Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Another body found in the wheel well, this time on BA (LHR-JFK)

Old Dec 31, 03, 3:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan

About a week later after the same thing happened on AA flight from MBJ to JFK.

here is the story:

The body of a man was found in the wheel well of a plane that landed at John F. Kennedy International Airport from London's Heathrow Airport, authorities said.

The medical examiner planned to perform an autopsy Wednesday.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...l=chi-news-hed
Old Dec 31, 03, 4:00 pm

According to the article the flight was 177, which on Dec 30 was G-BNLK. And according to the Port Authority the plane was in LAgos on Christmas Eve. Actually it looks like it was there Dec 23. G-BNLK has traveled the following routes since the person is suspected of climbing into the wheelwell in Lagos:

Dec 23 - TO JFK
Dec 24 - To CAI
Dec 25 - To Dulles
Dec 26 - To CAI
Dec 27 - To Dulles
Dec 29 - To JFK
Dec 30 - To JFK

With returns in between to back to LHR. So the plane apparently flew a long, long way with that body.

NEW YORK (CNN) --A man was found dead Tuesday night in the wheel well of a British Airways plane at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport, authorities said.

It is the second body found in the wheel well of a plane at the airport in less than a week.

The discovery comes at a time of a heightened terror threat alert level in the nation. On Monday, the Department of Homeland Security asked that foreign air carriers have armed marshals on some flights in the United States when requested.

The body was discovered while the aircraft's first officer was conducting a routine examination after the plane's arrival from London's Heathrow Airport.

"The aircraft's first officer was conducting an examination of the plane when he was struck by a strong odor coming from the left wheel well," a law enforcement official involved in the investigation said.

The dead stowaway, a black male between the ages of 30 and 35, was wearing shoes and pants with some Nigerian currency in his pants pocket, the official said.

"The plane was in Lagos, Nigeria, on Christmas Eve, and we believe the man climbed into the wheel well while it was in Nigeria," he said.

Jim Peters with the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration said the body was found hidden in the wheel well about 7 p.m. ET, was removed immediately and taken to the medical examiner's office.

A British Airways spokesman confirmed that a body was removed from the wheel well of one of the airline's jets, but he declined to provide additional information and would not speculate on any possible breach of security.

Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Tony Ciavolella said the Boeing 747 flew to JFK from Heathrow as Flight 177.

The FBI, Port Authority, Queens district attorney's office and Transportation Security Administration are conducting a joint investigation, Ciavolella said.

On Christmas Day, the body of a man was found at JFK on an American Airlines flight from Jamaica.

[This message has been edited by BigKing (edited Dec 31, 2003).]

Old Dec 31, 03, 5:48 pm
dnw

With all due respect to the deceased, the more disturbing thing is a) how did he get onboard in the first place and b) how could it not have been picked up for so long?

It just adds to what I and many others have said for so long- airport security is for show, to make us feel better (and delay us along the way). If someone can place themselves undetected into an aircraft and that same aircraft can fly for x-further days without detection, why not a bomb with a timer...
Old Dec 31, 03, 6:00 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dnw:
With all due respect to the deceased, the more disturbing thing is a) how did he get onboard in the first place and b) how could it not have been picked up for so long?

It just adds to what I and many others have said for so long- airport security is for show, to make us feel better (and delay us along the way). If someone can place themselves undetected into an aircraft and that same aircraft can fly for x-further days without detection, why not a bomb with a timer...
</font>
I agree with everything you wrote but if the theory of the person getting on in Lagos is correct then it is less suprising that he was able to get onboard. I don't imagine Lagos has the resources for security that LHR or most other European or American airports have; and secondly I am most suprised that the body was not discovered, the plane is inspected on the ground on arrival and before departure with the wheel wells open. With the number of flights the aircraft took that is an awful lot of inspections that did not catch the person
Old Dec 31, 03, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BigKing:
G-BNLK has traveled the following routes since the person is suspected of climbing into the wheelwell in Lagos:

Dec 23 - TO JFK
Dec 24 - To CAI
Dec 25 - To Dulles
Dec 26 - To CAI
Dec 27 - To Dulles
</font>
I was on G-BNLK coming back from Dulles on the 27th, well arriving LHR on the 28th. The landing was a little bumpy &lt;ducking&gt;
Old Dec 31, 03, 9:15 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
I was on G-BNLK coming back from Dulles on the 27th, well arriving LHR on the 28th. The landing was a little bumpy &lt;ducking&gt;</font>
That is in very poor taste but I have honestly had to restrain myself from writing some of the comments that come to mind relative to appropriate mileage and tier points credit, BA's new third world traveller class of service and of course the appropiate level of compensation.
Old Jan 1, 04, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BigKing:
That is in very poor taste but I have honestly had to restrain myself from writing some of the comments that come to mind relative to appropriate mileage and tier points credit, BA's new third world traveller class of service and of course the appropiate level of compensation.</font>
I got full tier points and mileage for my last minute booked Y one way ticket Something I wasn't expecting
Old Jan 1, 04, 12:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dnw:

</font>
Lagos Airport has a well deserved reputation that it works very hard to keep. The crime problem was at one point so bad that they've even had instances of planes being stopped by bandits whlie making their way to the runway! Lagos is such a ....hole of a city that Internaut actually marked Angola higher up in terms of medium risk places he'd happily go to if asked.

That people can easly get onto aircraft at Lagos Airport is therefore hardly suprising. Of course, someone with wearing one of those neat suicide vests so beloved of Arab terrorists could also get into the under carriage of a BA plane!

I wonder what the Department of Homeland Security would make of this.
Old Jan 1, 04, 1:04 pm
dnw

I agree with everything thats been said- but the point remains the same. In any connected system, failure at any point affects the whole, and that failure is almost *always* at the weakest point... political correctness aside for one moment, taking a toothpick off me at security is a complete waste of time when people can climb into the wheel-wells in Lagos or BAA is hiring illegal immigrants at 4.50 an hour to ground handle aircraft...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Internaut:
I wonder what the Department of Homeland Security would make of this.</font>
Increase the number of people pulled aside for shoe xrays!...

[This message has been edited by dnw (edited Jan 01, 2004).]
Old Jan 1, 04, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA (sigh) Blue (thanks strikers). Arsenal Gold
Lagos is absolute crap. I remember placing my bag on the x-ray machine and having the attendant say "that hasn't worked in years." He then looked at me and said "big bag, it will take a very long time to search" as he held out his hand. $2US later, I was through.

I was on Sabena at the time, and they brought their own security down from Europe to check over everyone. Two guys flew down with the plane and rescreened everyone getting on the plane.

Nonetheless, I'm a bit concerned about LHR's security and aircraft checks after this.

Search this Thread