Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flights originating outside country of origin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2004, 3:11 am
sam
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Gold; BA Silver; Virgin Australia Platinum; Virgin Atlantic Gold

I am temporarily living in Spain so I was booking some flights back to the UK. I did my research on the BA website as it is often the best place to find cheap fares. I think that there booking engine design is second to none.

Imagine how annoyed I was when I found out I could not complete my booking because I didn't have a Spanish credit card. I booked it with Opodo and was charged Ł10 extra. I've just contacted Opodo and, adding insult to injury, they tell me that the Ł10 charge is levied by BA for flights originating outside the UK!
Old Jan 29, 2004, 3:14 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sam:
I think that there booking engine design is second to none.

</font>

Wow, most of us think it is cr@p! When it comes to doing anything but a standard RT you are screwed. Like you say booking outside of country of origin is a no no. Also combining discounted WT+ tickets with domestic sctors doesn't give the best prices.

If you do a search on this forum you will see that many people complain about it. The normal answer tends to be book BA tickets on AA.com

[This message has been edited by CT-UK (edited Jan 29, 2004).]
Old Jan 29, 2004, 3:28 am
dnw

This comes up a lot, especially for UK people trying to book cheapo ex-EU deals online.

FWIW salvation may be on the horizon... AskBA answer ID 1916 5th/Dec/03

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">At the present time, ba.com can only accept credit cards which are issued and billed from the country of your departure.
Please note that we are currently working towards expanding this capability.</font>
Old Jan 29, 2004, 3:31 am
dnw

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CT-UK:

Wow, must of us think it is cr@p!
</font>
I agree that it's crap for anything complicated, but for picking the lowest fare over a spead of days without having to try and price 10,000 flight combinations it is fantastic!

I know, I know... whats a 'lowest fare'?!

[This message has been edited by dnw (edited Jan 29, 2004).]
Old Jan 29, 2004, 4:58 am

If you do a search from say LHR to your destination in the class you choose,say WT+, note the price, then do same search from your departure airport, say, MAN, the prices are extortionate.

Try MAN to SYD in WT+.... then compare it to LHR to SYD
Last time I tried it the difference was enormous.
How wrong can that be????
Old Jan 29, 2004, 10:07 am
sam
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Gold; BA Silver; Virgin Australia Platinum; Virgin Atlantic Gold
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CT-UK:
[B]
Wow, most of us think it is cr@p!

Just had a look at the AA website. Although I put in a preference for evening travel it only returned morning flights. The BA website shows me every flight going that day. I stand by what I said about the BA engine. I think it is very good for finding the best price on short haul trips. It positions BA very well when competing with the likes of Easyjet. I guess that is probably their objective. It obviously doesn't meet everyone's requirements.

I will now start checking AA.com though. They don't seem to have pointless restrictions on country of origin.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sam:
Imagine how annoyed I was when I found out I could not complete my booking because I didn't have a Spanish credit card.</font>
I think that perhaps you could have held the reservation on line, and then called the BA reservations line in Spain to pay for it. I recently made a booking on ba.com for domestic travel in South Africa on BA(Comair). I couldn't pay for it on line, but I held the reservation and then called the local reservations number for SA. They had no problem taking my US credit card for the e-ticket, and this enabled me to get a dirt-cheap fare that only applies to tix "issued" in SA.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
This "rule" seems to vary by country. I recently bought an ex BKK ticket from UK telesales with no problem (apart from lack of shareholder discount).

Similarly I have bought comair flights in the past via BA UK telesales too.

On these occasions the UK fare quited was identical to the sterling value of the fare issued in local currency (at a very good exchange rate). If this happens more generally, I don't see why anyone would call reservation in the country of origin unless it was a restricted special e.g. ex LIS.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Forgot to add, that obviously spain telesales take UK credit cards, since I am calling the spain/portugal telesales team for ex LIS fares and using my UK card with no problem.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Land-of-Miles:
On these occasions the UK fare quited was identical to the sterling value of the fare issued in local currency (at a very good exchange rate). If this happens more generally, I don't see why anyone would call reservation in the country of origin unless it was a restricted special e.g. ex LIS.</font>
When I made the above-mentioned Comair booking, I tried calling BA reservations in the US to pay. They would have been happy to ticket me, but only in a much (i.e. 4x) higher fare class. Comair definitely has some fares that can only be ticketed in SA and at least in my case, that required a call to the local reservations number there.

Anyway, the bottom line for purposes of this thread is that people shouldn't assume that just because the website won't take their credit cards they can't get the fare from BA.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 8:25 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
An article in the Wall Street Journal today (Thursday) mentioned some independent review of travel related web sites.

BA was singled out as a travel web site that did not understand the global reach of the internet ... by requiring that you use a credit card issued in and with a mailing address in the country of your trip's origination. When asked a BA spokesman made some comment to the effect that he thought it was a measure to prevent credit card fraud. (I'm paraphrasing as I don't have the paper in front of me at the moment.)

At least I thought it was good to see this issue being brought to BA's attention publicly...
Old Jan 30, 2004, 12:15 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ready2Go:
I think that perhaps you could have held the reservation on line, and then called the BA reservations line in Spain to pay for it. I recently made a booking on ba.com for domestic travel in South Africa on BA(Comair). I couldn't pay for it on line, but I held the reservation and then called the local reservations number for SA. They had no problem taking my US credit card for the e-ticket, and this enabled me to get a dirt-cheap fare that only applies to tix "issued" in SA. </font>
I concur. I've done this in Russia, Israel, Germany, Spain, France, Greece and Portugal with no difficulties. ba.com even gives you the number to call.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Short term, the same technological revolution that has brought us the Internet has also brought us dirt cheap international calls.

Long term, though, the Internet and other forms of easy international communications must be increasingly chipping away at the rationale for fares that have geographical sales restrictions.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:47 am
dnw

Isn't this exactly what the current EU probe is about? Not about the fare differences themsevles, but about the fact that if you want BA in the UK to ticket you, for example, an ex-LIS ticket they will charge you 4x what BA in PT would charge for the identical itinerary...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.