Need immediate booking help!

Old Jan 27, 04, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum; UA Gold MM; IHG Spire Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Need immediate booking help!

Here's the deal. My wife and I (both US citizens) will be flying from SAT to LGW and back in March on AA for a vacation in Europe. In addition to London, we want to visit Amsterdam. Using the UK version of BA's website, I was able to price out a fare of 123.40 (approximately $225 USD) for two seats (123.40 total for both seats, not 123.40 per seat, to be clear) on the following flights:

Monday, 22 March 2004
BA #8113
LGW 08:55
AMS 11:20

Wednesday, 24 March 2004
BA #8114
AMS 12:00
LGW 12:10

[Note: we need to use BA #8114 on the return because we have a connection to AA #79 departing LGW that same day at 14:10 (2:10 pm) and we want a seamless transition and no airport hopping or protracted layover.]

The problem is that I cannot complete the booking without a UK credit card and address. Fair enough.

So I call BA's US reservations number and ask them to book the same flights, dates, etc. But they quote me a price of $304.40 USD for the same two seats on the same two flights. Even as BA's own website (the UK version) still shows availability for 123.40.

Apparently the US reservations people get different inventory than is available in the US. Whatever the reason, I don't want to pay almost $80 USD more than I should have to merely because I don't have a UK credit card and address.

So I need your help. Is there anyway to get BA's reservations people on this side of the Pond to match the fare available to those of you in the UK? The reservations agent I spoke to said no.

Alternatively, would any of you with a UK credit card and address be willing to complete the booking for me and my wife? I can mail you a check to cover the cost of the reservation immediately.

Please e-mail me at [deleted] if you can help! I really don't want to use easyJet because we'd be forced into a ridiculous five hour layover at LGW on the way back eating up our precious vacation time.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by SAT Lawyer; Jul 27, 06 at 12:28 am
Old Jan 27, 04, 5:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Have you tried using a booking engine like expedia or opodo.co.uk?
Otheriwse I have had success in the past entering a false address for the tickets in the UK, it still seems to accept my credit card.
Old Jan 27, 04, 5:21 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

If its absolutely necessary that you book your BA flights on BA.com I will have to defer to my learned friends in the US.

AA.com is an alternative - i would bet the fares for the BA flights come out a little cheaper too

Hope this helps
Old Jan 27, 04, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum; UA Gold MM; IHG Spire Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Another thought . . .

Is there a way for me to hold the reservation using the UK pricing (e.g. 123.40) and somehow pay for it here in the US using my US credit card? For example, could I have somebody call UK reservations (hopefully not me because the cost of the long distance phone call might very well eat up the savings) and hold a reservation for my wife and myself, then get the PNR/booking confirmation number and call US reservations to pay?
Old Jan 27, 04, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GregM:
AA.com is an alternative - i would bet the fares for the BA flights come out a little cheaper too.</font>
I did try AA.com, but they quoted me the dreaded $304 fare for the two tickets unfortunately.
Old Jan 27, 04, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BA Loyal:
Have you tried using a booking engine like expedia or opodo.co.uk?</font>
Thanks for the suggestion, but according to Opodo "with the exception of Amex, only payment cards issued in the UK can be accepted" and sadly I seem to have every other type of card but an American Express.
Old Jan 27, 04, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BA Loyal:
Have you tried using a booking engine like expedia or opodo.co.uk?</font>
Great news: I was able to complete the booking on expedia.co.uk! And I even saved 1.20 -- a considerable fortune given the way the dollar is getting hammered by the pound and the euro these days -- over the price quoted on ba.com.

Thanks for all your help, BA Loyal. You too, GregM. I really appreciate it.

Now if only BA would make it possible for us non-UK credit card holders to contribute revenue at its website, everything would be swell. Well, that, and also get rid of the 25% Executive Club penalty for booking discounted Traveler seats. We can only hope . . .

[This message has been edited by cAAl (edited Jan 27, 2004).]
Old Jan 27, 04, 5:49 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cAAl:
Another thought . . .

Is there a way for me to hold the reservation using the UK pricing (e.g. 123.40) and somehow pay for it here in the US using my US credit card? For example, could I have somebody call UK reservations (hopefully not me because the cost of the long distance phone call might very well eat up the savings) and hold a reservation for my wife and myself, then get the PNR/booking confirmation number and call US reservations to pay?
</font>
UK reservations line is closed for the day. Remember off line bookings are subject to a 15 surcharge per ticket
Old Jan 28, 04, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dang, another complication.

Having purchased the e-ticket through expedia.co.uk, I just got the following message from their customer service team:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Your flight tickets are awaiting issue however your given delivery address is not in the United Kingdom. As stated on the web site, it is an Expedia.co.uk policy to only dispatch tickets to UK delivery addresses,
therefore please provide a UK address by telephone on 0870 050 0808, selecting option 1 for sales, immediately. Please note that this requirement applies to both e-tickets and paper tickets.

If we have not heard from you within 24 hours, the reservation will be cancelled.
Furthermore, you should be aware that as neither your fare or seat is guaranteed until your ticket has been issued, any delay may result in an increase to the fare due to a seat no longer being available.

Thank you.
Expedia.co.uk Team</font>
Since this is an e-ticket, I have no idea why they need me to provide a UK address. But I don't want to risk cancellation of my ticket even if Expedia's policy doesn't make much sense. So I really need to "borrow" a friendly UK address so I can keep my reservation intact. If any of my fellow FlyerTalkers would be kind enough to loan me their address, I'd greatly appreciate it. Please e-mail me ([email protected]) if you can help.

Thanks again,
Chris

[This message has been edited by cAAl (edited Jan 28, 2004).]
Old Jan 28, 04, 11:34 am

Programs: Mucci Gold Class
Your email is coming back undelivered
Old Jan 28, 04, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by whmere:
Your email is coming back undelivered</font>
YGM.

Old Jan 28, 04, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold...Aah how nice! HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond,AA Yellow + Tesco
Did you get this sorted? You can give them my address if you want? They maybe send out a paper confirmation with all the E-Ticket details on it?

Rich
Old Jan 28, 04, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Aerotec:
Did you get this sorted? You can give them my address if you want? They maybe send out a paper confirmation with all the E-Ticket details on it?

Rich
</font>
Rich,

If you'd be kind enough to e-mail me your address, I'd be extremely grateful. I would e-mail you myself but you don't have an address listed in your profile.

Thanks,
Chris

Old Jan 28, 04, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Still looking for a friendly UK address. Expedia's UK telephone service closes at 10 pm GMT so the clock is ticking. I'd prefer to have a legitimate address, but if nobody can help, I guess I'll invent one.

Old Jan 28, 04, 5:24 pm

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
Have you tried www.expedia.com or www.travelocity.com ?

Both are the US equivalents of their .co.uk stablemates so you should be able to make a booking with a US card.

Search this Thread