Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forget FIRST, this is the way to travel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2004, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by number_6:
Maybe you should try a real car, like a Bentley GT. Same manufacturer as the Maybach -- and both are really Beetles as they have some shared components -- but much better execution. Quite impressive, albeit a 3 year waiting list (unless you have a lot of pull). Mine is scheduled for 2006 (I don't have any pull).</font>
My rich uncle has one on order, not 100% sure when it is to be delivered although he ordered it around Xmas '02. He gets invited to go to car factories and goes around with test drivers and stuff. He and his wife got the VIP treatment @ Aston Martin. Hard life

Keep an eye out for a trip report!
Old Feb 6, 2004, 12:00 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
MONEY is the best thing in the world and not MILES.

When you have MONEY, you won't ever have to care about MILES or FF programmes.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 1:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by daniellam:
MONEY is the best thing in the world and not MILES.

When you have MONEY, you won't ever have to care about MILES or FF programmes.
</font>
A profound statement indeed.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 1:31 am

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by number_6:
Maybe you should try a real car, like a Bentley GT. Same manufacturer as the Maybach -- and both are really Beetles as they have some shared components -- but much better execution. Quite impressive, albeit a 3 year waiting list (unless you have a lot of pull). Mine is scheduled for 2006 (I don't have any pull).
</font>
A Maybach is manufactured by Mercedes-Benz, while the Bentley Continental GT (wow!) is made by Bentley, owned by Audi.

number_6, would this F/A 18A Blue Angel Hornet help your "need for speed" in the meantime?
Old Feb 6, 2004, 2:41 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by willyroo:
Originally posted by number_6:
Maybe you should try a real car, like a Bentley GT. Same manufacturer as the Maybach -- and both are really Beetles as they have some shared components -- but much better execution. Quite impressive, albeit a 3 year waiting list (unless you have a lot of pull). Mine is scheduled for 2006 (I don't have any pull).
</font>
A Maybach is manufactured by Mercedes-Benz, while the Bentley Continental GT (wow!) is made by Bentley, owned by Audi.

number_6, would this F/A 18A Blue Angel Hornet help your "need for speed" in the meantime?
I thought that Bentley is owned by BMW, and Rolls Royce is owned by VW ??

Old Feb 6, 2004, 4:13 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozzie:
I thought that Bentley is owned by BMW, and Rolls Royce is owned by VW ??

</font>
Its the other way around. VAG bought Bentley, BMW bought Rolls-Royce. VAG got the factories and Bentley brand, wheras BMW only got the Rolls-Royce brand.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 6:05 am
dnw

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bulkhead:
Its the other way around. VAG bought Bentley, BMW bought Rolls-Royce. VAG got the factories and Bentley brand, wheras BMW only got the Rolls-Royce brand.</font>
Not entirely correct... this was one of the best pieces of corporate maneuvering in recent history. BMW is one smart company.

Basically the Rolls-Royce name is actually owned by Rolls-Royce PLC (aerospace), a completely seperate company (builds the best engines for our favorite jets ) and the name is licensed to Rolls-Royce motors.

BMW knew this, because it had entered into a partnership with Rolls-Royce aerospace a few years before, (I remeber "BR" 'BMW Rolls-Royce' engine branding at Farnborough '96)

VW wanted the Rolls-Royce brand, but clearly didn't do its homework... when it started bidding for Rolls-Royce motors, BMW also pretended to be interested, resulting in a 'heated' bidding war, whilst it was also secretly negotiating with its previous partner and true owner of the brand, Rolls-Royce PLC.

VW announced with jubiliation that it had won the bidding for Rolls-Royce motors and was set to develop a new Rolls-Royce. BMW announced shortly afterwards that it had successfully aquired the Rolls-Royce brand from Rolls-Royce PLC and that it would honor the existing agreement but, suprise suprise, it would not renew the sub-license to Rolls-Royce motors after the current deal expired in 2003. Coincidently, this was about the time that both BMW and VW's new designs would have been ready.

So, VW ended up paying 1/2 billion for a couple of run down factories. The only saving grace was that the 'Bentley' brand WAS owned directly by Rolls-Royce motors, so they at least had something to call their new super-saloons.

BMW ended up with what it had wanted all along, the Rolls-Royce brand, for a fraction of the big dent in its competitors pocket.

Hence, the new Rolls-Royce Phantom is a BMW and the new Bentleys are VWs.

Fabulous.

[This message has been edited by dnw (edited Feb 06, 2004).]
Old Feb 6, 2004, 8:09 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Good explanation dnw.

Whose jet is it ? (First pic with the Maybach). Michael Schumacher has the same one but in different colour. There are pics of Schumacher's jet on www.airliners.net!

Hasso Plattner has a similar one which I once saw in George, South Africa.

When you have money you do not need miles. I have no money, consequently I need miles!
Old Feb 6, 2004, 8:33 am

Programs: BA/VS Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
It's part of the NetJets fleet. If you want to test one out, you can purchase a prepaid card with 25 hours on it from http://www.marquisjet.com/

Suddenly, top-tier FF cards don't seem that top-tier any more...
Old Feb 6, 2004, 9:07 am

Programs: BA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dnw:
BMW knew this, because it had entered into a partnership with Rolls-Royce aerospace a few years before, (I remember "BR" 'BMW Rolls-Royce' engine branding at Farnborough '96)</font>
These are the engines fitted to the Boeing 717 (not a lot of these round in Europe, I know) which are now just marketed as Rolls Royce, although the model number is BR715.

Old Feb 6, 2004, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WHBM:
These are the engines fitted to the Boeing 717 (not a lot of these round in Europe, I know) which are now just marketed as Rolls Royce, although the model number is BR715.</font>
Isn't that because Rolls Royce (the aero engine maker) bought out BMW's share of the BMW Rolls Royce venture that makes the BR715s etc? Now just known as Rolls Royce Deutschland.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 10:15 am
dnw

[quote]<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Globaliser:
Isn't that because Rolls Royce (the aero engine maker) bought out BMW's share of the BMW Rolls Royce venture that makes the BR715s etc? Now just known as Rolls Royce Deutschland.
</font>
Its a shame that it was so short lived. Would have been nice to see BMW returning to its routes... many people don't realise that the BMW badge actually symbolises a propeller!
Old Feb 6, 2004, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
Kovich, no it wasn't Millfield
whmere, no it wasn't Harrow
</font>
Thank heavens for that. Old boys from the former are manageable, from the latter reprehensible.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BahrainLad:
Thank heavens for that. Old boys from the former are manageable, from the latter reprehensible.</font>
What about old boys from Wellington?

NB. I thought I told you where I went to school that day we stood in a bush?

[This message has been edited by fbgdavidson (edited Feb 06, 2004).]
Old Feb 6, 2004, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
.....that day we stood in a bush?</font>
I believe "that sort of thing" used to take place at Charterhouse...........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.