Wiki Posts
Search

T1 or T4 Lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2004, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

T1 or T4 Lounge?

hello all

i will be flying into LHR for the first time on tuesday morning 6am in J. I am arriving from YYZ and then connecting to NRT. I will be arriving T4 and then leaving T1.

My question is: which lounge should I go to? My better half and I will be travelling together and are very much looking forward to the spa treatment. Is the MB spa open in T1 yet?

kind regards
Old Jan 11, 2004, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I believe someone posted earlier on in the week to say it is in fact open
Old Jan 11, 2004, 6:27 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I was in T1 yesterday (Jan 10 morning) and the F lounge and MB spa were closed. Apparently the hours are much more limited than at T4. I didn't see the lounges but the Terraces agent described them as not as nice as T4 and suggested that T4 would be a better choice on future trips. I don't think we've had any first-hand reports from someone who has actually used the new T1 lounges rather than just seen them. Given the limited hours of operation that isn't too surprising. I'd advise trying to go to T4 and only use T1 if security prevents you from getting to T4 departures (technically you can only go airside in the terminal from which you are departing, arrivals do not count). Of course you can also access the T4 arrivals lounge but that requires clearing customs at T4 (and using HEX to get to T1).
Old Jan 11, 2004, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

sorry - i'm a bit confused

is there a different lounge for arrivals and departures? what's HEX?

regards
Old Jan 11, 2004, 7:03 pm
ALW

There's an Arrivals lounge landside (after immigration and customs) at T4, it has showers and a hot breakfast in the morning. I think it also has limited spa facilities.

I think if you arrive at T4, then take the route to "Flight Connections" and stay in T4, you'll have to go through a dedicated security but no one will check your outbound BP. So that would be a way to get to the T4 lounges (and the spa). Once you go landside, e.g. to the Arrivals Lounge, I don't think you'll get back into T4 airside with T1 BPs.

[Or could one clear security at T1 then do an airside transfer to T4? I don't remember anyone checking our BPs when we did the T4-T4 sterile transfer, but it was <5am so maybe they did]

andrew
Old Jan 11, 2004, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
HEX is the Heathrow Express.

An overland train service (well apart from around LHR) that connects London Paddington station with Heathrow. You can get the train from T4 to T1 if you need to transfer
Old Jan 11, 2004, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

i looked at the hex website...do you have to pay to connect?
Old Jan 11, 2004, 8:14 pm
Suspended

No, HEX is free between the terminals (though I think you cannot use the FIRST Class carriage, though suppose its worth a try, adds to the upgr#de fever!).

Should take five minutes, they depart every 15 mins or so, and look out for the TVs and BBC News shows onboard.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 8:38 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by apudme:
Should take five minutes, they depart every 15 mins or so, and look out for the TVs and BBC News shows onboard.</font>
TVs... does this mean that we should look out for the transvestites??
Old Jan 12, 2004, 12:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

" I think you cannot use the FIRST Class carriage, though suppose its worth a try, "

It isn't really worth a try. You can only use the inter terminal free service in std class. if you go to the 1st carriage they will turf you out before departure or ask you to pay the £23 fare

Dave
Old Jan 12, 2004, 4:47 am

Does anyone have link to some place where BA actually commits itself to some hours of operations for any lounges? A simple updated list of lounges and their opening hours would be nice
Old Jan 12, 2004, 8:40 am
ALW

I have no pointers online, but when we arrived last week, the signs said 5:30am opening for both the collection of lounges (Pavilion?) by gate 10 and for the Terraces lounge by gate 1. Agents at the BA information kiosk had already told us that (and were right), they thought Arrivals opened about 4:30am. We were told at Arrivals (on our way eastbound) that they close at 4pm.

So in summary, I contribute:

-T4 lounges at gates 1 and 10, 5:30am-???
-T4 Arrivals Lounge, ?4:30am-4:00pm

andrew

[This message has been edited by Andrew Webber (edited Jan 12, 2004).]
Old Jan 12, 2004, 9:20 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by number_6:
I was in T1 yesterday (Jan 10 morning) and the F lounge and MB spa were closed. Apparently the hours are much more limited than at T4. </font>
Does anyone know what the precise hours are?

Old Jan 13, 2004, 1:50 pm

I am not too sure if someone has mentioned it on this thread, but Customs & Excise explicitly require lounge operators to admit only passengers that are LEAVING from the same terminal. So it seems as if your only choice would be the T 1 lounge (and the arrivals lounge in T 4 of course). But however law-abiding you may be, T 4 departures lounge may still be worth a try - if it is worth it is another matter though... ;-)
Old Jan 13, 2004, 2:25 pm
ALW

Are there other lounges than BA's in T4? I don't remember any, but then I wasn't looking for them just making a beeline (bealine) to the Concorde Room.

I ask because I was surprised to see Priority Pass advertises member lounges in all four terminals.

Thanks!
andrew

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.