Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New web access to fare bucket availability

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2003, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
New web access to fare bucket availability

In view of Globaliser's comment below, I have deleted my original comment. The Java access to the Sabre site is fantastic.

[This message has been edited by Frequentflyer99 (edited Dec 02, 2003).]
Old Dec 2, 2003, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
We might all be better off, though, downloading chriseng's Java tool from http://66.246.35.118/temp/Sabre.jar or the full Java installer from http://66.246.35.118/temp/install.exe (14MB download).

See his post at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum.../009504-7.html (Nov 28, 2003 09:29 PM).

At Nov 28, 2003 10:49 PM he explains why a web-based tool might just lead to this service being pulled off the web as well.

If you want the Java Runtime Environment directly from Sun instead of chriseng's site, go to http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html (I used the Windows Installation JRE Download link).

[This message has been edited by Globaliser (edited Dec 02, 2003).]
Old Dec 2, 2003, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The access is fantastic - more info than the old aeroplan site. I still miss seatmap.com though - the ability to pull up a seatmap too was great.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 5:39 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Swanhunter:
The access is fantastic - more info than the old aeroplan site. I still miss seatmap.com though - the ability to pull up a seatmap too was great.</font>
You can still do this via the UAL bookkng tool, but it is a bit clunky to get to the seatmap.

Old Dec 2, 2003, 5:44 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
This is *excellent*. Thankyou very much to chriseng for your efforts!
Old Dec 2, 2003, 6:09 am

Programs: AY Plat, SK Silver, FB Gold
Excellent tool!!!

For seatmaps I've been using www.travelgalileo.com (you have to choose a travel agent through which you want to operate, I choosed SYLINK TRAVELS AB in Stockholm at http://www.travelgalileo.com/cgi-bin...RSTOCKH%7C0N6B

However it's not as simple as seatmap.com used to be.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Frequentflyer99:
You can still do this via the UAL bookkng tool, but it is a bit clunky to get to the seatmap.

</font>
I have also been using flyaow.com's seatmap options. As you say, you can do it - but it is a little clunky. Still, beggars cannot be choosers!
Old Dec 2, 2003, 6:39 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JuPe:
Excellent tool!!!

For seatmaps I've been using www.travelgalileo.com (you have to choose a travel agent through which you want to operate, I choosed SYLINK TRAVELS AB in Stockholm at http://www.travelgalileo.com/cgi-bin/gx.cg i/AppLogic+AgencyConfig?Type=&Submit=Done&Vendor=Gal ileo&Agency=5P8CSKYLINKTRSTOCKH%7C0N6B

However it's not as simple as seatmap.com used to be.
</font>
Thanks for this. Its much less clunky than UAL/ITN and - curiously - the seatmap is much more like the BA OLCI seatmap than the usual ITN map.

[This message has been edited by Frequentflyer99 (edited Dec 02, 2003).]
Old Dec 2, 2003, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Update for those not following the thread in MilesBuzz.

The guy who (I think) does the IT for the German travel agent that hosted the original Galileo access page has written a standalone program. That is hosted at http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~hartberg/ft/SabretoolSetup.exe (currently 1.6 MB download) but he is going to update it soon with a version that will unload from Windows when you close it down.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...009504-10.html (Dec 02, 2003 03:12 AM and 05:18 AM).

It should be said, though, that the usefulness of these tools is dependent on Sabre continuing to provide the demo window at http://webservices.sabre.com/guiDemo/AirAvail.html which is by no means guaranteed. Especially once they see a sudden increase of thousands of hits on the page! But it is a great demonstration of FT solidarity that so many people have given so much of their time to do things for the benefit of the whole community.

[This message has been edited by Globaliser (edited Dec 02, 2003).]
Old Dec 2, 2003, 9:17 am

Sorry, think I may be being stupid - but how are you getting seatmaps from the Skylink Galileo site? I can't even find the number of open seats available.

And yes, the java tool is excellent - hats off to the author!
Old Dec 2, 2003, 9:38 am

Programs: BA - GGL GFL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bobnick:
Sorry, think I may be being stupid - but how are you getting seatmaps from the Skylink Galileo site? I can't even find the number of open seats available.

</font>
ditto and ditto - thanks

Old Dec 2, 2003, 9:43 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bobnick:

</font>
Its a bit of a process and it does not showe seats available, although you can get to a seatmap.

Choose "Find flights" above the boxes that show up on the home page, put in your flight details, choose fully refundable as fare type and then click "Full flight search".

Then It will give you details of the available flights. Choose your flight options including class (remember to click the dot to the left of the desired flights or it will show the first in the list). Click add to current trip (and then 'Cancel' in the pop up box that appears). For each chosen flight there is then a select seat option which brings up the seatmap. Slow at first but improves with practice.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 10:10 am

Cheers for that - I kept blindly pressing 'OK' to the box that appeared asking you to verify that the travel agent was open, rather than 'cancel'.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 10:17 am
C

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
This java piece is nothing short of awesome. Very nice.

[This message has been edited by C (edited Dec 02, 2003).]
Old Dec 3, 2003, 12:00 am

Programs: AY Plat, SK Silver, FB Gold

</font>
Yes, as I said in my first post, Travel Galileo is not as simple as seatmap.com used to be, but after you find out that you have to do a full flight search and press cancel, you will be able to have a look on the cabin configuration. Also please remember that you will not have access to the cabin map if there's no more available seats.

[This message has been edited by JuPe (edited Dec 03, 2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.