Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways plans to improve its business class cabin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways plans to improve its business class cabin

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2004, 9:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">fbgdavidson:
I think VS can pull of the Limo service because it only flys the select routes. BA would struggle to keep on top if all CW passengers were brought to LHR by limo. Perhaps only for full fare???</font>
I'm not convinced about the Virgin limo service at LHR, to be honest. I've flown UC on Virgin a few times and I skip the limo into London as it's usually a nightmare. HEX and a taxi is faster and much less hassle than sitting parked in a queue of traffic 400 yards from the T3 parking garage exit. It's more useful in the US, but still not enough to be a deal-maker.

For NCW, I'd rather BA actually spent some time on the IFE tho'. Starting with upgrading the system so that it runs on, at the very least, a rack of digital video. I've lost count of the number of movies I've started watching only to have to abandon it halfway thu' because the tape's falling apart. These days, I'm usually carrying a couple of DVDs and watch 'em on my laptop instead. However, that only works when I'm travelling solo and not with The Boss.

As for extras, whatever happened to the Boeing Connexion internet trials on the NYC-&gt;LHR routes? Anyone use it? Getting internet connectivity on longer routes like the SFO-&gt;LHR would be a definite plus for the NCW cabin, I would have thought.

Scott...

Old Jan 14, 2004, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by edi-traveller:
we haven't got rid of the cradle seats yet.

[This message has been edited by edi-traveller (edited Jan 14, 2004).]
</font>

And no prospect of getting rid of it on BMed flights to Central Asia, unless someone makes my day by knowing different?
Old Jan 14, 2004, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by edi-traveller:
Fraser You quite rightly did detect sarcasm above....but whilst it is the lowest form of wit...for us Brits I always thought it was often the funniest form of wit!! </font>
Indeed surely this is the 'bent British humour' that my girlfriends Mum refers to

PS. Why don't we export Alan Partridge to the US? They seem to have every other British programme on BBC America including ITV stuff but no Partridge . If the American market can understand 'The Office' then I am sure Alan Partridge wouldn't get lost in translation
Old Jan 14, 2004, 9:55 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by smackie:
As for extras, whatever happened to the Boeing Connexion internet trials on the NYC-&gt;LHR routes? Anyone use it?</font>
I did, briefly - it was on one of my overnight flights and I only used it for a short while before dinner to give it a try. It worked great, and I'd love for it to be standard. But the trial was this time last year, and since I've heard nothing more, I assume it wasn't heavily enough used to warrant the investment.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 10:26 am
dnw

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Land-of-Miles:
Whilst a big uptake of a "sleeper" service would probably save some money, it isnt a bad idea providing it isn't enforced upon all (not a strongpoint of BA's I fear).</font>
But thats the problem... it IS enforced on all, at least in these trials. And with future-size-and-shape-episodeIII about to come out, I doubt very much that a decision to implement would be any different...
Old Jan 14, 2004, 1:08 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Good for those who want to sleep on planes!

I think the old LH C is really bad, BA is already miles ahead, so no need for further improvements...
Old Jan 14, 2004, 2:04 pm
dnw

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flamboyant 1:
Good for those who want to sleep on planes!</font>
Absolutely, but what about those that don't/can't or simply want to enjoy all the advertised features of the service they've paid Łx,000 for first?

I think that if what we were seeing was a true enhancement it would be akin to Continental's Business First offering- where you can enjoy the full scheduled meal service or ask for the 'Executive' option at any time which is basically a single tray, quick to prepare with everything on it, so that you can scoff it all quickly and then sleep.

This is not what is being proposed.

[This message has been edited by dnw (edited Jan 14, 2004).]
Old Jan 14, 2004, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It all comes down to choice and flexibility. If you've pad those multiple 000's for a J ticket I would like to be able to do what I want, when I want be that drink, eat, sleep or pull a muscle laughing at the office on the AVOD system.

NCW has enabled me to sleep well on plane and I have few complaints about the drinks cart.

The 2 areas that need attention are catering (dnw's CO comparison is an interesting one) and the IFE is really quite poor in comparison to the leading edge. Both need re-developing to deliver that choice and flexibility.

Old Jan 14, 2004, 5:36 pm

This new service would work for me. I don't eat or drink that much on planes, and the extra sleep is what I want in NCW, especially if I have to do any work after landing. On my last trip, the crew served dinner pretty quickly after takeoff, and it was lights out after about 1-1/2 hours. Some enhancements to the IFE entertainment might be in order, but at some point that can become like the Bruce Springsteen song---500 channels and nothing is on.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 5:46 pm
dnw

So what really WOULD enhance Club World, especially if F is dropped...? multi-million pound cabin refits are not on the cards, but a few little things could add up to make a difference:

-Improved catering
-connexion on all ships
-AVOD & noise cancelling 'phones
-Improved seat padding (like the F makeover- wouldnt require a major refit)
-Better blankets and pillows

That would hit just the right spot with me, as a customer and a shareholder!
Old Jan 14, 2004, 5:57 pm

As above, but:
- Little duvet (VS style) instead of blanket would be dreamy (literally)
- sleeper suits would be good (ok, maybe I am pushing it here!)
- wider choice of drinks at take-off.

I think some red-eye routes handle allowing passengers to sleep better than others...

My experience of LAX-LHR tends to be good: lights stay very low after take off, meal service served quickly and cleared quickly...

My experience of DEN/LHR (or, formerly, LGW) tends to be very bad: lights sometimes full on after take off, meal service and clear away taking about 3 HOURS (!) after take-off. Since this is a short flight, its a real pain.

Would like - as others have said - to see an quick meal offered on all red-eyes: so, if you choose (or have no choice through getting to the airport late) you can just eat quickly then sleep.

Think that BAs sleeper service is a good idea, providing it is not compulsory - otherwise some passengers may well vote with their feet...

Hope that BA stays competitive and even gets a bit leading edge

Boo
Old Jan 15, 2004, 3:56 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
With carriers such as Emirates upgrading its F cabin and many others introducing flat beds in J anf F, BA should be taking a serious look at differentiating its premium cabins, to stay ahead of the game. I'm the first one to want a bit of shuteye on flights, but these catering 'enhancements' are just some cost-cutting bo**ocks conjured up by the marketing department.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.