Companion Vouchers

Old Dec 30, 2003, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, BA Blue
Companion Vouchers

For our honeymoon we are going to be in the back of the bus as we only have enough miles for WT.
We would have enough miles for Club if we had a companion voucher from Amex and wondered if these vouchers are named for the cardholder and if not are they ever traded on FT.

Thanks

Alan and Louise
Old Dec 30, 2003, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Sorry, specifically named (and checked).

However, you might try to get the reservations agent to make a note in the booking. You never know, they may be favourably disposed towards an op up on the day ... or you may end up with an announcement congratulating you and having to bear the stares for the rest of the flight .

Good luck, anyway.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 7:11 am

A tip from a check-in friend of mine is get the Mrs to bring her passport in her maiden name with a copy of the marriage certificate, rather than a passport in her married name.

This way the check-in agent knows it is your honeymoon for a good reason, you stand a better chance of an upgrade and don't have to ask for it!

Also choose a young female check-in agent, if they are marrying age (terribly un-PC I know) they are much more swoony about such things.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 7:22 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Merry:
Also choose a young female check-in agent, if they are marrying age (terribly un-PC I know) they are much more swoony about such things.</font>
Ooooh - I don't know about this! You might pick one who's twisted & bitter about the fact that she's still on the shelf, and that all the honeymooners have done is create a little bit of extra space for her...

Old Dec 30, 2003, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Whatever happens buy yourselves a bottle of Krug to drink on the plane even if you don't get op'd.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Why don't you buy WT or WT+ tickets and then use miles to upgrade to the next cabin? Then you'll be sure you've got the upgrade (and you won't annoy the frequent flyers behind you who hear you asking for a honeymoon upgrade)?
Old Dec 30, 2003, 1:49 pm

Your chances of an op-up may also depend on your destination. For obvious reasons, there is less chance on a flight that is full of honeymooners, than on a flight with a mixture of leisure and business travellers.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. We get married on the 28th Feb and plan to travel on the 29th or 1st March. We have 2 seats held to Mauritius on miles but we are trying to get seats to the Maldives instead. The flights to DXB are wide open in WT and WT+ but are tight on the EDI connection and more so the Emirates flight to MLE.

I have just been on the phone to Exec Club and as the Emirates reservations are not open again to Jan 2nd i have to call back then and EC will ask EK to free up a couple of seats for award redemption.

Fingers crossed as Louise would like to go to the Maldives Hilton instead of the Mauritius Hilton!(Both held on Diamond redemption).

Have a great New Year and hope some of you can make the EDI FT meet on Jan 9th ( Hilton Grosvenor available at £39)

Cheers

Alan
Old Dec 31, 2003, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Haven't experienced the Maldives Hilton, but the Mauritius Hilton is quite nice.

Stayed there in November (also an award reservation made earlier in the year while I was still a Hilton Diamond as I think award availability is very limited otherwise).

Met another HH diamond couple while staying there, and we all agreed that the Mauritius Hilton was better than we expected for being a Hilton.

I don't think you'd be too disappointed if you end up there ... although I would expect it to be quite a long flight sitting in the back of the plane.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
The Maldives Hilton is just Dreamy with a capital D ! Absolutely perfect for a honeymoon. Hope you get your reservation there. You will not regret your choice for a second.

(I flew with EK when they allowed smoking. Do they still? Anyone know?)
Old Jan 2, 2004, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Called BAEC today and no luck wth Emirates DXB to MLE.

New plan is 1 Ticket EDI-LHR-DXB 80K rtn in Club using BA Miles and 1 Ticket EDI-LHR-DXB 60K rtn in Club using AAdvantage.

2 tickets DXB to MLE using Sri Lankan/Emirates code-share is £259 inc Tax PP.
Old Jan 4, 2004, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Any idea of the op-up chances on the LHR to DXB Route?

Louise said i should book the 60k Club award with AAdvantage and she should book the BA award in WT and hope for an op-up for being on honeymoon!! and save 40,000 miles in the process.
Old Jan 5, 2004, 5:38 am
dnw

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Wudy15:
Louise said i should book the 60k Club award with AAdvantage and she should book the BA award in WT and hope for an op-up for being on honeymoon!! and save 40,000 miles in the process.</font>
Remember this is BA, not a US airline. It has been mentioned by staff contributing to this forum that its the oldest & most tiresome excuse in the book... if you want to sit together in Club, pay for it.

Old Jan 5, 2004, 11:18 am

I agree with dmw... especially since your honeymoon should be a fantastic holiday (if you take the gamble, you could end up sitting apaprt and in seperate cabins - not hugely romantic... ).

I would also try to find cheap WT+ fares and upgrade with miles - tends to be the best use of miles.

Still, Dubai seems a short flight to use so many miles on... But if the Maldives is where you have set your heart on then, if I were you, I would do as much as possible to make it special. But, at the end of the day, its your honeymoon.

Hope that you have a fantastic wedding and honeymoon - The Indian Ocean douns fantastic (haven't been there yet - although I hear Mauritious calling....)

Boo
(whose honeymoon flight was on Britannia Airlines to the Dominican Republic about 6 years ago - eeeekkk!)
(who would probably now rather walk than fly Britannia longhaul.... too tight even for little poeple like me!)
Old Jan 7, 2004, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the Pay and Upgrade tip. I tried LHR to DXB and it was £618 inc Tax + 20,000 miles.

I tried to put it from EDI but i jumped up to £760 + 20K.

Would i get my shareholder discount on the paid part of a booking?

I would probably keep the one ticket booked through AAdvantage as 60k is not too bad for Club.

Alan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.