Forgive the Newbie Question

Old Jan 27, 04, 3:04 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Oceanside, NY USA
Posts: 1,128
Forgive the Newbie Question

I am considering purchasing a return UK-Germany ticket, but I only need to use the portion into Germany. The return airfare is substantially lower then one-way. What will happen if I do not show up for the return portion of the itinerary? Do I get a credit for the unused portion, or will German police suspect I'm in the country illegally. Worse yet, would I show up on a TSA list somewhere?
glenngpr is offline  
Old Jan 27, 04, 3:40 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 7,422
Answers in CAPITAL LETTERS BELOW

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by glenngpr:
I am considering purchasing a return UK-Germany ticket, but I only need to use the portion into Germany. The return airfare is substantially lower then one-way. What will happen if I do not show up for the return portion of the itinerary?

NOTHING

Do I get a credit for the unused portion,

NO

or will German police suspect I'm in the country illegally.

NO, HOWEVER YOU HAVE TO REGISTER IN GERMANY **)

Worse yet, would I show up on a TSA list somewhere?

NO
</font>
**) After 3 days. It is called Meldepflicht, Anmeldung des Wohnsitzes.
USAFAN is offline  
Old Jan 27, 04, 4:11 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Eurozone
Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Posts: 2,825
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by USAFAN:

**) After 3 days. It is called Meldepflicht, Anmeldung des Wohnsitzes.
</font>
OT: If you're in Germany on a tourist visa and staying in-country less than 90 days, no registration with any authorities is necessary.

--Grog--
Grog is offline  
Old Jan 27, 04, 5:22 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 7,422
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Grog:
OT: If you're in Germany on a tourist visa and staying in-country less than 90 days, no registration with any authorities is necessary.

--Grog--
</font>
Thanks Grog:
I was not aware of this regulation ...
The only thing I knew was ... the Americans are making jokes about the "Deutsche Meldepflicht".

Grog, what is, if a French (or other Euro-)citizen comes to Germany? They don't have a tourist visa ... Do they have to register?
USAFAN is offline  
Old Jan 27, 04, 5:29 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Eurozone
Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Posts: 2,825
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by USAFAN:
Thanks Grog:
I was not aware of this regulation ...
The only thing I knew was ... the Americans are making jokes about the "Deutsche Meldepflicht".

Grog, what is, if a French (or other Euro-)citizen comes to Germany? They don't have a tourist visa ... Do they have to register?
</font>
Hmmm...well. Most European citizens don't require a visa to Germany at all. If they are only going to Germany to visit, then no registration is needed either, but if they are to reside there, I'm quite sure they would need to register at the local town hall (just as even Germans have to register themselves in Germany).

--Grog--

[This message has been edited by Grog (edited Jan 27, 2004).]
Grog is offline  
Old Jan 27, 04, 5:51 pm
  #6  
dnw
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 5,247
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Grog:
Most European citizens don't require a visa to Germany at all.</font>
Quite clever this EU thing!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist
dnw is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread