Search

Transatlantic: 744 vs. 777

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2003, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Transatlantic: 744 vs. 777

Is there any difference in comfort or service between the 744 and the 777 on BA's transatantic flights?
Old Dec 18, 2003, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Seat layouts are obviously different - but service should be the same (in terms of catering and drinks) subject to the calibre of the crew.

Some Gatwick based 777s have not yet been converted to the New Club World and World Traveller Plus configs and therefore have Old Club World cradle seats instead. These are all planned to be converted by mid-2004.

So it mainly comes down to which seats are best on each plane. Check out :

www.seatexpert.com
www.seatguru.com

For maps of 747 and 777s - with helpful added notes telling you which seats are best.

Old Dec 18, 2003, 9:08 am

Programs: Mucci Gold Class
I prefer 747s. The 777s feel a little like a bus to me. Especially in J (cabin is too big). The cabins are broken up more on a 747 (at least to my mind) and of course you have the nose, the upper deck... there's just something special about the 747s.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 10:12 am

You can't beat a 747 (400), in my opinion - beautiful plane (in a big, lumbering sort of way...). They have a character all of their own: to be a 777 is just like a metal tube - much less interesting.

Boo
(big 747 fan - how sad is that?)
Old Dec 18, 2003, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find the 777 very noisy in the middle and rear cabins. As noted above, the cabin feels too big and open - except for the forward cabin. The A330/340 family are much nicer - cosier cabin, quieter and just with a better feel.

I would take the 747 anyday, in any class.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I should have mentioned that I'll be in F, if it makes any difference. I, too, have a thing for the 747: it's a beautiful bird, and a wonder everytime one of those things lumbers down the runway and lifts into the air!
Old Dec 18, 2003, 11:20 am
Suspended

I feel the 747 has a much more private feel in F than 777 does. Truely it is an exceptional experience.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mtacchi:
I feel the 747 has a much more private feel in F than 777 does. Truely it is an exceptional experience.</font>
I agree. No traffic forward except to the closet at the beginning and end of the flight.

Old Dec 18, 2003, 1:17 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Oh the 747 is superior BY FAR in F. Very private cabin. Zero traffic... very secluded. Nothing is better than the nose of a 747. It's my favorite way to fly.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Across the Atlantic, across the Pacific, over Africa, Asia or the polar regions, there is no finer perch to be had than a First Class suite aboard a 747. BA offers one of the finest examples of this.

Have a good trip!
Old Dec 18, 2003, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input. I've gone ahead and booked one of the 747 LHR-JFK flights on BA, and grabbed seat 1A at seatguru's recommendation.

By the way, I flew eastbound on an AA 777. I very much am looking forward to comparing the experiences.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Blumie:
Thanks everyone for your input. I've gone ahead and booked one of the 747 LHR-JFK flights on BA, and grabbed seat 1A at seatguru's recommendation.</font>
How did you manage to grab 1A? It is generally not available for pre-assignment except to BA Golds.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 2:50 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Boo Boo Too:
You can't beat a 747 (400), in my opinion - beautiful plane (in a big, lumbering sort of way...). They have a character all of their own: to be a 777 is just like a metal tube - much less interesting.
</font>
It may look like a big, lumbering beast, but it cruises 50 knots faster than a 777. book me on a 747 any time.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Always Flyin:
How did you manage to grab 1A? It is generally not available for pre-assignment except to BA Golds.</font>
I logged on to my executive club account (I just signed up, so I'm EC blue) and followed the on line check in procedures. At one point, it showed me my seat assignment (4A) and asked if I wanted to change it. When I clicked on the "change seat assignment" link, it brought up a seat map that showed 1A available and it let me take it. I was surprised based on what I had read on seatguru (i.e., that it's usually reserved for golds and VIPs).
Old Dec 18, 2003, 3:40 pm

The 747's are better in WT+ too as you get more room. Both aircraft are eight abrest in WT+, where-as the 777 is only nine abrest in WT, compared to the 747's ten. Although the actual seat size is the same, it feels roomier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.