Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage run?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2004, 10:49 am

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Plat, PC Plat, TAP Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Aerotec:
So would hops around the Highland airports (or beaches!) earn you 20 EC Points at £32 return (plus tax I take it?)!!</font>

40 points for a £32 return isn't it?

Must be the best return of any route on the oneworld network.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by oyster:

</font>
shoot I should have gone island hopping in November or perhaps this November.

Is there a way of getting there using BA? ie. flying LHR-EDI-SYY or something like that? via Inverness perhaps?
Old Jan 29, 2004, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
shoot I should have gone island hopping in November or perhaps this November.

Is there a way of getting there using BA? ie. flying LHR-EDI-SYY or something like that? via Inverness perhaps?
</font>
I have a couple of spare weekends in April/May and could seriously go for this. Does anyone with too much time on their hands fancy working out the ultimate point-earning w/e; starting from LHR (very) early Saturday and returning there late Sunday. One would overnight in Orkney, I guess? Could be fun as well as rewarding.

Would be very interested to hear what it looks like and what it would cost. Any timetable/fares wizard fancy the challenge?
Old Jan 29, 2004, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Gold 20y (89-09)

I have a free day at LHR in July and would love to undertake a day of flightseeing in the Highlands & Islands as I havn't been north of St. Andrew's.

Is a day trip possible?

Cheers,
TLA
Old Jan 29, 2004, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by The Lone Arranger:

I have a free day at LHR in July and would love to undertake a day of flightseeing in the Highlands & Islands as I havn't been north of St. Andrew's.

Is a day trip possible?

Cheers,
TLA
</font>
Yes and no. Bored at work, so I had a play. I had a look at whether you could go to Kirkwall and onto a smaller island. The fare LHR to Kirkwall was about £300! Additionally the flight from Aberdeen does seem to arrive after all the puddle-jump flights have gone out to the outer isles, so that one is probably out.

Well what about the Western Isles? You could do LHR-GLA-Stornoway on a day trip. You'd arrive 1010 at Stornoway, depart late afternoon, fare is currently £140. Unfortunately, unless anyone has any further info, Stornoway does seem to be a dead end - I amn't aware of any onward flights from here.

Another option would be to do LHR-GLA-Benbecula-Barra. But you couldn't do this on a single day, as the flight times are all wrong - you'd almost certainly have to overnight on Barra. LHR-Benbecula is £181.

If I stay bored, I may go for the weekend, but BA website is rubbish for this!
Old Jan 29, 2004, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jenbel:
If I stay bored, I may go for the weekend, but BA website is rubbish for this!</font>
This is when you miss the printed timetable!
Please do stay bored....
Old Jan 29, 2004, 5:15 pm

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by oyster:

</font>
Kirkwall (KOI) - Papa WEstray (PPW) is 10 GBP (rt) + 5 GBP taxes/fees in "B" class !
And Papa Westray - Westray (WRY) costs the same in "B" !

try to book on BA´s webpage
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...amp=0130121652
see the following webpage

http://www.hial.co.uk/kirkwall-airport.html

Services to island airstrips include the Westray to Papa Westray route which, with a flying time of less than two minutes, is the shortest scheduled air service in the world.

[This message has been edited by bertheike (edited Jan 29, 2004).]
Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:43 am
dnw

I am totally ignorant as to the difference and location of all the islands , however someone that isn't could perhaps see if this is a spanner in the works:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">It has now been agreed that the Orkney and Shetland internal flights operated by Loganair will be excluded from the British Airways franchise agreement, with effect from 1 February 2004.

These flights which are operated by the 8 seater BN Islander aircraft will however continue to be operated by Loganair in their own right.
The aircraft therefore will be painted into Loganair livery and will use a LOG flight prefix.

Loganair are currently developing a reservation systems for these flights. Existing bookings made by British Airways for travel on these services from 1 February 2004 will be transferred to the Loganair system.

If you have an existing booking on this service on or after 1 February 2004, or you would like to make a booking please contact Loganair reservations on 0845 77 333 77.</font>
Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:51 am

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
Try BHX-MAD, BCN, FCO, CDG, DUS or FRA - all priced at about £200.

They will keep me at Silver this year.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 5:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dnw:
I am totally ignorant as to the difference and location of all the islands , however someone that isn't could perhaps see if this is a spanner in the works:

It has now been agreed that the Orkney and Shetland internal flights operated by Loganair will be excluded from the British Airways franchise agreement, with effect from 1 February 2004.

These flights which are operated by the 8 seater BN Islander aircraft will however continue to be operated by Loganair in their own right.
The aircraft therefore will be painted into Loganair livery and will use a LOG flight prefix.

Loganair are currently developing a reservation systems for these flights. Existing bookings made by British Airways for travel on these services from 1 February 2004 will be transferred to the Loganair system.

If you have an existing booking on this service on or after 1 February 2004, or you would like to make a booking please contact Loganair reservations on 0845 77 333 77.</font>
oh bugger (to use the BA board technical expression of disgust), had just worked out a neat itinerary up there too (I think 120 tier points for £279ish, but my maths could be a bit skewed!).
Old Jan 30, 2004, 6:15 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
The family is out of town, and all you can find to do is to go on a mileage run. Boy, you have such imagination. In my day we used to far far more fun things.

Shame that I did not see this earlier

LGW-OPO was £200 return (gone now).

Dear Mr Eddington, Please bring I fare promotions back, and I promise that I will not throw those stupid feedback forms (that the pax think will win them a flight just for being rude about the CSD) down the gash.

Promise.

[This message has been edited by PUCCI GALORE (edited Jan 30, 2004).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.