OLCI - a further question

Old Jan 7, 04, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue.
OLCI - a further question

I will be flying from EDI to MIA laster this month - if you use OLCI 24 hours before the Edinburgh - LHR section - will it let you check in for the Miami flight as well - even although when using OLCI - it will not be leaving for another 27 hours.

Secondly - I have looked at checkmytrip.com - and it shows the "cattle class" cabin as being quite full - will I only be able to select seats which it currently shows as being empty (all the "good" ones are taken) - or will I be able to snag one of the "good" seats.

Thanks
Old Jan 7, 04, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
As long as the flights are ticketed on the same itinerary, you'll be able to check in both segments at the 24 hour window for the first segment.

BA holds back a lot of seats from pre-allocation, so even though it might look full, OLCI should offer some fresh choices.
Old Jan 7, 04, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
To your second question, you will probably find that if checkmytrip.com still shows a seat map for economy, then fewer than 30% of seats have been pre-allocated. (Once the pre-allocation limit has been reached, you usually can't access the seat map any more.) If you OLCI when there is access to the entire cabin (which seems not always to be given at -24h) you should find a very good choice.
Old Jan 8, 04, 5:18 am
Original Poster

I was going to try and be cheeky and check the current mrs blawson into the aisle seat and myself into the window - and hope they don't put anyone between us (if they do - offer them the window) - can you do this using olci - since we booked the ticket in one txn - will it only let us both check in at the same time? Anyone ever tried the above - if so - which how much success.
Old Jan 8, 04, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by blawson:
I was going to try and be cheeky and check the current mrs blawson into the aisle seat and myself into the window - and hope they don't put anyone between us (if they do - offer them the window) - can you do this using olci - since we booked the ticket in one txn - will it only let us both check in at the same time? Anyone ever tried the above - if so - which how much success.</font>
Unfortunately unlike the self service check in machines at the airports you can't check in other people on the same booking unless they have their own EC accounts or BA Internet profile.

You have to check yourself in, log out and then log in as the other person and then check them in.

Other than that hassle you could easily do what you say.

You could also put yourself at the front of the economy section and the mrs at the back if you wanted..........

Old Jan 8, 04, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Why not register the Mrs with the BA website, instead of having a Executive Club number you'd have a username and password.

Did this for my girlfriend who is yet to travel on BA in anything other than discount Y. Worked fine except you can only OLCI 12hrs before departure as opposed to 24hr
Old Jan 8, 04, 6:53 am
Original Poster

The Mrs has her own exec card number - but when I go into my booking on the BA website - her name appears as an additional passenger - (as does mine if I go into hers) - but I understand from edi_traveller - that I will still have to check in both of us - so I should be okay to try my "trick".
Old Jan 8, 04, 7:11 am

Before an outbound flight from the UK, I normally OLCI from work the day before. I normally procure a colleague's desk, nearby, so that I can check both my husband and myself in at the same time.

Don't know whether I am just being over-cautious about other people checking in at the same time and messing up my plans....

Boo
Old Jan 8, 04, 7:22 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Boo Boo Too:
Before an outbound flight from the UK, I normally OLCI from work the day before. I normally procure a colleague's desk, nearby, so that I can check both my husband and myself in at the same time.

Don't know whether I am just being over-cautious about other people checking in at the same time and messing up my plans....

Boo
</font>
I hope that your colleague takes long lunch hours. the last time that I tried this caper it took over an hour to do both.

Old Jan 8, 04, 7:30 am

No, last time I used OLCI in the UK, it took me about 10 minutes to do both of them (one on my PC, the other on my colleagues PC) - this included much pondering about seat choice and switching between desks.

(that was on Nov 24th).

Had slight problems using OLCI on the way back. At first OLCI wasn't available (this was several hours within the 24 hour window), but then it was fine - again pretty quick to use (although checked in one at a time).

I may have been very lucky (although my Internet connections are good...) - I have read, on this forum, about a lot of people having problems.

Next BA flight is on 20th Feb (LHR-DEN) - so will see what happens then

Boo

Search this Thread