Wiki Posts
Search

MFU question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2004, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
MFU question

I have a MFU question. I want to upgrade WTP to Club for a forthcoming flight (not booked yet), LHR-SFO-LHR.

There is no availability on the way out, but there is on the way back. I could change my flight dates, but this would take two days out of my vacation.

If I would be happy to take WTP out and Club back, is there any way of doing a one way MFU? Or, doing a both ways MFU but only actually getting the upgrade on the way back (as there is no availability on the way out)?

Many thanks
PhilH
Old Jan 9, 2004, 4:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">PhilH:
If I would be happy to take WTP out and Club back, is there any way of doing a one way MFU? Or, doing a both ways MFU but only actually getting the upgrade on the way back (as there is no availability on the way out)?</font>
I think BA now offer one-way upgrades using miles. I spent ages on the phone with EC a couple of days ago trying to sort out upgrades for family and one of the options that was mooted was upgrading them for just one of the legs (and using half the number of miles required for the RT).

This is something that you'll probably need to do by phone tho'. I'd call up, explain the situation and ask. But I think it's probably feasible now to upgrade just one way on a RT ticket...

Scott...
Old Jan 9, 2004, 5:45 am
dnw

One way upgrades can only be applied to one way tickets. Sorry.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 8:28 pm

You can use MFU to upgrade to Club on the outbound flight and Traveller Plus on the return. The fares however have to be combinable.

You cannot mix a W1US fare and a NLXAPUS. They are not combinable.

You can do this however:

O/B Flight - TLXAPUS fare + 12,500 miles to Club.
I/B Flight - HLWAPUS fare + 12,500 miles to Traveller Plus.

If you broke them up and did one-ways:

O/B Flight - T2 fare + 12,500 miles to Club.
I/B Flight - B2 fare + 12,500 miles to Traveller Plus.

... The T2/B2 fare would make the ticket fully refundable/date changes FOC, but you would end up paying much more.

It's better to book it all on one reservation and get a cheap roundtrip APEX fare.

If your going to try to do this, call RES. It will be much quicker than trying to do this online (which I'm not sure you can even do this online).

[This message has been edited by BRITISH AIRWAYS USA (edited Jan 09, 2004).]
Old Jan 10, 2004, 9:14 am
dnw

Ooh very clever, a combined class upgrade on a combined ticket...

Of course, the most difficult part will be finding an agent as clued-up as British Airways USA to book it for you!
Old Jan 10, 2004, 11:13 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dnw:
Of course, the most difficult part will be finding an agent as clued-up as British Airways USA to book it for you! </font>
That's going to be the hard part. It took the person I was trying to book my open-jaw MFU ticket over half an hour to do - she was totally useless. "I've never done this before" she said. Apparently they've recently moved the Exec Club booking people around or something?

On a related note, I went into my local BA Travel Shop (Baker Street) to pay for the MFU ticket and apparently they couldn't. The very helpful lady there said that they have no access to people's mileage balances so they can't take that part of the payment so she put me on to the phone and I did it like that instead. Apparently they did use to be able to do it when it was AirMiles, but never with BA Miles.

I think it's another case of left hand not meeting right hand.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 12:02 pm
dnw

"Hi, I'd like to book an open-jaw departing LHR arriving JFK in T-class then returning MIA to LHR in H-class, apply my 10% shareholders discount to the resultant fare, then upgrade the outbound to J class and the return to W with 25,000 miles"

"&lt;click&gt;"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.