Club 6 abreast but could be changed to 9 abreast Club or downgraded to all Y

Crown First
30 Y seats at first replacing the UD Monarch Lounge on the 747-136
1Aturnleft and daftboy like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:21 am

This 80s advert might help explain. It refers to Club and Super Club.

Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by Dakota
Heresy! The VC-10 every time!
Absolutely. I was a regular UM on the hot high African routes, the silent sporty climb out from short runways like Chileka is an experience sadly missing from commercial aviation today. Not only could they get in and out, they could climb straight to cruising altitude and make it back to London. A 707 out of the longer Nairobi field could only get airborne with enough fuel for Rome, and there was an alleged sighting of a 707 freighter leaving a wake across lake Victoria as it failed to gain altitude in the hotter thin air over the lake.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
In the Super Club cabin it looks like you had a limited choice of seats if you wanted to watch the film without being (heavily) smoked. I assume all passengers were lightly smoked, given the "smoking" seats next to the "non-smoking" seats.

I don't miss smokers in aircraft at all.
Dover2Golf and rog747 like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander

I don't miss smokers in aircraft at all.
Too right !

Wasn’t there a scene in Airplane when a guy requesting a smoking seat at check-in is handed a boarding pass with smoke billowing from its edges ..... ?

Some great archive stuff there from rog 747 thanks ^
rog747 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The conversations I have had with customers about sitting in a non smoking row in front of smoking, I would explain that is wasn’t a row where the smoke might not affect you but a row where you could not smoke.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:40 pm

A 15-year thread bump from @rog747 - surely that is some kind of record!? And with some fantastic old-school BA literature so a truly useful thread bump too. Thanks
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by squawk
A 15-year thread bump from @rog747 - surely that is some kind of record!? And with some fantastic old-school BA literature so a truly useful thread bump too. Thanks
I was thinking exactly the same thing! I didn't even realize FT went back 15 years.
rog747 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:20 pm

Wow I broke a record!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.